Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: We Shall Overcompensate

I thought this was another solid episode. I'm liking Shane more and more every week, and I think it's great that Amy has a confidante now. I really liked Oliver, and in an alternate universe I'd like to see him with Amy. Karma annoyed me, but mostly because she's actually acting like a naive 15-year-old girl, so A+ on the characterization there. Liam is... Liam. I feel like we don't know much about him yet, but so far, I'm still not liking the guy (and I'm amused by how often his real accent slips through). What was with him getting into the car with the Skwerkel lady at the end of the episode -- is that a relative of his, maybe?

I loved the running gag with people grabbing that poor guy's bullhorn from him. "Oh, just keep it!"

Karma needs to start getting redeemed. Right now she is really unlikable and a terrible friend, even if you give her a pass that she doesn't know Amy's real feelings.

She treats her best friend like shit and ditched her at the first opportunity. Even if she doesn't mean to, she has no awareness.

It's only 3 episodes and what the writers are doing to poor Amy is cruel. Her "I wish she was bi" was a heartbreaker.

I did like how the school and it's inherent ridiculousness came to the forefront. There is definitely a Community/Greendale vibe there to be exploited.

• Love 2
(edited)

This was hilarious. I'm very glad that the show is moving fast and we aren't stuck in the same "faking it" storyline for an entire season. The next episode bits were even more promising on that front. Good for you, Amy, for not giving Karma a pass anymore.

I must say I'm impressed with how good this is, being on MTV and all. Though is that even true anymore? MTV also has Awkward and Teen Wolf, which are both good.

Also, I disagree with the http://previously.tv/trophy-wife/battle-of-the-faux-lesbians/ that "Faking It" is offensive because it peddles a fairy tale of gay acceptance. This episode, especially, made it clear that everything about that school is completely over the top. And even if it weren't so, rom coms are a fairy tale of (het) romance and they aren't considered offensive for (usually) peddling fairy tales.

Edited by Crim
  • Love 1

I am so glad that they didn't draw out the Amy reveals to Shane that they are faking it and she might not feel that way anymore story thread. I am pleasantly surprised by this show and this is coming from someone who swore off of MTV shows when they botched Skins a few years ago.

I also like the way the actors are coming across during interviews for the show and it shows in their performances.

The pace is definitely fast, but it had to be with such a short episode order.

The ratings ticked up a it last night and it continues to basically hold Awkward's lead in. Can't see what else MTV could possibly ask for.

They've earned another shot with at least 13 episodes.

• Love 1

I like that the pace is fast.  It fits with the 1/2 hour comedy.  I would have gotten annoyed pretty quick if the show stuck with the whole Fake lesbians" story for a whole season.  It looks like it is going for more the who is faking what with who angle.  The is a whole lot more interesting.   Karma may be faking being gay but Amy sure isn't.    Liam may be faking some things of his own as well.  (I think that tech company lady may be his mother or a relative of his)  

I actually really liked Oliver and would like to see more of him.  If this was a different show....oh hell I like him on this show.  He would make a good double tripple secret beard for Amy.....or just a good friend.  I mean he is one of the few boys she doesn't want to poke his eyes out with scissors.  

(edited)

God, the actor who played Oliver looks like the male Brie Larson. Seriously, it's uncanny. He's very cute and I was (almost) disappointed that Amy felt nothing when she kissed him.

I wish the episodes were much longer, 20 minutes is very short. The episode is over so fast. Not that it feels necessarily rushed but I could definitely take 20 more minutes of that show every week.

Edited by Barbican

I am so glad that they didn't draw out the Amy reveals to Shane that they are faking it and she might not feel that way anymore story thread. I am pleasantly surprised by this show and this is coming from someone who swore off of MTV shows when they botched Skins a few years ago.

I also like the way the actors are coming across during interviews for the show and it shows in their performances.

Don't even get me started on Skins -- the MTV version or Skins: Fire. I could rant for days.

I agree that the actors are great during interviews (and other promotion --

). Rita and Katie have a lot of chemistry, and everyone involved seems to understand how tricky of a subject this can be. They all seem to want to do right by their LGBT viewers.
  • Love 1

I think that lady is either Liams step mom or his older sister/aunt. Isn't he rich? I can see his dad being one of those men who dates someone young.

Aww at Oliver's quote about Amy. Its sucks she prefers vagina because I could've seen those two together. Rita has chemistry with everyone she's in a scene in.

As for Karma. JFC its a good thing that the actress is charming (girl can also sin b too.) because I usually hate 15 year olds so like others its good to have realistic teens.

Liam is a mess but I still don't hate him. I think he's starting to like Karma as more than just the resident (fake) lesbian.

Shane is awesome. He sees everything and I like that Amy has someone to talk to now. I hope he's not just the resident therapist.

As for Amy lord it really is cruel at what the writers are doing to her. If anyone needs a poor hashtag its her. Rita has the perfect "kick me in the face." look. I'm glad she went off on Karma though. Whoosh she let her have it. But Karma s "I'm a fuckin teenager." line is such a thing a teen would say. Seriously though how does Amy not have a guy or girl falling at her feet? Did you see her proud girlfriend face she gave Karma? Someone protect this girl. lol

Lauren didn't have much to do this time but I still like her. She stopped that fuckin protest at least. The kids at that school are so outrageous with everything they do.

I was also getting a very old school Greendale vibe from the whole protest story line which I enjoyed. The brunette teacher I can never remember the name of continues to make an impression while only getting 1 minute of screen time an episode. Karma's fixation on Liam, and the pointless protest were sort of annoying, but were very authentically teenaged which is nice. Too often teen shows not only have 25 year old "high schoolers"  (which I can understand from a production/casting standpoint) but also college/twenty-something story lines forced into a high school setting so it's nice to see them all actually acting 15-16. 

I always get nervous when the topic of bisexuality gets brought up, real world and other television shows have just show how very quickly prejudices and misconceptions can make things very offensive very quickly, but I think they handled it pretty well here. Shane was right that bisexuality can bring up a lot of insecurities, but he did it without making bisexuals seems less than, indecisive, or greedy which is a sad rarity I've seem in a lot of media. 

• Love 1
(edited)

It's only 3 episodes and what the writers are doing to poor Amy is cruel. Her "I wish she was bi" was a heartbreaker.

Oh, I know. She breaks my heart, little cutie. But I actually really loved Karma losing it at her by the lockers when she said something to the effect of, "of course I'm into cute boys, I'm a fucking teenage girl." Because it hurt so good. Heh. We can't really blame Karma for not knowing what Amy's going through, but what a lonely moment for her hearing that. Not just because it reiterates again that Karma is never going love her in quite the same way, but of course she also frames her POV as the right and natural and only one. She's not being cruel, she just can't imagine she and Amy aren't on the same page. .

Having said that, I don't think the writers abuse Amy too much, but just the right amount. Because regardless of how believable people do or do not find a liberal high school, being in love with your straight best friend is a painful and I suspect common experience for gay kids. Personally I think belaboring the realism of gay kids being accepted at this school is kind of missing the forest for the trees here. What's important to me is the show--over the top as it intentionally is--is nailing the emotional realism. With a pretty huge assist from Rita Volk, of course.

I like Oliver a lot. But I think Amy really is gay. And if this show has a theme this early in its run, it's "you can't always get what you want." But I'd love for them to be friends. And I love Amy and Shane's relationship too. We don't often see such nice dynamics between queer boys and girls on tv. And god knows she needs a confidante.

This show is about 100x better than I ever expected it to be. I'm glad to hear last night's numbers ticked up a bit. I'd love to see it do well. It's a more nuanced and interesting depiction of the emotional lives of gay teens than glee has presented in three years.

Edited by bravelittletoaster
  • Love 2

Oliver is ADORABLE. I enjoyed hearing Karma sing even though I don't remember her at all from American Idol and I watched that season. Those were my takeaways from this episode. Otherwise, it was a bit lackluster.