Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: James B.'s Story

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Wanda said:

Reading the article I couldn’t help thinking back to LB’s original story where he had some serious issues with his family, particularly his mother (if I’m recalling correctly). He never felt good enough even before TLC showed up. So it seems like LB was a suicide risk all along. What did his family do for him while all this was going on? There’s a very good chance TLC will NOT settle because it opens them up to lawsuits from all the disgruntled reality show contestant families. What I do think they need to change is their pre show approval mental health evaluations. LB. had many red flags u fortunately.

I don’t think TLC is at fault for what happened to LB. He suffered from depression for a long time (which all of these participants do or they wouldn’t be on the show!), and he left loved ones wanting someone else to blame. I think TLC will settle because that will be cheaper than the lawyer fees to fight it, not that I think they will admit any wrong doing. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t think TLC is at fault for what happened to LB. He suffered from depression for a long time (which all of these participants do or they wouldn’t be on the show!), and he left loved ones wanting someone else to blame. I think TLC will settle because that will be cheaper than the lawyer fees to fight it, not that I think they will admit any wrong doing. 

Settling sets them up to be sued by everybody and their brothers. It’s precedent. That’s far more expensive than using the lawyers they must have on retainer/on staff. Plus there’s no way poundticipants haven’t signed long disclaimer contracts.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I think a lot of LB's issues were from the family.     He was adopted because the mother only had the two daughters, and he was supposed to be his dad's Little Buddy (LB).    When Lola brings up mother issues, then you know they're bad.      Nobody could live up to what was expected of him.   

A friend had gastric bypass about 10 years ago, the risks to long term health are very carefully explained to the patient, and are included in the surgical and treatment waivers you sign for surgery.    There is a lot more education in real life than is shown on the TV show. 

There is no way TLC, or the production company will settle, or everyone who doesn't like their portrayal on the show, or doesn't lose weight, or just get's mad and quits, will be suing.    I bet the disclosure the Poundticipants sign is huge, and many pages long, and iron clad.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

One thing in the lawsuit that was kinda eye-opening for me was the issue of post weight loss medical issues (teeth, etc). I hadn’t thought of that before, but I bet there are tons of medical issues (no pun intended!) that arise after losing that much weight. No doubt these issues are much less life-threatening that carrying around an extra 400 or 500 pounds, but the show always makes it sound like you just lose the weight, have skin removal surgery and then everything is fine. I bet most of these folks have some related medical problems for the rest of their lives. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, JJ1 said:

One thing in the lawsuit that was kinda eye-opening for me was the issue of post weight loss medical issues (teeth, etc). I hadn’t thought of that before, but I bet there are tons of medical issues (no pun intended!) that arise after losing that much weight. No doubt these issues are much less life-threatening that carrying around an extra 400 or 500 pounds, but the show always makes it sound like you just lose the weight, have skin removal surgery and then everything is fine. I bet most of these folks have some related medical problems for the rest of their lives. 

They have shown many significant post op problems.  

Additionally,  Dr. Now always says if you need anything contact us.  Anyone who has had any type of procedure or surgery anywhere now leaves post discharge with countless pages of post op instructions, including side effects and numbers to call.  Dr. Now and his staff would be no different.

At some point, the issue of personal responsibility by the patient has to happen.  The patient needs to do something positive rather than fall back into the self pity blame game default.  Dr. Now and his staff can't read minds from afar. 🤔

• Love 4