Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Lumps

I thought this show might be better if it focused on the "lovable" losers who work in the gym. 

Nope.

I had one laugh out loud moment, but I forget what it was already. I think it was with the fat lesbian, and I don't even like her.

I still want to punch Michael right between his tweezed eyebrows. I find his stereotypical mannerisms to be offensive, no different from the "shuck and jive" behavior as applied to African-Americans.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 2

This show keeps forgetting it's set in Brooklyn, NY. The manager of the rival gym was like some stock midwestern tourist caricature.

Also the actor who plays the school principal is really bad.

Edited by TimWil
  • Love 2

Wow, Fortune Feimster looked totally different all dolled up!  I don't know if I would have recognized her.

One little moment - When Dana's boyfriend came charging into the gym demanding to see Michael, Vince stepped between them. I also like how Vince decided to learn math and teach it to Michael. It might not work, but it was a sweet idea.

• Love 1

The dim but sweet uncle is the character that really saves the show, although this was the first episode where I didn't mind Ruby. Imagine opening a gym for women and calling it "Lumps" though. 

I find his stereotypical mannerisms to be offensive, no different from the "shuck and jive" behavior as applied to African-Americans.

If you are implying that every gay kid should be straight-acting in order to be socially acceptable then you are reinforcing an attitude towards gay kids that they cannot be themselves and that there's something wrong with them. Kids like Michael go through life getting bullied and taunted every day because too many people think they need to be more straight-acting or "butch." 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

If you are implying that every gay kid should be straight-acting in order to be socially acceptable then you are reinforcing an attitude towards gay kids that they cannot be themselves and that there's something wrong with them. Kids like Michael go through life getting bullied and taunted every day because too many people think they need to be more straight-acting or "butch." 

Based on press before he was cast on the show, I think a lot of Michael is just heightend JJ. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm implying nothing. I'm stating that Michael is an offensive caricature of stereotypical gay mannerisms.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I'm implying nothing. I'm stating that Michael is an offensive caricature of stereotypical gay mannerisms.

Agreed. Not every gay kid grows up loving show tunes and wanting to go on Broadway. Where's the representation for the gay kids who aren't interested in fashion or music or celebrities? 

I miss Danny from Teen Wolf, sadly he disappeared into a plot hole and never returned. 

• Love 3

Sweet uncle is too dim for me, but everyone on this show is an extreme exaggeration. I think they could have a really good show if they dialed EVERYONE'S cartoonishness WAAAAY back, and just let them be people. The bones are there, and I don't get why they think they need to stretch every single character's defining characteristics sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo far. It's past comedic exaggeration and into "are you fucking kidding me??" territory.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I think they were making fun of Curves.  If someone didn’t catch that then Lumps makes no sense, I thought.  Well, it’s not all that funny even with that in mind.  

Yes, I got that that's what they were going for. Where I live, there's a swimsuit store for women called "Lovely Lady Lumps," which I believe was started by a woman.

"Lovely Lady Lumps Swimwear."