Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Roll Out the Red Carpet

This show is such a mess - it's like Community Theater Project Runway. Get a foreign supermodel (or whatever we can afford) as the host, have lots of drama and back-biting, do a runway show, and then make the contestants defend their look (try to get them to tell sad stories about themselves to justify what they've done.) The difference is that Heidi Klum is actually good at her job, the dress designers are all dress designers, they aren't a mix of designers and seamstresses with non-competitors doing the part of the job they can't, and the critique on the runway usually makes sense. I've watched both of the episodes and after the judges' critiques I'm always surprised by the winners and the losers because it doesn't match anything the judges said. If this show were on a major network, I think it would have been cancelled by now.

• Love 13
8 hours ago, anniebird said:

This show is such a mess - it's like Community Theater Project Runway. Get a foreign supermodel (or whatever we can afford) as the host, have lots of drama and back-biting, do a runway show, and then make the contestants defend their look (try to get them to tell sad stories about themselves to justify what they've done.) The difference is that Heidi Klum is actually good at her job, the dress designers are all dress designers, they aren't a mix of designers and seamstresses with non-competitors doing the part of the job they can't, and the critique on the runway usually makes sense. I've watched both of the episodes and after the judges' critiques I'm always surprised by the winners and the losers because it doesn't match anything the judges said. If this show were on a major network, I think it would have been cancelled by now.

Community Theater  Project Runway! If I stick with this I will enjoy it more for having that description in mind.  

• Love 6

Agreed, none of this can really be taken seriously.  They're getting paid something, regardless of when they get booted.  And they're all getting exposure for their "brand", if they can keep themselves together & not look TOO psycho.  Danny may have a problem with that, because he's already convinced he's a legend.  *LOL*

The key is to pay NO attention to what they say, just watch them make the pretty!

• Love 3

Dear Show,

It's only week two. That means I still don't know everyone's names, which is why you need to keep using chyrons whenever one of these idiots starts talking. Otherwise I refer to them as "dummy with the hair."

Sincerely,
EB

While part of me understands when contestants on any competitive reality show want to stay true to their vision (heh, or their "vision" as the case may be sometimes), why don't these dumbasses realize that the mentors are trying to help them? Amanda just made her self look stubborn and willfully ignorant when Sir John told her that she needed to pump up her look and she said, "But I gave the model a beauty mark." Yes, because when she's on a red carpet, a tiny dot on her face is what will stand out. He's not trying to change your vision or "tell her how to portray her work." He specifically said that she needed to do something to make the model unforgettable, whether it was adding a pop of color or doing something else to "take her look from zero to a hundred." The model's hair looked dry and limp. On a shallow note, from certain angles Amanda reminds me of Cobie Smulders. I hated the way she had her own hair this week.

Catherine's model looked like her hair was greasy. I hated the super light pink lipstick. Seriously, girl, what year do you think ti is?

Corey is driving me crazy. First his pedestrian = jaywalking thing but then his whole chingyong thing. Corey, the word is chignon, which is pronounced shin-yon. It's not shing-yong. Listen to the way the Vogue lady says it. Corey's model had a touch too much blush but I liked her eye makeup and lip color. I liked where he was going with the hair but it looked a little unpolished.

I hated Mitchell's selfie video in the car. Like why couldn't he shoot that video before or after they got in the damn car? Ugh. His model's makeup looked very natural and fresh faced but I would have preferred something a little more glamorous for the red carpet. I think even something as simple as a bolder lip color would have made her look a little more glam. If you look at the closeup of just her face where you can't see the dress, the makeup and hair look like something that would be appropriate for working in an office.

John managed to give his model a similar look but in a more glamorous/dressed up kind of way. I think the eyelashes he used and the classic movie star hair really helped elevate it from natural beauty to red carpet.

Andrew's model needed better makeup because her skin did not look good during the photoshoot. The silver eyeshadow plus the glitter on her arms and back was just way too late 90s at a bar for me. Her messy hair looked more appropriate for a bar than a red carpet. Overall, the look was very Britney Spears circa 2000.

I felt bad that Kym lost her voice but then I got annoyed when she said that she is a single mom who is doing this to show her kids that they can do anything. That is a huge pet peeve of mine on reality shows. Just admit that you want to do this. Quit using your kids as an excuse to do whatever you're doing. I really disliked the mint green dress she put on her model. The appliqués looked like pasties and the sheer top made it look like a really shitty knock off of Halle Berry's Elie Saab dress at the 2002 Oscars..

Sandy is so obnoxious. "How are you doing?" "Killing it over here! Crushing it!" But then when Sir John asked what his model's X factor was, Sandy said, "The way she's going to present herself on the red carpet." Uh, the whole point of this competition is for YOU to make the model look good. If you're going to rely on the way she presents herself then she doesn't really need you, does she? It looked like there was something wonky about her fake eyelashes on one eye. I think maybe the inner corner wasn't positioned or glued well? I liked the classic red lipstick, but the way it was applied made her mouth look asymmetric. The right side of her mouth was drawn more fully and the left side was drawn at a sharper angle. I liked the eye shadow though.

Glad to see Danny's interrogation shirts are back. I had to laugh that he was criticizing John for talking too much and not taking enough time to fix his model's frizzy hair. This coming from someone who finished so early that he had time to stand around talking shit about everyone else. You'd think he'd be used to heat since he's from Miami but he was sweating like crazy when he was dabbing at his face. His model looked very pale in a ghostly way. I think some black eyeliner on the top lid would have made her eyes look more red carpet.

Tyme's voice is so annoying. Between the weird accent, the nasal tone of her voice, her strange overenunciation of certain words, and the whiny quality, it's like nails on a chalkboard. I like strong/bold eyebrows but the ones Tyme put on her model looked like they were drawn on with a sharpie. I didn't like the nude lip color she used either.

What kind of red carpet was this supposed to be for? I'm just saying that there's a difference between the red carpet for the Oscars versus the red carpet for the VMAs. If we're talking about something like the Oscars, I would opt for a clean, classic look aka no glitter.

The guest judge looked like she was sitting on her couch at home in a robe after she got out of the shower. One shoulder of her top was so far down that I kept thinking I would see her entire boob before judging was over. Tyme, on the other hand, was actually wearing a robe and slippers on the red carpet. What the actual fuck?

I hated Adriana's dress during judging. Between the cutouts and the sheer panels, there was just too much going on.

Is it just me or are these models not very good on the runway?

I had to laugh when one of the contestants told Kym to KIT after she was eliminated. I haven't heard that since the last time someone signed my yearbook!

• Love 3

The guest judge, Behati, is married to Maroon 5 singer Adam Levine.  She probably thinks her pearls-of-wisdom commentary precludes her from having to look like she gives a crap. 

Though in fairness, the real models do have to spend all of their work time concentrating on how they look, so I imagine getting to do a professional gig looking like you just got off the couch & rinsed the Cheetos dust off your fingers is pretty appealing. 

I abhor the "sharpie eyebrow" trend also.  So exaggerated and ridiculous looking.   Just add a fake mustache & glasses and your Groucho Marx look is complete. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I really disliked the mint green dress she put on her model. The appliqués looked like pasties and the sheer top made it look like a really shitty knock off of Halle Berry's Elie Saab dress at the 2002 Oscars..

I think they were assigned a dress - I don't think they chose them.

• Love 1
On 10/1/2017 at 8:50 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Is it just me or are these models not very good on the runway?

How on earth could you tell?  It seems like we got a 5 second shot of each model...I could barely register their hair and makeup, let alone how good a model they were (and really didn't care enough to rewind/pause to take a closer look)!  It makes me question why they need the entire back half of the show for the runway/critique, but then I figure it's because it takes forever for Adriana to get her words out.  I mean, damn, girl.  

I don't know...this show should be in my happy place, but it's so badly done, it's so confusing and it's so excruciating listening to Adriana and Tyme, that I may be done.  They keep eliminating the likable people...what was wrong with the loosing look this week?  False eyelashes on the bottom?  What's so wrong with that?  Adriana said she had seen it before, so it's not like it was a huge no-no. 

Another question - that guy who kept saying he was saving his "wow" for the runway, but wouldn't say what it was...what was it?  I couldn't figure it out.  Was it the glitter? 

I'm going to give this show one more week, but I doubt it will improve enough for me to continue watching it.  Maybe I'm just not the right audience for it.  I'm not a make-up junkie, and have never watched a tutorial, although I like "girly" things enough.  I've certainly never heard of any of these self-important idiots.

• Love 2