Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Emergency Makeover

3 hours ago, Nancypants said:

Is Adriana a Fembot?  She has the strangest affect. 

She's a terrible host, very stiff & everything she says sounds overly rehearsed with no emotion in it.

• Love 1

I cracked up when Adriana said "Thanks!" and waved to the tv screen, as if the Aerie girl could see her.

Tyme's voice still really annoys me but I wanted to high five her when she told Jonny, "You don't have to call me sweetie." It is so incrediblycondescending when people use a nickname like that when they're arguing or being assholes.

Man, Corey has such a huge chip on his shoulder. I don't even like Sandy but I felt bad for him when Corey attacked him like that. "We all did amazing work - except Sandy. HE SUCKS." Seriously, STFU.

I didn't think it was possible for Adriana to sound any more robotic but she managed to have even less emotion in her voice this week. Is it because she's reading off cue cards? And to think we made fun of Katie Lee Joel when she hosted Top Chef for sounding like a robot. Adriana sounds like a robot who just took a strong dose of Nyquil and is falling asleep in the middle of each sentence.

I liked that this week's challenge was essentially to do natural looking/daytime makeup. I didn't think that the eye makeup on Tyme's model was too much either. It wasn't as heavy as the makeup on the girl who wanted orange eye shadow with a smoky eye.

Weird that Danny came off as so loud, cocky, and obnoxious in the first episode but he had such a quiet, classy exit.

• Love 2

Corey really needs to focus on his own work--if he continues to obsess over Sandy, it will have a bad result on his own work.  That said, I do agree with him that Sandy should go soon.  He is all talk and no show.

I don't understand this week's elimination.  I thought Danny's model looked very pretty and natural for a daytime look.  What did the judges want?

On 10/20/2017 at 6:12 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Man, Corey has such a huge chip on his shoulder. I don't even like Sandy but I felt bad for him when Corey attacked him like that. "We all did amazing work - except Sandy. HE SUCKS." Seriously, STFU.

I didn't think it was possible for Adriana to sound any more robotic but she managed to have even less emotion in her voice this week. Is it because she's reading off cue cards? And to think we made fun of Katie Lee Joel when she hosted Top Chef for sounding like a robot. Adriana sounds like a robot who just took a strong dose of Nyquil and is falling asleep in the middle of each sentence.

Corey is the very definition of a sore winner.

Katie Lee Joel! Good times. Adriana Lima makes Katie Lee look like Joan Rivers. Jesus.

I don't understand this show at all. Was everyone at Lifetime drunk when they pitched it? "Its gonna be great! Picture it! 6 hairdressers, 6 makeup artists. not professional makeup artists. People who do Youtube videos! They'll do challenges, partnered with people they don't know, who aren't taking part in the competition, stay with me here, to do complete looks! Even though they only do one thing, hair or makeup! Adriana Lima will host--she's beautiful, she barely speaks English, and has the personality of a cheese grater! The contestants will be the most poisonous attention hogging divas we can find! we will spend half the show shilling products!" I don't get it.

• Love 4

I've been watching since the beginning of the series but haven't yet commented.

What strikes me about American Beauty Star is how awkward it is. I understand why they'd want both makeup artists and hairdressers to participate, but don't understand the reasoning behind pairing each contestant with a non-contestant to fulfill the role outside their specialty. To me, it would have been much more logical to cast 12 makeup artists and 12 hairdressers, and then pair them up in rotation to form each week's teams. Then, after each challenge, have a winner for makeup and a winner for hairstyle, and also a loser from each category.

AFAIK, in most professional situations in which a MUA and hairstylist are required (fashion shows, photo shoots, TV/film, etc.) the MUA's and hairstylists may not know each other but DO have to work together and communicate with each other to put together a cohesive look while also fulfilling the client's requirements. So, the random pairing of the MUA's and hairstylists, and changing the match-ups each week, would give the judges some valuable, "real world" information in so far as who is able to rise above personality and work with someone else to get the job done successfully.

I'm just really confused as to why the show is structured the way it is. It's strange and more than a bit of a mess.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
Changed word choice to avoid repetition
  • Love 8