Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Frenemies

Aww, the vomit episode. When writers have to resort to bathroom humor, they're definitely hitting the bottom of the barrel. Enjoyed Sketchy and Skeezy trying to warn Doc and Murphy. Not much Sarge or 10K, although they got to make a lot of expressions. Warren running around in the fog got dull quickly, but the end was a surprise; now she gets to hallucinate Teller. Nice to see him again, if only for a few seconds. I rate this below average for Season 4, and I firmly believe this season's average is a very low bar to reach. I think there were only three episodes that managed to rate above average, but as I said, I don't think the bar is very high. At the moment, I can't think of a single episode from this season that would rate anywhere in my top 20. 

• Love 4

I can't believe I'm saying this but ... the Zuggalos episode ranks higher than this one for me. That one showed creativity even if it wasn't my cup of tea. This episode killed any momentum from last week. Sweeney Todd meets Zombies could have had potential. It started okay then went downhill at Olympic speed. Too focused on the guest stars instead of the main cast, again. 

I would think that since we are at the tail end of the season that there would be no more filler episodes. How wrong I was. 

Onward to Mercy Labs.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, 51Muses said:

I can't believe I'm saying this but ... the Zuggalos episode ranks higher than this one for me. That one showed creativity even if it wasn't my cup of tea. This episode killed any momentum from last week. Sweeney Todd meets Zombies could have had potential. It started okay then went downhill at Olympic speed. Too focused on the guest stars instead of the main cast, again. 

I would think that since we are at the tail end of the season that there would be no more filler episodes. How wrong I was. 

Onward to Mercy Labs.

I really was hoping for more Demon Barber and less...vomit

• Love 2

That episode was ....... disappointing.

Why would there still have been a Z in the tanning bed after all this time ?

Vomiting from almost everyone and snot rockets from Sarge.  That marks a series low point.

If neither Tony Cueball or Tiny (his deaf friend in the attic) or Sketchy/Skeezy were the original proprietor of the barber shop, who built the Sweeney Todd barber chair and trap door to the basement ?

And unless there was a bank of batteries somewhere, how did the solar panels work in the green foam ?

And how did Tiny get into the attic in the first place if he had to shoot a hole in the ceiling to get out ?

Tony: "Quiet !  Act normal."
Murphy: "Normal ?"
Tony: "Like you're not being robbed."
Murphy: "A robbery ?  Is that what this is ? I totally thought you were a couple of sadists out for a good time."
Skeezy: "No, no, they're capitalists."
Tony: "Shut the hell up !  You are the the chattiest bunch of marks in the whole apocalypse."

What a waste of time with Warren following Teller through the green foam, only for Teller to tell Warren that she is 'the one'.
Though we did get a glimpse of the shadow of the giant manta ray overhead -- was that a ship or part of her visions again ?

• Love 2

At the end, Warren had two canisters in her vision. When she came out of it, she had one canister. Plus, the Tellar she saw was the Mercy Labs Tellar when they tried to clear out the lab. So that points the team to go back to Mercy Labs. Tellar's work did stop the original virus. So, what else were they working on in there? I suppose Warren was programmed to retrieve it. Is it the anti-Reset or actually the Reset? When ghost Tellar said "I won't be there to help you", does this mean that Warren's nearly fanatic, trance state will be over soon? I hope so and she's back to being the real Roberta Warren. 

There seems to be a lot of callbacks this season, closing the doors on characters and answering lingering questions. The barbershop retirement of Sketchy and Skeezy. The end of Zona. The showing of what happened on Day 1. Season 4 feels like a wrap up season for the past 3 seasons with some plot breadcrumbs to a potential and final Season 5. It's not a bad plan. I just don't like how it's been executed so far. 

• Love 3

Sketchy and Skeezy gone? I don't think so, although the show will have to survive to a 5th season, since these characters only appear once each season in a major guest role. They did Butch and Sundance in season three, and at the end of seasons 1 and 2 they always seemed to be running away (although my memory is vague about "Election Day", my least favorite of their appearances). They were first seen in a short scene in the pilot, and they had to bug out there again. Doc seems to be destined to run into them all the time. As for current episode, I really wish Warren had shown up to save everyone and been badass Warren, if only for awhile; what was the point of showing that the guy from "Down the Mississippi" had survived?

2 hours ago, GennyMartel said:

I'm really disappointed in the show this year, it's been pretty awful...and I'm sick to death of Warren (who I used to like).  If the next episode sucks this bad, I doubt that I'll continue to tune in.

Hang in there, we only have to suffer through a few more episodes of the Season That Should Never Have Been, and I really want to see the show have a chance to improve by being renewed for a fifth season. Yeah, I'm an optimist.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, 10kfever said:

Sketchy and Skeezy gone? I don't think so, although the show will have to survive to a 5th season, since these characters only appear once each season in a major guest role. They did Butch and Sundance in season three, and at the end of seasons 1 and 2 they always seemed to be running away (although my memory is vague about "Election Day", my least favorite of their appearances). They were first seen in a short scene in the pilot, and they had to bug out there again. Doc seems to be destined to run into them all the time. As for current episode, I really wish Warren had shown up to save everyone and been badass Warren, if only for awhile; what was the point of showing that the guy from "Down the Mississippi" had survived?

Hang in there, we only have to suffer through a few more episodes of the Season That Should Never Have Been, and I really want to see the show have a chance to improve by being renewed for a fifth season. Yeah, I'm an optimist.

@10kfever : Yes, I too wish it had been Warren instead of the Mississippi boys. I didn't mean to imply that it was the end of Skeezy and Sketchy. I meant that if there wasn't a Season 5, then their whereabout are known instead of not knowing. BTW, I have semicolon envy. You use them so well. I avoid them like the plague. 

I have to say that the show isn't afraid of taking creative risks or doing the unexpected and that's one reason I stay tuned in. I always want to find out what they're up to week to week. Some weeks are better than others and others are worse. I think the mystery with Warren has been a weak point because we knew nothing up front. How can we invest in the character if we're kept in the dark? Hopefully the answers are forthcoming. Three more episodes to go!

Well I've always hated Sketchy and Skeezy so I knew this episode was going to suck for me.  I don't need to see all those dirty, skinny, pale legs and chests and the snot rockets and vomit didn't help.

I've liked a lot of the horror movie aspects of this season but there is pointless meandering going on and long stretches when we don't see anyone.  

7 minutes ago, 51Muses said:

I have to say that the show isn't afraid of taking creative risks or doing the unexpected and that's one reason I stay tuned in.

I agree, it usually does a decent blend of fun/gore/ridiculous.  Last week I thought was very good, the blend of the past/current TV people stories plus we got news on Kaya and Citizen Z and they got to talk to everyone else.  Then this week we get this nonsense.

I love Warren and I am intrigued by whatever's going on with her; I didn't mind not getting answers as long as other things in the episode were entertaining so this ep was another miss for me.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Agreed, followed by this week's being the worst.

I think the Zuggalos or Juggalos or whatever that was, was the worst, but most of them have been pretty bad this season. 

On 12/2/2017 at 1:47 PM, 51Muses said:

@10kfever : Yes, I too wish it had been Warren instead of the Mississippi boys. I didn't mean to imply that it was the end of Skeezy and Sketchy. I meant that if there wasn't a Season 5, then their whereabout are known instead of not knowing. BTW, I have semicolon envy. You use them so well. I avoid them like the plague. 

I have to say that the show isn't afraid of taking creative risks or doing the unexpected and that's one reason I stay tuned in. I always want to find out what they're up to week to week. Some weeks are better than others and others are worse. I think the mystery with Warren has been a weak point because we knew nothing up front. How can we invest in the character if we're kept in the dark? Hopefully the answers are forthcoming. Three more episodes to go!

Semicolon separates two closely related FULL sentences; punctuation is annoying. A colon is followed by a list: red, blue, and green. Really, it's that easy; I don't know why so many people get it wrong, especially with the semi-colon.<g>

I agree the show hasn't been afraid to take risks, but I don't think it's happened this season. Their risks seem to consist of lame vulgarities and silly setups that never seem to pay off. I'm desperately hoping the final three episodes are as good -- dare I hope better? -- as We Interrupt This Program.

1 hour ago, 10kfever said:

Semicolon separates two closely related FULL sentences; punctuation is annoying.

I also use semi-colons in a list where one or more items have commas --> the guests at the event included Mr Shitaake, President of Shroomland; Craveat Emptor; Ruler of the Neckwear Empire; and Blah Blah Blah, No-One Special.

Note the "Oxford Semicolon"!  LOL

On 12/3/2017 at 4:45 PM, jhlipton said:

I also use semi-colons in a list where one or more items have commas --> the guests at the event included Mr Shitaake, President of Shroomland; Craveat Emptor; Ruler of the Neckwear Empire; and Blah Blah Blah, No-One Special.

Note the "Oxford Semicolon"!  LOL

You are so right! I need to start using this format. Thanks for indulging my love of grammar. 

• Love 1

I enjoyed this episode; at first I didn’t get it, but then I saw what they were going for with Demon Barber, conventions of filmed stage acting(even the filter or what have you looked different, a la BBC PBS shows) and the farcical elements with the vomiting, Who’s on First running jokes, puns, etc. This show has always been a wonderfully weird send up to  other shows, parody of the zombie genre, and it’s own brand of humor, drama, sci fi, etc., so I’m appreciative of their license to have wild, wacky fun & just roll with it. I’m less forgiving of the lapses or what have you in other shows of this general type, like TWD. 

I honestly never really tire of the core team. I am invested in their characters, so I can follow wherever this tale meanders. I think it also makes a difference in the way I’m binging the series now, as opposed to week to week viewing. Warren’s journey is interesting to me because she typically is mission driven, but now she is the mission-captain, vulnerable, yet still a force to reckon with. And as many have pointed out, it’s one(tho major) plot point among a few this season. 

• Love 1