Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E03: Benedict Cumberbatch, Matt LeBlanc, Maxine Peake, Mary Berry, Claudia Winkleman, Calvin Harris

• Start Topic

Graham is joined by Oscar nominee Benedict Cumberbatch, playing Dr Strange in Avengers: Infinity War, Matt LeBlanc, playing himself in the final series of Episodes, actress Maxine Peake, playing a 70s club comedian in Funny Cow and Mary Berry and Claudia Winkleman talking about new BBC1 show Britain's Best Cook. Plus music from Calvin Harris featuring Dua Lipa, performing new single One Kiss.

BBC America we need to talk. You moved the Graham Norton show to 11 o'clock. Kinda late for me sometimes 10 is stretching it.

I found it weird that during Leblanc's story about friends he referred to the character Ross and didn't mention the actor at all. Not "David S. who plays Ross on the show." (I know hos last name I also know that a don't know how to spell it) I also feel like he dragged the show down. He was very subdued but I don't know if that's his personality. His pope joke not good too much of a build up.

Mary Berry is adorable and I would totally watch her show. I did like her story about the airport and her baking ingredients. I didn't like the host lady helping tell the story like she was there when it happened. Graham asks about a story and he says "you know that time I'm talking about" then the tell the story. This lady was acting a role in a strong that she didn't actually witness. Just seemed weird to me. Telling the story second hand is one thing but Mary Berry is there she can tell the whole thing herself just prompt her a little to get to the part you think is funny.

So Maxine Peake was just there. Talked about her movie and just sat there. There didn't seem like much back and forth between the couch members. Cumberbatch tried but there just wasn't all that much he could do.

4 hours ago, msrachelj said:

was this a repeat? i turned it off after graham mentioned something about matt's new season of "episodes". i was under the impression it was over.

For some reasons BBC decided to sit on it for another several months and the final series is currently on the air.

"I wasn't listening." Hee! (Though it's not as if "café" is unknown to Americans. We usually pronounce it à la française, however, with the emphasis on the second syllable, not the first.)

I love the time-traveler bit. The old pictures are astoundingly similar to the present-day celebrity.

Tangent: Claudia Winkleman's half-sister, Sophie, is married to Lord Frederick Windsor, son of a cousin of the queen, Prince Michael of Kent, and his ultra-racist wife, Princess Michael of Kent. (Her father was a Nazi, and she wore a blackamoor brooch to a Christmas lunch where she met Meghan Markle for the first time.)

So Maxine Peake was just there. Talked about her movie and just sat there. There didn't seem like much back and forth between the couch members. Cumberbatch tried but there just wasn't all that much he could do.

Agreed. Kind of a blah show. When Graham asked them to tell a joke, hers was so meh (and she just did a movie about standup, fer cry eye!). Cumberbatch's was cute because, even though it was corny, he qualified it as a "dad joke" and I can imagine a little kid laughing his head off at it. LeBlanc's at least was a joke too but way too long.

A Cumberbatch/Berry/Winkleman show would have been a lot of fun, I think.

On 5/5/2018 at 5:50 AM, notcreative enough said:

Mary Berry is adorable and I would totally watch her show. I did like her story about the airport and her baking ingredients. I didn't like the host lady helping tell the story like she was there when it happened. Graham asks about a story and he says "you know that time I'm talking about" then the tell the story. This lady was acting a role in a strong that she didn't actually witness. Just seemed weird to me. Telling the story second hand is one thing but Mary Berry is there she can tell the whole thing herself just prompt her a little to get to the part you think is funny.

I kinda agree, but I think Winkleman could sense that Mary was taking too long getting to the point or wasn't really hitting the right points for the story. It was done awkwardly, though, as if Mary were a doddering old aunt.

I thought the show was pretty good. I'm not generally a big Matt LeBlanc fan -- I mean, I'm not any kind of fan; he's just kind of "there" -- but I thought he was pretty good. Heck that "I wasn't listening" line was worth his presence. 

I don't know Maxine Peake. I just I should google and see if I've seen her in anything. Is Funny Cow a movie or a TV series? It sounds like The Marvelous Mrs Maisel.

• Love 2