Type keyword(s) to search

Season Talk: Years One to Four

Four seasons already?  Doesn't seem like it, but I'm thinking that some of them were really short (like just a few episodes).  Of course, it might have just felt that way since I'm always disappointed when the season finale comes and I'm not ready for it to end.

My favorite part of the show is at the end where they show footage of the actor and then it morphs to a picture of the real person.  Also the songs they play at the end over the pictures are absolutely heartbreaking, even when they appear to have nothing to do with the subject matter on the surface.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Sile said:

Four seasons already?  Doesn't seem like it, but I'm thinking that some of them were really short (like just a few episodes).  Of course, it might have just felt that way since I'm always disappointed when the season finale comes and I'm not ready for it to end.

My favorite part of the show is at the end where they show footage of the actor and then it morphs to a picture of the real person.  Also the songs they play at the end over the pictures are absolutely heartbreaking, even when they appear to have nothing to do with the subject matter on the surface.

I really enjoy the end credits with the pictures too. They really try to get actors that resemble the people as well. The production values on this show are so much better than the majority of ID shows. So glad it is coming back on the 10th. I was getting nervous!

• Love 8

I think this is by far my favorite ID show.  I used to think I was a true crime aficionado but this series has exposed me to lots of crimes I'd never heard of...The two that stay with me the most are the guy who blew up a plane just to kill his mother - fiendish - and the woman who killed her boyfriend's wife and then escaped from jail in Mexico and lived out the rest of her life outside of prison (I'm presuming she's still alive.)  I felt so bad for that cop who retired without ever seeing her truly get punished.

• Love 11
52 minutes ago, kacesq said:

I think this is by far my favorite ID show.  I used to think I was a true crime aficionado but this series has exposed me to lots of crimes I'd never heard of...The two that stay with me the most are the guy who blew up a plane just to kill his mother - fiendish - and the woman who killed her boyfriend's wife and then escaped from jail in Mexico and lived out the rest of her life outside of prison (I'm presuming she's still alive.)  I felt so bad for that cop who retired without ever seeing her truly get punished.

The plane one was just so insane. I thought about that case for days after the episode. I can't believe all those innocent people were killed. For many of them, it was their first plane ride. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, kacesq said:

One of the reasons I love this show is because I've never heard of most of the crimes featured. The episode with the murders of the eight nursing students horrified me. Interview with the sole survivor

• Love 7

I was checking my listings hoping they'd have a Crime to Remember marathon before the premiere, but no such luck.  However, they are showing two episodes tomorrow morning including one of my top picks, 38 Witnesses.  They're also showing a few old eps before the premiere on Saturday.  AND, I don't know about other systems, but if you have Directv they have Season 4 On Demand right now.

It's going to be weird getting used to it being on Saturdays.  This is one of the few shows that I sometimes watch live and I'm never home on Saturday nights, which is no big deal because I always record it, anyway.  It's probably better anyway, as my Monday night shows are really crowded and I don't have any conflicts on Saturdays (probably because I'm not home so I've never started watching weekend shows).

Edited by Sile
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Sile said:

I was checking my listings hoping they'd have a Crime to Remember marathon before the premiere, but no such luck.  However, they are showing two episodes tomorrow morning including one of my top picks, 38 Witnesses.  They're also showing a few old eps before the premiere on Saturday.  AND, I don't know about other systems, but if you have Directv they have Season 4 On Demand right now.

It's going to be weird getting used to it being on Saturdays.  This is one of the few shows that I sometimes watch live and I'm never home on Saturday nights, which is no big deal because I always record it, anyway.  It's probably better anyway, as my Monday night shows are really crowded and I don't have any conflicts on Saturdays (probably because I'm not home so I've never started watching weekend shows).

The IDgo app has all of the seasons on it. You just have to put your cable provider info in. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, druzy said:

One of the reasons I love this show is because I've never heard of most of the crimes featured. The episode with the murders of the eight nursing students horrified me. Interview with the sole survivor

Same. Thanks for the link-that's so neat that the prosecutor on that case still keeps in touch with Atienza to this day. And I'm glad to hear she was able to continue on to live an overall happy, comfortable life as well, with a wonderful family. I'm not surprised she'd still have nightmares from time to time, though-I can only begin to imagine how terrifying that night must've been for her.

She was petrified of Speck but had the courage to step down from the witness stand, walk up to him and point her finger 2 inches from his forehead.

"This is the man," she said as pandemonium erupted.

That's gutsy. Good on her for confronting her fear like that. 

Echoing everyone's reasons for liking this show here. Even the cases I was familiar with, like the Texas university shooting (another one that I find haunting, and all the more sad and horrifying given all the mass shootings we've had since then), it's still interesting to hear about them in the context of that time period in general, and get a fuller picture of just why they were such big stories. 

I also think a show like this is important because of how often people like to talk about how life was so much better and safer and simpler back in the "good ol' days", and make it seem like violence in society is somehow a new phenomenon or something. Clearly, as this show illustrates, that isn't true. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 7

I remember 'Bye, Bye Betty.'  That one was so strange because she was going around asking classmates to shoot and kill her because she said she knew she "would never be happy."  I'm in my 50s and sometimes I still feel that way, LOL.  People were posting on the old IMDb boards that today it would go down as 'suicide by cop.'  I guess she never thought of that, though, so she got her boyfriend to do the deed.

• Love 3

I, too, love this show. I love history, I love hearing about these older cases, that were much harder to crack sometimes because there was so few forensic tools they could use. So much of it was cops doing the leg work, asking questions, combing over every inch of the crime scene.

I love when they show the photos at the end. There is something about seeing the real people that this happened to. The reenactments are more like a movie. When I see the photos, the real victims, I feel it more, that this really happened to these people. It's powerful.

I also appreciate the wide variety of crimes we get. There are so many different reasons to kill, ways to kill, types of killers. While I enjoy some of the other shows, like Wives with Knives and what not, they get repetitive. I can't think of two eps of this show that felt redundant. We've had mass murders, revenge murders, desperation to get away from bad lovers, bored teens, it goes on. This show is never the same. I appreciate that.

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I, too, love this show. I love history, I love hearing about these older cases, that were much harder to crack sometimes because there was so few forensic tools they could use. So much of it was cops doing the leg work, asking questions, combing over every inch of the crime scene.

I love when they show the photos at the end. There is something about seeing the real people that this happened to. The reenactments are more like a movie. When I see the photos, the real victims, I feel it more, that this really happened to these people. It's powerful.

I also appreciate the wide variety of crimes we get. There are so many different reasons to kill, ways to kill, types of killers. While I enjoy some of the other shows, like Wives with Knives and what not, they get repetitive. I can't think of two eps of this show that felt redundant. We've had mass murders, revenge murders, desperation to get away from bad lovers, bored teens, it goes on. This show is never the same. I appreciate that.

Yeah, the pictures are a powerful touch. When they showed the Clutter family at the end of the episode, their photos against the music actually got me a bit choked up. 

And it is very interesting to see how investigators worked with whatever tools they had at their disposal at the time, yes. I like how some of these cases wound up proving instrumental in later advancements and changes in forensic investigating, and seeing what lessons they and the country at large learned in terms of the right and wrong ways to handle and interact with victims and suspects. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, BloggerAloud said:

I feel the ending songs plus the real people/actors photos can be a real one two punch of emotion.

Agreed, the person who does the song selections does yeoman's work and can't get enough plaudits.

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 5
On 2/5/2018 at 10:35 AM, kacesq said:

On 2/5/2018 at 11:28 AM, Hero said:

The plane one was just so insane. I thought about that case for days after the episode. I can't believe all those innocent people were killed. For many of them, it was their first plane ride. 

I thought they did a good job with story of the bombing of Flight 629. I'd read an excellent book about it - Mainliner Denver - and when I saw the subject of that episode, I wondered how well they could tell the story in the hour format. I was pleasantly surprised.

BTW if you're interested in the story, I highly recommend that book. 

• Love 5
On 2/7/2018 at 4:55 PM, Carolina Girl said:

Reminds me of one of the survivors of the Ted Bundy Chi Omega murders.  Stood up and pointed right at that son of a bitch.  

My former neighbor was good friends with one of the victims.  She was supposed to visit her that weekend, but got called into work.  The murder of her friend devastated her & she couldn’t bring herself to talk about what could have happened to her, if she had been there. 

• Love 2

The episode that really made me cry was the one titled "The Gentleman killer." This was the first episode of this show that I watched that got me hooked. 

This is the one where a man hitchhikes a ride and then asks for the address of the person giving him a ride to "pay them back."

Most of the time, it was the husband who gave him a ride. The killer/rapist would go to the home of the ride giver, knowing that the husband would not be there, he would then rape the wife. 

I felt so sorry for the women. If I remember correctly, some of the husbands blamed their wives for letting him in. 

It was interesting to see how trusting people were then. I know that if I am not expecting someone, I don't open the door. 

• Love 4