Type keyword(s) to search

Season Three: Eames As Incubator, Goren Solving Puzzles, and Bishop Being Annoying....

D.A.W. is on right now. I love Kevin Tighe being the bad guy. He was so wimpy as the good guy on "Emergency!" years ago. And I literally laugh out loud when he tells his date he could give her some "oral pleasure." Dude, you're the last guy I'd want touching me, anywhere! LOL

Soooo "Pravda."  This was on USA tonight/this morning.  Gotta love those supportive parents who try to kill you and then plan to kill themselves over a simple thing like plagiarism.  Seriously.  Carl was right.  No one cares about plagiarism anymore.  Maybe colleges and universities and high schools, but I don't know of any institutions or venues outside of those that do.  I will say, though, that Carl went from one extreme to the other in that final scene -- sounding completely unsympathetic by boasting about how he'd fooled the greatest editors in the country, then sounding almost completely sympathetic when you could hear the hearbreak in his voice in realizing Roy was really going to kill him.

On a side note, nice to see the show escape the lily-white perps and have a rare black one.  Or three, considering "Stray" with the black Bonnie and Clyde-like killers.  Diversity exists in the perps, too, I suppose.  Two straight episodes of African-American perps.

Also, for as much trash as you talk about her, @WendyCR72, I do give credit to Bishop for spotting something that Goren missed.  It's rare that anyone sees something that he doesn't.  (I think even Eames never succeeded in doing that.)  She paid attention to Carl's more recent article and recognized a passage from it that was later revealed to have also been used in one of his high school works.  That was probably the key thing that helped her and Goren figure out that Roy had figured out his plagiarism and thus his motive for murder.

I'm just sorry that poor Katya had to pay the price.

• Love 3

Oddly, the WE marathon went from S5 in order to showing "The Saint" for the last episode of today's marathon. Maybe it's more timely now because of Stephen Colbert's upcoming Late Show debut next week. Hee.

Said it before, but he seemed to play a more dramatic role rather well.

Also, for as much trash as you talk about her, WendyCR72, I do give credit to Bishop for spotting something that Goren missed.  It's rare that anyone sees something that he doesn't.  (I think even Eames never succeeded in doing that.)

Fair enough, @Donny Ketchum, although that whole episode seemed rather weird to me anyway since the fact that the father was willing to kill over plagiarism (which, while nothing to be proud of and inherently dishonest, should never be punishable by death) made him look just crazy. Maybe that was the point, though?

And you're mistaken about Eames. She's the one that recognized the "girl thing" in "Cold Comfort" with the whole purse on the bathroom stall door deal in constructing the initial murder.  :-)

• Love 2

Oddly, the WE marathon went from S5 in order to showing "The Saint" for the last episode of today's marathon. Maybe it's more timely now because of Stephen Colbert's upcoming Late Show debut next week. Hee.

Fair enough, @Donny Ketchum, although that whole episode seemed rather weird to me anyway since the fact that the father was willing to kill over plagiarism (which, while nothing to be proud of and inherently dishonest, should never be punishable by death) made him look just crazy. Maybe that was the point, though?

And you're mistaken about Eames. She's the one that recognized the "girl thing" in "Cold Comfort" with the whole purse on the bathroom stall door deal in constructing the initial murder.  :-)

Addressing all three below:

Speaking of "The Saint," the murder always confused me.  What was Stephen's character's motive for killing the old woman, and how, exactly, does lye do the job?  Shouldn't she have had to consume it, not just get it on her face?  The whole lye balloon thing stumped me.

And I think Roy was crazy.  You could kind of hear the cracks in his personality starting to appear in his delivery of "You stupid boy.  You stupid, hateful boy."  Not to mention the faces he was making as he said it.  Though I certainly agree that killing your own son over plagiarism is beyond over the line.

Finally, did what Eames spot contribute in any way to actually solving the murder?  I think not.

• Love 1

Lye, when inhaled, will kill you. I remember as a kid, experimenting with Drano crystals. OMG... it is awful stuff. If it's set up with something to cause it to explode in your face, it hits your eyes, nose, mouth... you cannot help but inhale it as you try to catch your breath.

Yeah... Roy was crazy as a loon. Planning to kill his only child so people won't find out he plagarized? Didn't he think it would come out in the investigation, since he left the boxes sitting there?

Lye, when inhaled, will kill you. I remember as a kid, experimenting with Drano crystals. OMG... it is awful stuff. If it's set up with something to cause it to explode in your face, it hits your eyes, nose, mouth... you cannot help but inhale it as you try to catch your breath.

Yeah... Roy was crazy as a loon. Planning to kill his only child so people won't find out he plagarized? Didn't he think it would come out in the investigation, since he left the boxes sitting there?

That's a good answer, but it only answers it halfway.  What was the motive for using the lye balloon in the first place?

The surface reason for Roy plotting to kill Carl and then himself was the plagiarism.  But the underlying reason was what Goren pointed out -- that Carl was basically going to risk ruining every opportunity that Roy had fought to secure for him.  Being black in NYC was tough enough as it was, and Carl was going to make it tougher on himself should his fraud/plagiarism ever come to light.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 3
That's a good answer, but it only answers it halfway.  What was the motive for using the lye balloon in the first place?

His reason for this particular device...I have to make a guess here... in spite of being such a good forger of signatures, he really wasn't that bright when it came to everyday things. His toys always getting taken away....  It might have been a way to make a "bomb" without knowing how to really make a good one? It also may be something that he felt was concentrated and would only hurt the person opening the box. In other words, others around her at the time wouldn't be injured.

Motive? She was going to tell the powers that be that her entire Brother Jerome story was a lie, therefore all the trouble he'd gone to would be for nothing. And he might have to pay back the money for the letters. Which he didn't have since his mother kept giving it all away.

• Love 4

I think it spoke to the gender of the murderer, I think.

Well, I don't think a female killed the senator's daughter...but with that said, I did think of an episode where an observation Eames made was important: In "Yesterday", the body of Alyssa Cooney that was dug up from the house of the accomplice's parents after the house was sold...no one knew the woman's identity and only knew she had been buried for a while. But Eames recognized the jean miniskirt the victim wore and knew it was only made in 1983 (with Goren's surprise that Eames owned one and her proudly telling him she looked good in it).

That was important in itself because it helped identify when she died which helped in narrowing the field of suspects right there, especially since knowing the time frame allowed files from the era to be pulled and checked. (As TV would have it, of course it was an old unsolved case of Deakins'!)

• Love 3

I was taking a nap and woke up just in time to see the good parts.... Margie getting caught in the dressing room, etc.

Yeah, with her Play-Doh bomb. A shining example of her chemistry-teaching skills there. (I'm mean!)

• Love 3

She reminds me of the mom in "Magnificat"... so depressed and unhappy with her home life, she doesn't realize what she is doing is wrong.

And oddly, what Doreen in "Magnificat" did was 1,000 times worse than what Margie did (as she never killed anyone), but it's Doreen I felt sorry for. Margie just annoyed the crap out of me.

• Love 2

Exactly! I felt very sorry for Doreen due to her asshat of a husband. Margie had a nice (but boring) husband who didn't deserve her running off with a crazy man.

I'd like to think Margie's milquetoast hubby got the lawyer for the sake of the kids, but he divorced her, anyway.

• Love 5

Switching between S3 on ION and S1 on WE. Still get a kick out of the S3 episode with the character named Ricky "Chops" Something, whose mom put it on the birth certificate because he bit her as an infant. (I think that one is "Fico Di Capo".)

• Love 1

Never gets old watching Kevin Tighe play a bad guy. He really hit his stride and got more acting roles once he shed the goodie two-shoes personna her earned in "Emergency!" and started being an asshole.

Could be because playing assholes, villains, and weirdos is more fun, too! May explain VDO's career, as well, Goren notwithstanding. LOL!

• Love 1

So, the end of "A Murderer Among Us" is on, the one with the anti-Semitic bigot. The perp always reminded me of someone, and it hit me: He sort of resembled later-years Tony Curtis, IMO.

I wish Bobby really had hit him with that pipe.

• Love 1

Except Tony's face was longer, thinner. I met him and his wife a year or so before he died. I was with my aunt for a weekend at the Hotel Del Coronado, and they were having a special showing of "Some Like It Hot" and Tony signed my book about the movie, and talked with me. Adorable man!! Such a flirt!! I bought one of his handmade horseshoes from his ranch that is decorated with colorful stones. It hangs over my front door. :) He was in a wheelchair that weekend. If you can find any of his paintings online for sale, grab it!!

Except Tony's face was longer, thinner. I met him and his wife a year or so before he died. I was with my aunt for a weekend at the Hotel Del Coronado, and they were having a special showing of "Some Like It Hot" and Tony signed my book about the movie, and talked with me. Adorable man!! Such a flirt!! I bought one of his handmade horseshoes from his ranch that is decorated with colorful stones. It hangs over my front door. :) He was in a wheelchair that weekend. If you can find any of his paintings online for sale, grab it!!

Not surprised about Mr. Curtis being a flirt at all!  :-) Just sort of sucks that I associated him with such an awful character, but hey, it is what it is!

• Love 1

So, "Consumed", the episode with the sleepwalking cop framed for murder: It sounded like it was a long-standing condition for Tommy, so I wondered if he would be safe on the streets with a gun. Just the random thought of the day for me. LOL!

Still, I'd think that could affect his job.

I do like how in "Mad Hops", we get more into Bobby's past in a roundabout way than in later seasons, what with the coach that once knew him and the talk of Bobby's father. The end is kind of melancholy when Bobby confirms to Bishop he did quit basketball because he didn't get what he wanted from it (his father's attention/love).

I just picture Bobby - if he had to play a sport - more into football than basketball, though.

• Love 1

Wendy, I had on Sound Bodies yesterday, but then got interrupted and missed the end. "Ouch!"

That young actor was good -- the first scene with him and Goren and Eames, where he introduces himself, all "normal American kid." Conroy Smith....sounds so normal.

And of course, Bobby's friend "Sid Arthur!"

Wendy, I had on Sound Bodies yesterday, but then got interrupted and missed the end. "Ouch!"

That young actor was good -- the first scene with him and Goren and Eames, where he introduces himself, all "normal American kid." Conroy Smith....sounds so normal.

And of course, Bobby's friend "Sid Arthur!"

Well, damn, Eolivet, that was the best part! LOL! I agree the actor playing "Connie" was good, first playing innocent and then showing his true nasty colors. Apparently TPTB must have agreed. I liked he was brought back in S5's "In The Wee Small Hours"!

• Love 1

God, can you imagine how much worse any unfortunate souls likely ended up psychologically if they had either of those two narcissistic douches from "Shrink Wrapped" as a therapist?

Just caught a line that some patients went as it was court mandated. They're better off in jail or whatever!

• Like 1

"Undaunted Mettle". The actor playing Ben Kingsley was good, but can anyone tell me why he was able to attract so many women? Not even talking physically, but his attitude didn't seem so fabulous. Yet he had three wives AND got another woman - who was engaged to another man, who bore his son.

I just fail to see what the draw to him was unless it was his "name" as some big architect.

Anybody? Bueller?

• Love 1
On 5/16/2016 at 4:48 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I just fail to see what the draw to him was unless it was his "name" as some big architect.

Ask Henry Kissinger.

"Mis-Labeled" is on now. And with tainted medicine at the heart of it, a huge part of me wonders what case, if any, this is based on, since the franchise loved its "ripped from the headlines" stuff. I really hope this one is complete fiction, though.

And as refreshing as it was to see a business bigwig as big on honesty as Terry O'Quinn's character was, does anyone think such a person with such power exists in real life? Because my cynical self really doubts it.

On 11/15/2016 at 3:38 PM, WendyCR72 said:

"Mis-Labeled" is on now. And with tainted medicine at the heart of it, a huge part of me wonders what case, if any, this is based on, since the franchise loved its "ripped from the headlines" stuff. I really hope this one is complete fiction, though.

And as refreshing as it was to see a business bigwig as big on honesty as Terry O'Quinn's character was, does anyone think such a person with such power exists in real life? Because my cynical self really doubts it.

I think it's based on the Tylenol tampering that took place in Chicago in 1982.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Tylenol_murders

6 hours ago, scriggle said:

I think it's based on the Tylenol tampering that took place in Chicago in 1982.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Tylenol_murders

I thought "Poison" from S1 was the Tylenol scare. (The one where bunches of folks were poisoned by cyanide in "Nacedrol" tablets (gotta love those fake drug names!) because the perp wanted to work as a business owner and needed the cash to get started. The cash coming from her suing after her hubby died [she killed him, too]. That episode also had the Briscoe/Green cameo!)

Not to say it couldn't be a repeat, but "Mis-Labeled" had the HIV angle. Hence my hoping this one was just fake and not a real news headline!) And this was only S3, so I wonder if the show would repeat that angle so soon.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, scriggle said:

You're right. I other the eps mixed up.

Hey, that's cool! If "Mis-Labeled" wasn't a headlines episode, though, it does make me wonder how these writers get their ideas for stories. Writing down their worst nightmares and going from there?  :-)

• Love 1

WE is showing Bishop episodes. I still like the exchange when Bishop goes to scroll on a computer, and Goren is all, "If you wanna scroll, scroll. Eames likes to drive, so she drives. You wanna scroll?" Classic Early OCD Quirky Goren there...

• Love 2

"Mis-Labeled" is on, the episode with the synthetic Factor 8 drugs that gave a kid HIV. While Terry O'Quinn was good here, his character was definitely mired in fiction (IMO, call me jaded!) as his CEO character seemed genuinely horrified at his company dumping tainted drugs on his watch.

Most companies seem to play "cover your ass" with something like this. 

But Brian/Eric was sufficiently creepy. I love how, at the end, he declares that he didn't do anything wrong and Bobby was all, "You cut a human being in half!"

• Love 1

I bet Kevin Tighe had a blast playing the "Angel of Death" doctor in "D.A.W." seeing as he played such a good-guy role in Emergency! waaaay back when. (Sort of before my time, but I know of the show.)

Maybe it's why VDO plays so many dastardly roles, too. Must be fun!

5 hours ago, Maherjunkie said:

Yes!

OK, but still going with "eeewwwww!" for the oral pleasure mention. I wonder if he was a riff on Jack Kevorkian? The L&O franchise did always love its "ripped from the headlines" stories.

• Love 1
On 1/16/2017 at 2:22 PM, WendyCR72 said:

"Mis-Labeled" is on, the episode with the synthetic Factor 8 drugs that gave a kid HIV. While Terry O'Quinn was good here, his character was definitely mired in fiction (IMO, call me jaded!) as his CEO character seemed genuinely horrified at his company dumping tainted drugs on his watch.

Most companies seem to play "cover your ass" with something like this. 

But Brian/Eric was sufficiently creepy. I love how, at the end, he declares that he didn't do anything wrong and Bobby was all, "You cut a human being in half!"

I love that episode because it's so clear that Brian hadn't thought through his assumption of Eric's identity in enough detail. I would have loved to see his face when he realized Eric was gay. 

I don't know that it is unrealistic to think that the CEO would be horrified by their dumping tainted drugs. If it gets out, the press would be so bad that it would crater your stock and make people lose confidence in your drugs in the developed world. When people lose trust in a brand, it can take forever to get consumer confidence back. This had to do with people's lives and health. They might never get people trusting them again. It's a dumb chance to take. Even dumping it in a 3rd world country isn't safe because the people who are most likely to purchase the drugs in a 3rd world country are people with means or charities. Both groups would likely go to the press when they discovered that the drug was tainted. Really poor people go without medicine and just die. So I can see why the CEO would be upset because there are really only downsides to dumping the drugs. Maybe you cover the costs to manufacture the drugs. But if your entire division or company hinged on covering the costs of the tainted batch, you've made a ton of terrible decisions that can't be fixed. 

• Love 1