Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Carry the Weight

Season Finale:

Jane gets an eye-opening experience when she is tasked with writing a piece about a performance artist/activist who is speaking out about sexual assault. Kat is distracted by thoughts of Adena while trying to throw a memorable NY Fashion Week party for Scarlet; and Sutton gets into an awkward situation with Richard. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Kat is distracted by thoughts of Adena while trying to throw a memorable NY Fashion Week party for Scarlet

When isn't Kat distracted, by thoughts of Adena or otherwise? Heh. Blurb writers crack me up.

• Love 8
37 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

When isn't Kat distracted, by thoughts of Adena or otherwise? Heh. Blurb writers crack me up.

Get distracted by thoughts of Adena and make impulsive decisions have been the only things she has done according to the blurb writers.  Its almost like its a running joke.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Oh, man, that HR-Richard-Sutton conversation was the most awkward interview ever. And pretty inappropriate from a legal perspective.

That interview seemed all sorts of wrong to me. I don't even understand why 2 people dating at a large corporation would require HR interviews with legal dept assistance.

I knew Jacqueline was going to end up taking the weights.

I can't imagine Jane is going to stay at the other place, if there's a next season, it will be all about her coming back.

I think the interview with HR made sense. All it takes is a coworker (Cassie for instance) to find out they are dating and run to HR saying "Sutton is getting preferential treatment due to a romantic relationships she is having with Alex (the fashion credit she was given for his article).  They could have a suit/complaint filed against them. Also, if all this happened with Alex then Richard definitely has no business dating Sutton while a member of the board/legal.  And being part of this interview was definitely not going to be looked at well if their relationship gets out.  

Also Jacqueline with the personal story we found about this episode is definitely going to be sensitive to making sure that the vibe Alex/Sutton had during last episode was consensual and not coerced especially since they were inebriated. What happens out of office still could have legal ramifications for Scarlet.

• Love 3

I think this was their most powerful episode. I did cry. I seriously hope they get a season two. They know how to handle very well and in an emotional way a difficult subject. 

Like @funkopop I also think that that interview made sense.  

• Love 1

I am not a fan of Richard at all. I become less of a fan every time I see him. He comes off as more of a self involved dick than someone who truly cares about Sutton. Jesus man, make up some excuse to not go to that fucking meeting. They would have told him the parties involved. He would have known it was Sutton. He should have spared her the discomfort of having to explain another relationship in front of him. Add that to the most passionless "I should have fought for you" I've ever heard and Sutton made the wrong decision. Ugh. 

Jane, on the other hand, didn't cave. I'm impressed. I think she's right to move to the other, more serious magazine since she seems to want to be a political type writer. She'll have more opportunities, but all episode I kept waiting for her to change her mind. I thought for sure she would wimp out. Obviously if they get a second season she'll come back, but if this is the end, I'm glad they ended with her moving on. 

Same for Kat. Girl needs to quit her job and just be a flightly heiress. Her parents are obviously loaded. Just go tweet your way across Europe with your edgy girlfriend. Start your own travel blog or something. 

I found the whole girl holding the weights thing very moving. Especially when Jac took the weights. Damn if I didn't get all misty. As much as I may gripe about her kid glove treatment of Jane, I do love Jacqueline. Great character. And Melora Hardin is one of those women who is improving with age. I love her in this role. 

It was a cute little show. Glad I watched. I was going to give it up after all the commercials of them in the evening gowns screaming in the subway, but I'm glad I stuck it out. 

• Love 3

They have to have more than Richard in their Legal Department. Another attorney could have taken that meeting. I don't know that I want Sutton with Alex, but at least, he has personality and a presence. I was bummed for both of them when they took the saddest photo booth pics ever. 

I misted up as soon as Milck's song "I Can't Keep Quiet" started playing, and I figured Jacqueline had a personal attachment to Jane's story. Too many do. 

I hope there is another season, and we get to see how Jane comes back. With the publishing industry these days, Insight could buy Scarlet or vice versa, and boom, merger. 

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:36 PM, calliope1975 said:

They have to have more than Richard in their Legal Department.

Richard opens up so many questions about Steinem's legal department. What does Richard do. Is he a business lawyer or an employment lawyer? If Steinem is supposed to be a publishing company anywhere near the size of say, Hearst (I'm assuming, based on when they showed us the "Steinem building" which is pretty big and fancy and would presumably indicate that Steinem is big and profitable), then why don't they have a single in-house employment lawyer? If they get a next season, I desperately hope they'll explain what the Hell Richard actually does. (They won't, I know.) Even if they tossed off some throwaway line about how each of the magazines under Steinem's umbrella have a lawyer assigned to be "their" lawyer. I don't mind a little plot contrivance, but it just feels so forced that Richard is constantly in the middle of these situations.

I knew Jacqueline was going to take the weights as soon as she started acting so over the top about Jane's article, but props to Melora Hardin for making me care anyway. I always really appreciate it when the show doesn't have to rely on surprising me, but instead can just execute the Hell out of a beat.

Kat can go away, though. Last episode she was going to go with Adena but changed her mind at the last second. This episode she was going to stay but changed her mind at the last second. GIRL. MAKE A DECISION. I know she's young, but it bothers me that she's so damn flighty when she has been entrusted with some seniority at work. In real life it would be exhausting for her friends to never know when she means what she says and there is no way she could just waffle like that and not have consequences at her job.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, BabyVegas said:

What does Richard do.

Whatever legal stuff the story requires. He advises on HR matters, he deals with libel suits, he sits on the board. IRL he'd specialize, of course, but I can hand wave him being all-purpose for the show. At least they're not having him fill in for Jacqueline because she's out of town or something.

What I don't understand is why Sutton and Alex had to have an HR meeting. They are in different departments. She begged him for the styling opportunity, and it was before they slept together. Alex is not her direct supervisor—Oliver is, as we've seen many times—so I don't get how dating him would give her an unfair advantage. He's a writer, yes? That styling credit was specific to the story, not to his work in general. Publishing isn't a business that generally prohibits its employees from dating one another.

• Love 3
On 9/8/2017 at 7:39 PM, BabyVegas said:

Kat can go away, though. Last episode she was going to go with Adena but changed her mind at the last second. This episode she was going to stay but changed her mind at the last second. GIRL. MAKE A DECISION. I know she's young, but it bothers me that she's so damn flighty when she has been entrusted with some seniority at work. In real life it would be exhausting for her friends to never know when she means what she says and there is no way she could just waffle like that and not have consequences at her job.

Wait, how do we know that Kat isn't simply taking a vacation?  There is a big difference between impulsively jumping on plane to Iran or some other middle-eastern country while abandoning her job and everything else in the process, compared to taking a backpacking trip through the Peruvian Andes with her girlfriend while she does some soul-searching.  I thought the whole point was that this time Kat actually thought it out over several days before making the decision to join Adena in South America.  

Of course my interpretation may be influenced by the fact that I did the exact same thing when I was about Kat's age, for very similar reasons (though to elsewhere in Latin America).  I had accumulated vacation days and got lucky in managing to arrange for time off with less than 2 weeks advanced notice so that I could meet up with a girlfriend who was down there on a Spanish language immersion program.  It was during that trip that I realized that I was burning out at my current job and needed to change careers. I applied to Grad School for the following fall, but did return to my job in the meantime.

Even though I'm a guy, straight and don't have rich parents, Kat actually reminds me a lot of a female version of myself at the age.  I somehow ended up in a job with a lot more responsibility that I probably should have had, mostly because I was already more familiar with a particular new technology than anyone else in the office.  I was not really quite mature or experienced enough to handle it, but somehow managed to pull through surprisingly successfully despite making numerous impulsive mistakes (stuff that makes me cringe now in retrospect, but I guess that's how you learn). 

I do also think its not quite fair to criticize Kat for being flighty.  Not when both her friends were equally indecisive about whether to take new jobs and who they wanted to date.

This is not exactly the kind of show I usually watch.  I only programmed it into my VCR because I got confused and thought it was about something else.  I think the main reason I eventually got around watching out the season was because of Kat.  If there is another season, I sure hope she comes back.  It wouldn't be the same show without her.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, viajero said:

Wait, how do we know that Kat isn't simply taking a vacation?

Even if she was taking a vacation I still stand behind my point. I have never worked for any major corporation where you could take a vacation at the drop of a hat. I didn't see very much, if any, time passing during that montage so there was nothing to show me that she wasn't just taking off again.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, BabyVegas said:

Even if she was taking a vacation I still stand behind my point. I have never worked for any major corporation where you could take a vacation at the drop of a hat. I didn't see very much, if any, time passing during that montage so there was nothing to show me that she wasn't just taking off again.

I've worked for corporations my entire life and have several times over the years managed to take vacations on relatively short notice.  Among other things, I've found that most of my employers tended not to like it if you accumulate too many vacation days and can be quite flexible if you want to use some of them.  Also it becomes a lot easier to do that once you once you are the head of a division or office.  But I guess that can depend on what industry you're in and what your own job is. 

In any case, I saw absolutely nothing that told me that she wasn't taking a vacation.  She was certainly packed for a vacation and not a permanent move.  Plus, her arrival in Peru could not have taken place at the same time as the shots of Jane during that montage, unless you assume she magically teleported there.  It could have been days or even weeks later, for all we know.  I assume they purposefully kept their options open in case there is another season.

Edited by viajero
16 hours ago, viajero said:

Also it becomes a lot easier to do that once you once you are the head of a division or office.  But I guess that can depend on what industry you're in and what your own job is. 

Sure, when your department is more than you and some flighty intern or whoever that was she had to fire who seems to be the only person who works for Kat.

But since Kat seems to be a director in title only and really just runs around tweeting and party planning they could certainly do without her for a while. Give Jackie a break from cleaning up after her disasters. lol

• Love 2
9 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Now I need to know what you thought this show was, viajero!

It was really mostly an impulse as I was programing my VCR to record something else and noticed The Bold Type premier listed a couple of channels below the program I was looking for.  I hadn't seen any previews, but had some kind of vague idea that it might be about reporters.   I thought perhaps something like Network.  It turned out to be a happy accident since I don't regret watching the show.

• Love 2