Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Frustrated by the lack of progress made in the search for Hayley, Klaus turns up the heat by taking hostages from each of the three New Orleans supernatural factions. Freya goes to Mystic Falls to check on Hope, who has been sent back to the Salvatore School. Vincent seeks guidance from Ivy after learning that Klaus' erratic behavior is escalating.

Promo:

Klaus is back to Klausing things up--threats, ultimatums, and bloodshed. What did that get him? Nothing, but more enemies. Congrats! Hope really is Klaus' daughter. She's impulsive, powerful, quick to anger, and not inclined to listen to anyone else.

• Love 2

So, I see that Klaus' grief over losing Elijah made him really go unhinged a bit. JM did an excellent job with the Klaus/Marcel scene, but honestly, Klaus never listened to Elijah much anyway. The only thing Elijah really did was prevent as little bloodshed as possible. 

So, are they actually going to find a dead Hayley at the end of all this? I'd be impressed if they did. They're certainly foreshadowing Hayley's death in order to trigger Hope going evil, but is the show brave enough to kill off the Hayley Marshall? I know this show tends to kill anyone off and that nobody's really safe, but I always considered Hayley the show's pet. I guess, though, they do have Hope and it would propel her storyline forward if her mother was found dead.

Speaking of Hope, her subplot with Freya was very nicely done. Finally, a Mikaelson who has their head on straight about how the family deals with loss and grief! And she tells Hope that she needs to prepare and why it's important. What a nice aunt/niece moment. 

I like Ivy and Vincent together. I don't want anything bad to happen to Ivy.

Also, Roman is officially on my suspect list. He's kind of creepy with Hope. Plus, another tick for Hope going full on evil is if her romantic interest kidnapped and killed her mother. 

So, I'm glad Steven Krueger was promoted to a series regular because he's finally getting his own story. He is so turning on Marcel, and I am looking forward to it. 

So, werewolf or vampire hating Nazis? Ok, then. 

• Love 1

Fingers crossed so Vincent survives this season. He speaks the truth and I love it. Also Josh, for being the one vampire who doesn't throw his weight around. Marcel's "who are you?" moment with Greta was pretty good. Hope is irritating as hell.

Are half-day-old beignets still good?

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh, Marcel. You've known for hundreds of years that if you want to succeed or be happy or be a halfway decent person, you should do THE OPPOSITE of Klaus, yet for some reason you suddenly decided to listen to him and embrace being Klaus Jr. after you just saw how miserably that failed? Becoming a tyrant of the vampires is just going to encourage the vampires to unite the witches and werewolves against you. You are quickly losing every ally you ever had, not just from the witches and werewolves but from the vampires too. Ruling with fear is not going to get the others to help you find Hayley. Any goodwill you had from witches, werewolves, or vampires who liked and respected Hayley now have their energy focused on bringing you down.

You know the writers have made their main character into a complete DICK when in order to try to get you to root for him, they make his latest enemy NAZIS. I can just imagine the conversation in the writers' room. "Come on, who can we pit Klaus against that EVERYONE hates? Ooh, I know! Some good old fashioned Nazis!"

OF COURSE Klaus's brilliant plan is his usual MO - threaten people with killing and torturing their loved ones to get them to do what he wants. As Josh said, how creative.

I laughed when Klaus said that the vampires have ALWAYS hated the hybrid freaks. Always? As in since about ten years ago when you killed Jules, Jenna, and Elena to break your mother's curse and became the first known hybrid? And for the record, Klaus, the supernatural world doesn't hate hybrids for being freaks. They hate hybrids because you murdered even more of their own kind in order to become a hybrid in the first place and then you used your power as a hybrid to enslave (I'm sorry, SIRE) them to become your obedient army so that they would kill even more people, either with their incurable bites or good old fashioned violence. If Klaus hadn't been such a colossal dick of a hybrid and abused his hybrid power, people would not hate hybrids.

I've been suspicious of the boy who sweats diamonds since he suddenly started talking to Hope for no apparent reason in the first episode of the season. I'm still suspicious of him. And has he no manners at all? He didn't say hi to Freya or even acknowledge her existence. RUDE!

Loved Vincent first telling Klaus that the witches actually respected Hayley and tried to find her as soon as they knew she had disappeared. I also loved when he told Klaus at the end of the episode that the witches were done being the Mikaelsons' on call butt monkeys. I LOATHE how all of the Mikaelsons just blow off Klaus's horrible abusive violent behavior as "he's just being Klaus." This week Freya's response was to tell Vincent to ride out Klaus's bad mood. If anyone besides Klaus spoke to Rebekah, Freya, Finn, Kol, or Elijah the way Klaus speaks to everyone, they wouldn't stand for it, but when Klaus does it, their reaction is the equivalent of "she's just being Miley."

I had to laugh when Hope said that the twins are evil mean girl brats. So they take after Caroline, eh?

12 minutes ago, under the el said:

Are half-day-old beignets still good?

In my experience, no, but like any comfort food, I guess if you're really craving them then you'll take what you can get. Hope didn't seem very excited about them though.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Klaus is back to Klausing things up--threats, ultimatums, and bloodshed. What did that get him? Nothing, but more enemies. Congrats! Hope really is Klaus' daughter. She's impulsive, powerful, quick to anger, and not inclined to listen to anyone else.

Well once he explained what he was doing it KINDA made sense that he was testing the different factions....up until he killed members of the two factions he just figured out DIDN'T take Haley. If he'd done his threaten/separate/work them into a frenzy plan and watched to see who STILL hadn't really tried to find Haley and then let everyone go but Josh and THEN rounded up all the vampires and taken their rings and put the fear of God into them I would have finally seen this master planner that everyone says that he is.  Then he would have the witches and and wolves still on his side and he could squeeze the vampires to find Haley.

That being said I don't see why they need Vincent. Once Freya gets back they still have a powerful witch they can utilize and Hope in their back pocket if they need more power.  As long as the witches and wolves don't actively try to impede the search Klaus and Marcel  should still be able to do their thing. Except that he started a war and while theyre looking for Haley they are gonna have to watch their backs. 

• Love 1

As much as I like Vincent getting a hot love interest, I am a little suspicious of Ivy. Actually, now that I think about it, I've been suspicious of just about every new character: Diamond Sweat, Hot Witch, Elijah's new girlfriend. Hell, I'm still suspicious of sneaky little Hope. Part of me thought that she re-kidnapped Hayley out of that coffin just to make her disappearance an even bigger deal to Klaus.

I think the only new characters I haven't been outright suspicious of are Declan and Lisina. Ha, with my luck that means that Declan has been compelled or is under some kind of spell and he'll end up being a sleeper agent in a few episodes. Lisina is the only new character who I think is 100% exactly what she seems to be: a werewolf who was trying to protect Henry without any ulterior motives. If it turns out that she is the one who hung him to start a big war, then I'll be kicking myself.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

As much as I like Vincent getting a hot love interest, I am a little suspicious of Ivy. Actually, now that I think about it, I've been suspicious of just about every new character: Diamond Sweat, Hot Witch, Elijah's new girlfriend. Hell, I'm still suspicious of sneaky little Hope. Part of me thought that she re-kidnapped Hayley out of that coffin just to make her disappearance an even bigger deal to Klaus.

I'm pretty much convinced now that it's Hope's new boy toy. Look at him; he's basically a Nazi's wet dream. He also was in the Mikaelson home for at least a couple of hours without supervision. He looks older than a teenager (could be poor casting, could be intentional casting to make it clear that he's lived decades), he's a vampire and he's suspiciously clingy to Hope. Also, TV tropes point toward him being this evil guy looking to jumpstart Hope's prophecy from Ivy's cards. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

He also was in the Mikaelson home for at least a couple of hours without supervision.

That really bothered me when it happened. You'd think that someone would have reprimanded her but instead Freya just said, "Let's talk about the cute boy you had in your room!" Are you kidding me, lady? This vampire was invited into the Mikaelson family home and you don't even know which vamp family he's from and he had access to all of your weird old artifacts. This should be cause for alarm, not girl talk! I know she was trying to make nice with Hope but still. She's still a teenager who needs to be more careful in general and extra careful because she's a Mikaelson. For the record, if one of my relatives had come home and found me hiding a boy in my bedroom at that age, I would have been in a lot of trouble and I'm not even a super rare tribrid whose dad slaughtered half of Europe!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I had to laugh when Hope said that the twins are evil mean girl brats. So they take after Caroline, eh?

Followed by Freya's observation that it looks like the twins enjoy a bottle just like their dad. Was the implication that Alaric is a drunk? That's random and I hope there is followup. Still hoping we see the Saltzman clan (and Caroline again) at some point since we hear about them about once a week. 

I always thought Alaric's love of good liquor was established years ago on TVD; he and Damon were known to bond and snipe at each other over bourbon, I believe.

Even after all these years I still cannot with Klaus' grand plans and the way he treats well, everyone (although still love JM's portrayal of  him).  And as always I'm Team Vincent. 

I'm totally giving Diamond Sweat the side eye. Add that Nazi symbol and I immediately thought hm, he does seem like a perfect Nazi prototype.

I am totally down with the search for Hayley resulting in finding her corpse. Come on, show, do it! 

• Love 1