Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: So Do Our Minutes Hasten

(edited)
Kiera faces more hard truths when paired on an investigation with Dillon. Julian puts himself in the spotlight by exposing a corporation's dirty deeds. Alec is put under the public microscope with the discovery of an unpleasant secret by Carlos.

And back to the good stuff after last week's terrible episode. I enjoyed this one immensely, although I desperately wanted either Carlos or Keira to point out their investigation wasn't "taking Liber8's side" or "seeing things from Betty's POV" but just doing their damn job.

Betty's death should have been shocking but it was telegraphed so much in that typical TV writer way of suddenly bolstering a character that I knew she was going to die. Which is a shame. Still, I think that Betty hasn't had much of a role in the show for at least a season so this was the best thing to do narratively.

Incidentally I flove what they're doing with Garza. I used to hate her and she's now my fav.

Edited by AudienceofOne
(edited)

But is there a backup Betty over in Dimensional Violations Prison?

I don't think we can discount the possibility of there being a backup anybody, but it seems unlikely unless she was a closet time traveller.

Edited by AudienceofOne

Cross posted from TWOP on how unlikely the corporately-owned police force is

The truth is that, as we've seen in many countries including my own (Australia), becoming a corporate police state is not as ham fisted as having a company buy the local police. It's kind of dumb. It's about the corporations gaining so much power that protecting their interests becomes the law. And very often these can be seen as maintaining order, stopping riots or protests, or as stopping violence. They can seem justified as part of maintaining the peace because corporate regulation is seen as separate to normal policing.

Corporations start to gain control over more and more aspects of government until the government literally can't afford to oppose them. In this case, by mid century, governments have collapsed and corporations taken over everything. That's the point at which the police would be privatised; not now. While watching, I can manage the suspension of disbelief. The problem is that, as a social narrative, it makes the show's point suffer because the final outcome - Continuum's 2077 - is made to seem like it couldn't happen in our society. Which it very much could.

Cross posted from TWOP on how unlikely the corporately-owned police force is

The truth is that, as we've seen in many countries including my own (Australia), becoming a corporate police state is not as ham fisted as having a company buy the local police. It's kind of dumb. It's about the corporations gaining so much power that protecting their interests becomes the law. And very often these can be seen as maintaining order, stopping riots or protests, or as stopping violence. They can seem justified as part of maintaining the peace because corporate regulation is seen as separate to normal policing.

Corporations start to gain control over more and more aspects of government until the government literally can't afford to oppose them. In this case, by mid century, governments have collapsed and corporations taken over everything. That's the point at which the police would be privatised; not now. While watching, I can manage the suspension of disbelief. The problem is that, as a social narrative, it makes the show's point suffer because the final outcome - Continuum's 2077 - is made to seem like it couldn't happen in our society. Which it very much could.

Thank you. Great post. A little more subtlety please, show. I always found the 'corporations are evil!!!!!' part of the show to be so ham fisted.

But is there a backup Betty over in Dimensional Violations Prison?

Oooo. I hope so. Let's see...how would that be? A time traveler goes back to the moment before she is shot and grabs her to time travel her out of the line of fire. Nah. I watched way too many episodes of The Tomorrow People.
  • Love 1

I have no idea what's going on anymore. So the guy who shot Elton/Betty was hired by Somanto to kill all those people and plant something (a bug? A bomb?) in the police station? Why? And that woman Carlos slept with is in on it somehow, right? But Liber 8 is not, so Garza went and beat up the hired killer to try to get him to stop framing Liber8 for for crimes, but she doesn't know who he works for? Where was she taking Julian? And how did Betty know Elton? And why did the hired guy kill Elton too? Aren't they on the same side?

I do like Garza and Kiera being sort of buds. I want them on the same side.

I have no idea what's going on anymore. So the guy who shot Elton/Betty was hired by Somanto to kill all those people and plant something (a bug? A bomb?) in the police station? Why? And that woman Carlos slept with is in on it somehow, right? But Liber 8 is not, so Garza went and beat up the hired killer to try to get him to stop framing Liber8 for for crimes, but she doesn't know who he works for? Where was she taking Julian? And how did Betty know Elton? And why did the hired guy kill Elton too? Aren't they on the same side?

I do like Garza and Kiera being sort of buds. I want them on the same side.

Yes the Navy seal guy was hired by Somanto to kill the other company's board members and was cleaning up loose ends by taking out Betty & Elton.

He probably heard Kiera et al on the bug he planted at the police station. He planted the bug to spy. The whistleblower lady worked for Monsanto and they gave her phony documents to release to ruin Julian's credibility (and any future leaked stories). From what I understand, Liber8 knows that someone or some group is co-opting their name online and committing acts. We, the audience, are pretty sure that a corporation is behind all this nasty business but as Kiera pointed out, it might not be an individual behind everything so there's no one name to uncover. I have a theory that Garza is taking Julian to someplace where he'll kill the fake whistleblower lady. Betty contacted Elton on Tor/the Dark Net. See above why Navy seal guy killed Elton. The one part I haven't figured out is how much Dillon knows. Carlos was right, splitting him and Kiera up basically allowed Somanto to complete their Julian smear job. Very good episode! I was talking to the TV so much, my cats were freaking out.

So Dillion has completely committed to Evil Corporate Empire.  And his daughter has infiltrated Liber8.

Carlos is such a whore.  Don't ever change Carlos, I love you just the way you are.

• Love 1

So Dillion has completely committed to Evil Corporate Empire.  And his daughter has infiltrated Liber8.

On various crime shows, Dillon would be sabotaging Carlos and Kiera's investigation because he was being blackmailed by whoever has his daughter.

No, she went undercover as a Liber8 devotee in exchange for not going to jail for being involved in the violent protest, right?

That was a very high risk situation, so I am guessing it went south, and she is now being used to blackmail Dillon.

It could be straightforward, or it could be more convoluted with various factions setting up various players etc.

(edited)

I think Loandbehold is right. The daughter is going undercover to get recruited by Liber8 so they have someone on the inside. At least, that's what I thought, but I have trouble following this show, so...

Thank you to Grammaeryn for the explanation! But I thought Betty was trying to communicate with Curtis in the chat room. What connection does she have to Elton?

I think Dillon is a plant for the corporations.

Edited by madam magpie
(edited)

The whole point of having Dillon's daughter being arrested for a crime, was that it could draw Liber8 towards her as a potential new recruit, so, that she could infiltrate the group and gain access/trust from Liber8, and in the end pass info to her dad. Well, that is what I got from that episode anyways. Also, it seems that Dillon's wife/ex-wife doesn't know about this, so, it seems that only Dillon and his daughter know about this set up (up till now and Kiera, Betty, and Carlos are now just putting the pieces together).

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1

I always found the 'corporations are evil!!!!!' part of the show to be so ham fisted.

This. I mean, really: the big bad is named Somanto, an obvious stand-in for one of the poster children for "evil corporate juggernaut", Monsanto? Enough already, we get it!

Noooo!! Betty!

I knew she was a goner halfway through the episode but I'm still grieving right now. I would only forgive the show if it gives me more Keira and Garza together.

Edited by Dovega