Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: A Matter Of Faith

I think there's some sense in the bread thing? Something about moldy bread actually containing penicillin? Of course Ma didn't know about antibiotics, but the wisdom of ye ole times...

What's strange is that putting a scalding hot rag on an open infection would make it WORSE, further weakening and damaging the area.  Reverend Alden made it seem like it was some miracle to burn herself at just the right moment, what was up with that?   Then again Doc Baker wouldn't have done any better.   Heck, if Ma went to Doc Baker she had a 95% chance of dying given his record.

3 minutes ago, Reverand Alden said:

What's strange is that putting a scalding hot rag on an open infection would make it WORSE, further weakening and damaging the area.  Reverend Alden made it seem like it was some miracle to burn herself at just the right moment, what was up with that?   Then again Doc Baker wouldn't have done any better.   Heck, if Ma went to Doc Baker she had a 95% chance of dying given his record.

I have always been confused by exactly what she was supposed to have done right there. Burning it? Does putting a scalding thing on it open the wound in ways that, like, slicing it would? It's not hot enough to cauterize it (whatever that means--I just know it's a thing that is sometimes good to do with wounds).

Listening to this again I can't get over Doc Baker not just looking at her damn cut when she says she put a poultice on it. You'd think he'd be very aware how easy it was to get an infection. (Then again, you'd think Caroline would have remembered to pour on a little of that peroxide before she sent it off!)

2 hours ago, Nanna said:

I think there's some sense in the bread thing? Something about moldy bread actually containing penicillin? Of course Ma didn't know about antibiotics, but the wisdom of ye ole times...

It is definitely a thing. A milk and bread poultice draws out infection and reduces swelling, according to what I read.  I think they're just absorbent or something? No idea what the science is here. I'd go with hydrogen peroxide, which Carolyn seemed to have!