Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E06: Sweets For My Sweetie

It's Valentine's Day and the recruits learn how to make sweets for their loved ones. They test their ability to whip cream and create molten chocolate cakes. For the main dish challenge, they make a multi-component dessert to impress Anne and Tyler. In the end, the romance will be over for two of them and the chefs must each break up with one of their recruits.

This episode was really bad.

At least we finally got rid of the other twin.

I felt bad for Lacey when they showed how Anne kept barking at her. I've been trying not to say something since the 1st episode about Brandon, since he got sent home tonight I'm going to say it now. He looked like he could have been an illegitimate child of the Papa John's guy when he first started doing his commercials years ago.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 5

I figured out one thing that has kind of been bothering me this season. Asaf's hair...and the fact that sometimes his sleeves are "sleeves." I wouldn't want to eat anything with that much potential for hair product flakes and/or armpit hair...

Would someone please refresh my memory?  How did we end up with uneven teams?  At the end of this episode, blue had four contestants and red had five.  I know I've been watching every week but I can't recall how that happened.  Help!

56 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

Would someone please refresh my memory?  How did we end up with uneven teams?  At the end of this episode, blue had four contestants and red had five.  I know I've been watching every week but I can't recall how that happened.  Help!

Wasn't there a week when Red won an advantage and no one went home from that team? (I just did a crazy amount of website research just to remember that tidbit).

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, justjen said:

Wasn't there a week when Red won an advantage and no one went home from that team? (I just did a crazy amount of website research just to remember that tidbit).

Yeah, that sounds right/I have a vague memory of that. It's a little silly because eventually they'll have to even it out for the end and send two people home at one.

Happy Monday, fellow masochists!

I think I watch this show as penance for once cutting off a nun while racing her for a handicapped parking space (or something equally heinous).

I haven't seen so many racist/sexist/ethnic stereotypes since the 50s.  What won't people do these days to get their mugs onscreen?  Currently the one who makes me most want to kill my TV is the screaming tiara woman.  Just. Shut. Up.

All the Valentine's Day cakes looked like crap.  I'm  only pointing out this out to make this post relevant to the episode thread.

Until next week...

• Love 8
47 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Yeah, that sounds right/I have a vague memory of that. It's a little silly because eventually they'll have to even it out for the end and send two people home at one.

Thanks, everybody, glad to see I'm not the only one who only half watches this!

I was sorry to see Brandon leave because I liked him but I was happy to be rid of the highly annoying twin.  Steven amuses me but I think he did himself in with Tyler by not using his help.  Now I'm rooting for Sharon.  

I never really noticed Lacey until they started focusing on her last week.  She's a beautiful woman - great bone structure.  I won't be surprised if she ends up being a finalist.

• Love 3

Unrelated, but kind of related: a while ago I filled out the application to be on the show. Never heard anything, but I just want to throw it out there that I would totally have a secret signal to the people at home letting them know I am being forced into some stereotype/making dad jokes.

Steven is my season crush, but he's an idiot -- Sharon is my second favorite but mostly because he's a drag queen but also because he's picking this stuff up pretty quick! He's the least stereotype-y to me.

• Love 2

Every week I try to watch this and every week I find I have either mentally or physically wandered off. Today I was browsing the internet while "watching" the recording and then found myself in the kitchen unloading the dishwasher. I feel like the show was better in the past. Is it just that they have amped up the insistence on caricatures rather than contestants? Didn't they used to spend more time teaching than they do now? The show feels to me like it is circling the drain.

And I'm bummed they did not get rid of the balloon weirdo along with Brandon. Sharon is my favorite, followed by Steven. I'm with you, @justjen (or close, anyway--I'd be okay with either of the two winning, actually).

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Pepper the Cat said:

I like Brandon when he is talking normally and he seems like a nice guy. But that sports announcer voice he kept doing was very annoying so I am glad to see that go.

Totally agree! I liked him when he was helping balloon weirdo with her melt-down in the previous week and when he was acting like a normal person. His sports announcer persona got on my last nerve. And I agree with Anne that his station was gross.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

I like Brandon when he is talking normally and he seems like a nice guy. But that sports announcer voice he kept doing was very annoying so I am glad to see that go.

I agree, but I got the impression the producers told him "do that announcer voice!" every 10 minutes. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, justjen said:

Unrelated, but kind of related: a while ago I filled out the application to be on the show. Never heard anything, but I just want to throw it out there that I would totally have a secret signal to the people at home letting them know I am being forced into some stereotype/making dad jokes.

Steven is my season crush, but he's an idiot -- Sharon is my second favorite but mostly because he's a drag queen but also because he's picking this stuff up pretty quick! He's the least stereotype-y to me.

I need them to give you that call back! Lol

On 2/12/2018 at 10:51 AM, spiderpig said:

Happy Monday, fellow masochists!

I think I watch this show as penance for once cutting off a nun while racing her for a handicapped parking space (or something equally heinous).

I haven't seen so many racist/sexist/ethnic stereotypes since the 50s.  What won't people do these days to get their mugs onscreen?  Currently the one who makes me most want to kill my TV is the screaming tiara woman.  Just. Shut. Up.

All the Valentine's Day cakes looked like crap.  I'm  only pointing out this out to make this post relevant to the episode thread.

Until next week...

I agree with all of this about the stereotypes. What really floored me was Asaf's jokes about getting a green card. Seriously? The FN producers let that one slide by? With all of the turmoil about immigration right now? (I have no idea about Asaf's status and don't care, but really?) I was so disappointed when he won the challenge this week. I want him GONE NOW!

Another thing ... why is Shatima able to openly talk about her wife and Sharon manages to slip a few gay innuendos in now and then ... except he is stealth about it and unless you bother to mull over what he's said, it flies right by. BUT ... Anne, who is gay, has to pretend to flirt with some of those idiots and act like she's attracted to them.

I'm sure there are other points that I've missed. I watch the show for fun and laughs and I really do try hard to pay attention to the actual instruction parts because believe it or not, I've picked up a good tip or recipe here and there.

Yes, I agree that Stephen nailed a big ol' nail into his losing coffin by refusing Tyler's help. Tyler has an ego the size of Texas and bruising it was definitely not a good idea. I was also wondering if Robyn would get the axe after the weird off-handed compliment/insult she threw Anne's way during her "date." Stockholm Syndrome????

Anybody else thinking that Stephen and Sharon would make a good couple?

Let's have a Hazell and Sharon finale and get it over with.

• Love 5