Type keyword(s) to search

Vitamins & Supplements

• Start Topic

I have a friend who really likes the Orgain brand organic plant based protein powder. I know it's chocolate that she uses, but I don't know if it's the Chocolate Fudge or the Chocolate Peanut Butter.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, I checked in with my friend, and it's the Chocolate Fudge.

I know that she adds it to a frozen fruit, spinach, and oat milk drink she makes. Also has some chia seeds, peanut butter, and other stuff like that in it. I made myself a few times. I can't do the seeds, however. My dentist scared me off of anything that could get caught under my gums.

• Like 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I have a friend who really likes the Orgain brand organic plant based protein powder. I know it's chocolate that she uses, but I don't know if it's the Chocolate Fudge or the Chocolate Peanut Butter.

I like the Orgain Clean Protein shakes, they have 20g of protein! It is grass fed protein, no soy ingredients, gluten free, and no artificial preservatives. I drink one almost every day, just for the protein content.  They also make Orgain Organic Nutrition grass fed protein shake. It has 16g of protein plus 20 minerals & vitamins. I have one or the other everyday! They taste great, not chalky at all.

I mostly get it from Amazon but many stores carry it too.

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I’m trying Bone Maximizer III, capsules opened and added to yogurt.  I prefer it to the bio-dent I was taking in oatmeal, but I don’t know if either of them will help.  I’ve read good reviews about both, and the bone maximizer has hydroxyapatite in it. so, I’m going to get tired of eating yogurt three times a day, but I’m using those big tubs of Noosa Greek yogurt, and splitting it into three servings.  This is for my teeth, as well as my bones.  

I’ve read reviews from people who have been taking it for decades, and I’m wondering how I missed it.  I think it’s a company that’s rebranded. I’m going to try the drink with collagen added, if I can find it locally.  Fresh thyme only has the capsules.  I’m wishing I’d found it years ago. I also just read something from a woman who makes her own green juices, and she said they’ve helped her bones.  So, I’m kicking myself, because I have a juicer, and a good blender, but I’m terrible at making things regularly.  An online friend also said she’s been eating a lot of greens, and at her last eye exam, they said her eyes have improved.  She’s older than me, so if I can get myself organized (heh, okay), maybe I can improve something.  

I couldn’t find my protein powder at home, and grabbed the cheapest one I could find at Walmart, a few weeks ago,  I actually like it. It’s in a big bag, creamy vanilla.  100% gold standard plant protein.  My usual one is plant fusion.  

Edited by Anela
18 hours ago, Anela said:

An online friend also said she’s been eating a lot of greens, and at her last eye exam, they said her eyes have improved. 

Unless it's the only thing she changed in her lifestyle, there's no way to know the greens caused the improvement.

I have a horrible diet.  I eat mostly processed foods, and vegetables only very rarely--a salad maybe every two weeks (the cranberry walnut one with chicken at Potbelly, which it turns out has more calories than anything else on the menu!).

I got my eyes tested the other day, 18 months after the previous exam.  One eye improved by .25 diopter (it's now -3.50) and the other eye improved by .75 diopter (it's now -4.00).  If people want to improve their vision, I therefore recommend a diet that alternates among Whataburger, Culver's, Jersey Mike's, Panda Express, Potbelly, Schlotzsky's, and Chipotle.

• Like 3
On 3/26/2024 at 1:50 AM, Anela said:

I’m trying Bone Maximizer III, capsules opened and added to yogurt.  I prefer it to the bio-dent I was taking in oatmeal, but I don’t know if either of them will help.  I’ve read good reviews about both, and the bone maximizer has hydroxyapatite in it. so, I’m going to get tired of eating yogurt three times a day, but I’m using those big tubs of Noosa Greek yogurt, and splitting it into three servings.  This is for my teeth, as well as my bones.  

I’ve read reviews from people who have been taking it for decades, and I’m wondering how I missed it.  I think it’s a company that’s rebranded. I’m going to try the drink with collagen added, if I can find it locally.  Fresh thyme only has the capsules.  I’m wishing I’d found it years ago. I also just read something from a woman who makes her own green juices, and she said they’ve helped her bones.  So, I’m kicking myself, because I have a juicer, and a good blender, but I’m terrible at making things regularly.  An online friend also said she’s been eating a lot of greens, and at her last eye exam, they said her eyes have improved.  She’s older than me, so if I can get myself organized (heh, okay), maybe I can improve something.  

I couldn’t find my protein powder at home, and grabbed the cheapest one I could find at Walmart, a few weeks ago,  I actually like it. It’s in a big bag, creamy vanilla.  100% gold standard plant protein.  My usual one is plant fusion.  

On 3/26/2024 at 8:27 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Unless it's the only thing she changed in her lifestyle, there's no way to know the greens caused the improvement.

I have a horrible diet.  I eat mostly processed foods, and vegetables only very rarely--a salad maybe every two weeks (the cranberry walnut one with chicken at Potbelly, which it turns out has more calories than anything else on the menu!).

I got my eyes tested the other day, 18 months after the previous exam.  One eye improved by .25 diopter (it's now -3.50) and the other eye improved by .75 diopter (it's now -4.00).  If people want to improve their vision, I therefore recommend a diet that alternates among Whataburger, Culver's, Jersey Mike's, Panda Express, Potbelly, Schlotzsky's, and Chipotle.

Agreed. 
If you've been nearsighted in your youth, it's possible for your eyes to get "better" as you age until eventually you are farsighted and need reading glasses. That happened to my Dad. 

Do you know the age of your green-eating online friend, @Anela?

Of course, @StatisticalOutlier, you'd have to live long enough for that to happen. So, hopefully you are at least taking a multivitamin to compensate for your habit of not eating fresh produce. ❤️

I have made it a habit to try to consume at least 1 serving each of a fruit and a vegetable every day — which is probably a barely the minimum needed, so I also take a low-dose multi vitamin daily. 

What I need to work on is more protein. I rarely eat meat. Being a colon cancer survivor has made me very suspicious of additives, so that doesn't leave very many products.
I am forcing myself to try OWYN Plant Protein drinks, but whatever the sweetener is tastes weird to me. Plus I am very suspicious of "Natural Flavor."

• Like 1
On 1/18/2024 at 5:17 PM, emma675 said:

I think this goes here? Can anyone recommend decent tasting protein shakes or bars or powders? I need to get more protein (I eat chicken, turkey, and ground beef but I'm allergic to most seafood) and my doctor recommended supplementing but she didn't have any specific brand recommendations. Everything I've tried in the past has been chalky or had weird chemical aftertastes.

Are you allergic to salmon? (if so, never mind but I've never heard of someone being allergic to salmon/halibut/tuna) - fleshy fish like salmon are easily cooked in many ways and a great source of protein! The other possibility is nuts! Try throwing roasted or raw almonds and/or walnuts into your salads or just munching on a handful a few times a day - find whatever nut you prefer. And last but not least is eggs! You can have eggs for dinner as a frittata and throw every kind of lovely cheese/onions/herbs in...or just scramble or fry a few up as a meal or snack. Frankly, protein powder is a substitute for REAL food so try to get more real protein into you before you resort to a chemical, manufactured solution.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, stewedsquash said:

@shapeshifter
Cheddar cheese is a high protein food so your love of grilled cheese sandwiches should help you find protein instead of powder options. Also, lentils and peanut butter are high protein options. 

Yeah, I think I saw some article recently (NY Times?) that said we should be getting a lot more protein than is generally recommended, and it kind of sent me into a mental spiral. 

This page from Harvard Medical School says to just multiply your weight in pounds by 0.36, which doesn't make sense to me either, but what do I know?

Cheese and Triscuits Hint of Salt crackers sounds good right now. 😉❤️ 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

If you've been nearsighted in your youth, it's possible for your eyes to get "better" as you age until eventually you are farsighted and need reading glasses. That happened to my Dad.

I didn't need glasses at all until I was 22, and used them only for driving.  Then within two years my eyes were bad enough that I needed glasses all the time, so I got contacts.  And my eyes went downhill fast after that, settling in the -5.00 range for a couple of decades.  And then when I got older they started getting better. 

This most recent improvement has been wonderful because my multifocal contacts are working well enough that I don't HAVE to use reading glasses like I used to, in addition to the multifocal contacts.  I think it's because the contacts aren't having to correct as much for distance as they used to, so my eyes don't need as much near correction to counteract the far correction. 

Also, I forgot to include Popeye's in the list of places to eat if you want your nearsightedness to improve. 

Of course, @StatisticalOutlier, you'd have to live long enough for that to happen. So, hopefully you are at least taking a multivitamin to compensate for your habit of not eating fresh produce. ❤️ 

I started taking a multivitamin back before settling into this current diet regimen.  I looked at the nutrition information for a bunch of different foods and realized that to get 100% of all the required nutrients, you'd have to eat an enormous amount of food, and be strategic about it.  A multivitamin might not help (especially since without regulations, who knows what they actually contain), but it's unlikely to harm me.

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Plus I am very suspicious of "Natural Flavor."

Good old beaver butt.

• Like 1