Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E10: The Battles, Part 4

• Start Topic

From TV Guide:

The Battle rounds conclude as guest advisors Joe Jonas, Billy Ray Cyrus, Kelly Rowland, and Rascal Flatts continue to work with the artists.  A look ahead at the Knockout rounds is featured.

This episode is only one hour, so there'll likely be three montaged Battles to go with the final three shown ones.  Comment on the episode here.

Final team rosters/cheat sheets heading into the Knockouts:

Team Adam
Adam Pearce (defeated Whitney Fenimore)
Hannah Mrozak (defeated Brandon Showell)
Dylan Gerard (defeated Dave Crosby)*
Jon Mero (defeated Brandon Brown)
Emily Luther (defeated Gary Carpentier)*
Anthony Alexander (defeated Michael Kight)
Dennis Drummond (stolen from Team Blake)
Addison Agen (stolen from Team Miley)

Team Miley
Moriah Formica (defeated Shilo Gold)
Brooke Simpson (defeated Sophia Bollman)
Chloe Kohanski (defeated Ilianna Viramontes)*
Karli Webster (defeated Addison Agen)
Janice Freeman (defeated Katrina Rose)
Ashland Craft (defeated Megan Rose)
Whitney Fenimore (stolen from Team Adam)
Stephan Marcellus (stolen from Team Jennifer)

Team Jennifer
Lucas Holliday (defeated Meagan McNeal)
Chris Weaver (defeated Kathrina Feigh)
Davon Fleming (defeated Maharasyi)
Jeremiah Miller (defeated Alexandra Joyce)*
Shi'Ann Jones (defeated Stephan Marcellus)
Eric Lyn (defeated Ignatious Carmouche)
Noah Mac (stolen from Team Blake)
Katrina Rose (stolen from Team Miley)

Team Blake
Keisha Renee (defeated Noah Mac)
Esera Tuaolo (defeated Rebecca Brunner)*
Mitchell Lee (defeated Dennis Drummond)
Red Marlow (defeated Ryan Scripps)
Anna Catherine DeHart (defeated Kristi Hoopes)*
Adam Cunningham (defeated Natalie Stovall)
Kathrina Feigh (stolen from Team Jennifer)
Megan Rose (stolen from Team Miley)

Names in bold indicate an artist who has either newly won his or her Battle and stayed on his or her team, or been newly stolen by another coach.  An asterisk indicates that this artist's Battle was montaged.

• Love 1

Okay.  The Battles end . . . and the remaining three pairs actually put on good to great performances.

Adam C. vs. Natalie: So Blake tells Natalie not to hide behind her instrument, while not telling the man the same thing?  Ooooooookay, Blake.  Anyway, it was actually a pretty damn good performance on both of their parts.  Both of them sounded incredible apart and together.  It actually was a pity that no one else had a steal left other than Blake.  Of course, Adam C. was shown in his Blind, while Natalie was montaged, so of course Adam C. gets the nod.  Natalie really might've managed a steal had this Battle been a lot earlier in the order than it was, though.  It actually is surprising that she was let go, though.  She's a former label-mate of Blake's and a big-time fiddler in the country music arena.  You'd think Blake would've considered that in terms of public votes when the Lives rolled around.

Eric vs. Ignatious: I thought they both measured up to, if not surpassed, Hannah Huston's Blind from season ten.  Both were really good together and both were really good individually.  However, here's where I think Jennifer really goofed.  I preferred Ignatious by a wide margin (and so did the app voters, apparently).  But she chose Eric instead.  (This brings about an Alessandra Castronovo vs. Joe Kirk situation from season seven in which the artist with the shown Blind, Joe, actually lost to the artist with a montaged Blind, Alessandra, in an aired Battle.)  I feel really bad for Ignatious.  Like, really, really bad.  Wins the Snapchat competition, but then doesn't get his preferred coach to turn for him (though Adam would've done wrong by him, so maybe he was better off), and then is quickly dumped by the coach he actually does pick.  I think Eric is good, but compared to the rest of Team Jennifer heading on to the Knockouts?  I think he's easy Knockout fodder there.

Ashland vs. Megan: They truly saved one of the best for last.  These girls were both amazing!  I can see them being the future of female country artists.  I enjoyed their individual performances and their harmonies very much.  I don't think Miley would've gone wrong with either one, but I liked Ashland quite a bit more, so I'd say she chose right here.  But Megan definitely did a good enough job to warrant the steal, so kudos to her.  However, looking at Blake's team roster for the Knockouts, she might end up being easy Knockout fodder to go against Anna Catherine or Keisha, or perhaps even one of his country guys.

So that ends the Battles.  Bring on the Knockouts, as well as next season's new coach, Kelly Clarkson!

• Love 3

Eric vs. Ignatious and Ashland vs, Megan made a lot of sense as battle pairings because of how similar the artists in each pair were. I was a little disappointed in Blake's save for that reason (and also because the show telling us it was coming which lowers the stakes for the last battle).

I like how The Voice is flat out taking credit for Kelly Clarkson as a success story because she was on a reality singing competition. It's so transparent. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Star Aristille said:

So Blake tells Natalie not to hide behind her instrument, while not telling the man the same thing?  Ooooooookay, Blake. 

Thank you.  That's the thing that got my attention in that battle, and it seriously annoyed the crap out of me.  Maybe it wasn't a gender bias, but it sure looked that way to me.

and also because the show telling us it was coming which lowers the stakes for the last battle

Very true.  And I knew that Jennifer's pairing had no chance for that steal, either.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2

It would be gender biases if Natalie were playing guitar and was told to lose it. The fiddle was up by her face and looked to be a big distraction while singing.  That's all I noticed when she was playing/singing in rehearsal. I couldn't have told you if she had a good voice at that point. Blake had it right that her vocal got stronger without the fiddle. I would have chosen Natalie that battle, but I wonder if Adam is Blake's chosen country singer. I can see Blake pairing Adam and Red in the Knock-outs with Red being fodder. That's the only thing that makes sense in Red winning his battle.

• Love 4

At first I liked how this season's battles featured more harmonies and subtle showcasing of voices vs. the screechfests that we sometimes get when people are just singing all over the place. BUT - the last two episodes made me miss the artists actually "battling". Don't get me wrong, as performances they were more pleasant and seemed really polished and professional, but I didn't get to hear enough of each contestent's vocal stylings. I realized that my favorite battles in this show's history were the Katrina/Janice type pairings where there wasn't much harmony/singing together, and each vocalist was able to show off their tricks and range. Where it felt less like a grammy duet, and more like "I'm singing for my life". Weird!

11 hours ago, Star Aristille said:

Eric vs. Ignatious: I thought they both measured up to, if not surpassed, Hannah Huston's Blind from season ten.  Both were really good together and both were really good individually.  However, here's where I think Jennifer really goofed.  I preferred Ignatious by a wide margin (and so did the app voters, apparently).  But she chose Eric instead.  (This brings about an Alessandra Castronovo vs. Joe Kirk situation from season seven in which the artist with the shown Blind, Joe, actually lost to the artist with a montaged Blind, Alessandra, in an aired Battle.)  I feel really bad for Ignatious.  Like, really, really bad.  Wins the Snapchat competition, but then doesn't get his preferred coach to turn for him (though Adam would've done wrong by him, so maybe he was better off), and then is quickly dumped by the coach he actually does pick.  I think Eric is good, but compared to the rest of Team Jennifer heading on to the Knockouts?  I think he's easy Knockout fodder there.

I agree - I think Ignatious had better promise overall, and given some coaching, I think he could be great. I think Jennifer picked Eric because Ignatious is too similar to her other male vocalists, and Eric will be easy fodder. That's the only way I can justify that pick.

I'm loving Kelly Rowland. I enjoyed her as a coach on other shows, and I wouldn't mind seeing her try out a season here. But I worry that she's not a big enough "name", because in the US she's really only 1/3 of Destiny's Child, and not fully recognized as a successful solo artist in her own right. That's a shame.

I'm mildly obsessed with Kelly Clarkson, so I cannot wait to see her in action. If anyone wants to be blown away, hit up YouTube and check out her covers of Adele, Radiohead, Otis Redding, etc., sometimes acapella or with only a piano. She is truly an underrated singer, and should be counted among the greats (Xtina, Etta, Patti, Celine, Whitney, Ella et. al). Actually, I love when the judges sing on this show, whether it's for fun, like Miley did this episode, or to demonstrate technique or runs, like Xtina and JHud sometimes do. When it's someone who is truly talented, it's such a pleasure to see them in their element and do what they do best. Ditto Adam/Alicia when they're arranging songs on the fly - it's very cool to watch. I don't find Jennifer annoying in this, like some other posters do - I only find her annoying when she relates everything back to herself and is all about "me, me, me". But, I'm happy to see that she's toned it down a bit. And I think her coaching has been excellent these last few episodes.

So, who do we think has the strongest team so far?

Edited by Sugar
  • Love 3

I've had my issues with Miley over the years.  She went through a real odd period, but, one of my favorite scenes on TV ever, was the look of pure joy when the artist she let go was saved by another coach.  The look on her face was priceless.  She REALLY felt relief and happiness for that artist.  I admire that in a person.  Nothing against Adam, but, I can't see him feeling that way.  lol  I've seen other coaches seem happy for their let go artists, but, not the way she was. imo. 

• Love 9

I enjoy Miley as well, and think there is a true substance to her that was overshadowed by her younger self's behavior.  To me, she comes across as real and intelligent and well versed in her craft.  Enjoying her so much as a coach, and agree that she is truly vested in her team.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, Sugar said:

Definitely between Miley and Jennifer to me.  Both ladies have two four-chair-turns on their team (Brooke and Moriah for Miley, Chris and Davon for Jennifer) who are also unquestionably the strongest ones on their teams, while Adam and Blake each only have one (Jon for Adam, Keisha for Blake).  In addition, many of the simply good artists on each of Miley and Jennifer's teams showed much greater improvement between their Blinds and their Battles, compared to Blake's team, who showed some improvement, while Adam's team . . . really hasn't shown any improvement.  Not to mention that the women have many more memorable people on them, while Adam and Blake's team members are so interchangeable.

• Love 1
On 25/10/2017 at 5:48 AM, Sugar said:

This was a superb round of battles IMO.  I don't remember a season in a while where such talented singers went home.  Natalie Stovall from this episode, for example.  I think she could have gone very far.  Not that Adam C. wasn't very good, and I like Little Big Town so I'm biased, but it's hard to believe she wasn't stolen.  

There's a ton of unexplained dislike for Adam, including the poster(s) who seem to write the detailed summaries every season, so reading here you'd think Adam has a terrible team.  And although I have a personal impartiality, nonetheless I think I can say from a forced objective view that Adam has his best team in a long while, and very possibly the best overall.  (And - amazingly - he has three women on his squad!)  But Miley's team is also very, very good.  I think Blake's team is the weakest - which won't prevent him from getting someone to very close to the end - and I'm divided on Jennifer's team.  She has some good singers and I don't mind her coaching style but some of her battles were exhausting.  

Best season in a while.  

• Love 1

I agree with Shades of Scarlet both that this was a superb battle round and that this is shaping up to the be the best season in a while.  Though there is no standout frontrunner like we've had in several other seasons, there is a lot more depth in terms of the number of talented contestants.  You'd have to go back to Seasons 3 and 4 to find such a large number of really good singers going into the knockout rounds.

On 10/24/2017 at 7:15 PM, Star Aristille said:

Ashland vs. Megan: They truly saved one of the best for last.  These girls were both amazing!  I can see them being the future of female country artists.  I enjoyed their individual performances and their harmonies very much.  I don't think Miley would've gone wrong with either one, but I liked Ashland quite a bit more, so I'd say she chose right here.  But Megan definitely did a good enough job to warrant the steal, so kudos to her.  However, looking at Blake's team roster for the Knockouts, she might end up being easy Knockout fodder to go against Anna Catherine or Keisha, or perhaps even one of his country guys.

I've found that I generally agree with Star Aristille's recaps of the performances, but I do have to note that I really loved the tone in Eric and Megan's voices.  They have less of stage presence and certainly seemed less seasoned than their respective opponents in these two battles, but I can't argue too much with Jennifer picking Eric and I might have even given the last battle to Megan.

• Love 1