Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E17: Feeling Lost

Word of Lee’s brimming success and new girlfriend throws Mary Jane’s already tenuous relationship with Justin into doubt. Kara meets Orlando’s young attractive mother, who doesn’t share Kara’s enthusiasm for Orlando’s budding broadcasting career.

I'm surprised that Kara and Orlando's mother actually came together at the end because I was expecting a trainwreck.  I give Kara props for being smart and really good at her job but she's just too hyper for me.   I definitely couldn't take her as a friend.  I do wonder how long the mother will be sticking around though.  Kissing her grown son smack on the mouth.  Ugh.

Whoever posted last week that Justin's ex was deceased and left him stock was correct.  Too bad she's dead though, because I wanted her to be competition for Mary Jane, who is just too stupid to have a normal, mature relationship with anybody.  I liked Lee's new girlfriend and I truly hope that he is over Mary Jane.   

And finally, Mama Shug.  Who in their right mind would tell their son in a public place that the man who he thought for 40+ years was his father--is not his father?  I thought that was so insensitive of her because that conversation should have been held in private.  I don't like her much anyway because I think she's a bad actress; she just seems to recite her lines without much emotion.  I was glad Patrick walked out on her, and really glad that he went to a meeting instead of succumbing to the temptation of drugs.  It must have been painful for Paul Sr. to have to tell his son the truth.  

Edited by Ohwell
Patrick, not Paul
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

And finally, Mama Shug.  Who in their right mind would tell their son in a public place that the man who he thought for 40+ years was his father--is not his father?  I thought that was so insensitive of her because that conversation should have been held in private.  I don't like her much anyway because I think she's a bad actress; she just seems to recite her lines without much emotion.  I was glad Paul walked out on her, and really glad that he went to a meeting instead of succumbing to the temptation of drugs.  It must have been painful for Paul Sr. to have to tell his son the truth.  

I thought that was cruel and heartless of her.  She invites her son to a restaurant to tell him something that private.  Poor Paul.  I didn't get why he should have been upset at his father.  He came off as a hypocrite since in the beginning of the episode, he told the young man that it doesn't matter if the people who support you are your family or not, it's more important to be supported.  Your father isn't the one who screwed your mother, your father is the one who was there for you.  Paul is Paul Jr's father, Frank was just the sperm donor.

When is blondie going to get into a car wreck/get a disease, or have something happen to her that ruins her looks?  Because that's the only reason she's popular, because of her looks.

I never liked Lee.  How dare he dis' Mary Jane when HE was the one who had some bizarre relationship with his ex and had not one but two children?  He always rubbed me the wrong way; and a man who can't stop talking about his ex is obsessed with her; his present girlfriend must have very LOW self esteem.

However, MJ was right when she was talking to her publicist.  People always complain about black women, but no one ever asks "why," as opposed to someone like Dani who is the way she is because she's an entitled, privileged, rhymes with witch.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2
On 8/30/2017 at 7:10 PM, Neurochick said:

He always rubbed me the wrong way; and a man who can't stop talking about his ex is obsessed with her;

Yeah, I was wrong because he's clearly not over MJ.  I still like the gf but I hope she dumps him.  

I understand that Patrick might have come off as a hypocrite for being angry at Paul Sr., but he's still reeling from the news so I can understand him lashing out.  When he was talking to that young man, not in his wildest imagination would he have thought that the same thing applied to him.  Hopefully he'll come to his senses and make up with his "real" dad, Paul Sr.  

Edited by Ohwell
Patrick, not Paul
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I understand that Paul might have come off as a hypocrite for being angry at Paul Sr., but he's still reeling from the news so I can understand him lashing out.  When he was talking to that young man, not in his wildest imagination would he have thought that the same thing applied to him.  Hopefully he'll come to his senses and make up with his "real" dad, Paul Sr.  

That's understandable.  I'm still mad at Mama Shug for telling Paul Jr. in the middle of a public place.  Either they both should have sat him down and told him; or they should have taken that secret to their graves.

Now, when is the show going to rid itself of blondie?  Maybe she'll get on Fox News?  Or, she'll try to get on Fox News, only to be told she's too old and ugly for Fox.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2

I'm annoyed by Lee. This whole TV development deal just makes him seem like a bitter opportunist. No one would be interested in his boring ass life if he hadn't been with MJ. It's sleazy to me.

Also, that whole thing after Orlando's interview where Dani claimed that she killed it just summed up what (social) media is like now. Like, to me, Orlando was the clear winner out there but Dani sticking to her talking points was enough to be classified a "win" in her fans' book. *eye roll*

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I'm surprised that Kara and Orlando's mother actually came together at the end because I was expecting a trainwreck.  I give Kara props for being smart and really good at her job but she's just too hyper for me.   I definitely couldn't take her as a friend.  I do wonder how long the mother will be sticking around though.  Kissing her grown son smack on the mouth.  Ugh.

Whoever posted last week that Justin's ex was deceased and left him stock was correct.  Too bad she's dead though, because I wanted her to be competition for Mary Jane, who is just too stupid to have a normal, mature relationship with anybody.  I liked Lee's new girlfriend and I truly hope that he is over Mary Jane.   

And finally, Mama Shug.  Who in their right mind would tell their son in a public place that the man who he thought for 40+ years was his father--is not his father?  I thought that was so insensitive of her because that conversation should have been held in private.  I don't like her much anyway because I think she's a bad actress; she just seems to recite her lines without much emotion.  I was glad Paul walked out on her, and really glad that he went to a meeting instead of succumbing to the temptation of drugs.  It must have been painful for Paul Sr. to have to tell his son the truth.  

LOL this cracked me up. I actually like Kara's enthusiasm lol. She's really passionate about her job. And yes ugh to the kissing a grown son on the mouth. That was TOO much.

It's unfortunate that Justin's ex was deceased...I agree it would've been interesting to see the competition between her and Mary Jane. Based on what was said about Justin's ex this woman was very intelligent and a humanitarian. Clearly great qualities. I agree Lee's new girl is cool.

YES! That scene was ridiculous. I can't figure it out either but the mom bugs me lol. I agree I'm glad they made Paul seek help it would've been too easy to make him spiral out of control given the circumstances. It certainly was difficult for Paul Sr. his facial expression spoke volumes in that scene.

3 hours ago, Mozelle said:

I'm annoyed by Lee. This whole TV development deal just makes him seem like a bitter opportunist. No one would be interested in his boring ass life if he hadn't been with MJ. It's sleazy to me.

Also, that whole thing after Orlando's interview where Dani claimed that she killed it just summed up what (social) media is like now. Like, to me, Orlando was the clear winner out there but Dani sticking to her talking points was enough to be classified a "win" in her fans' book. *eye roll*

ON POINT! Clearly Orlando handled himself well. This Dani character annoys me so much.

• Love 2

Paul is Paul Jr's father, Frank was just the sperm donor.

Patrick. Frank impregnated Helen w/ Patrick. PJ, the youngest, is Paul, Jr. I wondered why the younger son was named after the father.  Maybe this has something to do with it.

10 hours ago, RaeSpellman said:

Patrick. Frank impregnated Helen w/ Patrick. PJ, the youngest, is Paul, Jr. I wondered why the younger son was named after the father.  Maybe this has something to do with it.

Yup, it's Patrick and I should have remembered that!  That does explain why the younger son is named Paul Jr.  Now I'm wondering if Mary Jane or Patrick ever wondered why. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, RaeSpellman said:

37 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Yup, it's Patrick and I should have remembered that!  That does explain why the younger son is named Paul Jr.  Now I'm wondering if Mary Jane or Patrick ever wondered why. 

And Mary Jane is actually Pauletta.  So really, Patrick is the only one not named after their dad....

On 8/30/2017 at 2:32 PM, Ohwell said:

That was me.  Honestly, I'm glad the girlfriend isn't around because it would only drive Mary Jane to be more immature and insufferable.

Damn, Orlando is sexy.  And watching him speak intelligently and hold his own against racist blonde chick.....yum.  I loved the other ladies laughing at how Kara and the mom are basically the same person.  

• Love 1

I still can't get over Helen! Like Ohwell and Neurochick pointed out, it was absolutely heartless of her to break such news to Patrick like that. She knows how her son has struggled with his addictions, and she has to understand that something like this could easily send him back into dangerous habits. I'm glad he sought out NA. 

Also, learning that Frank had addiction issues was interesting because it seems not only does it provide some backstory about Patrick and how he's (seemingly) more susceptible (I know there's been conversation and studies from many sides about whether addiction can be genetic), but then we can see how maybe Frank's DNA has also passed down to Niecy and the choices she's made in life...although, really that could also be Helen's DNA having an influence on her.

Which also leads me to this: Howwwwww has Helen been able to fix her mouth at either MJ or Niecy for all these years knowing that she herself has been pining for Frank for decades?!

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

And Mary Jane is actually Pauletta.  So really, Patrick is the only one not named after their dad....

Oh I knew that Mary Jane is actually Pauletta.  She's mostly called Mary Jane on the show. 

And finally, Mama Shug.  Who in their right mind would tell their son in a public place that the man who he thought for 40+ years was his father--is not his father?  I thought that was so insensitive of her because that conversation should have been held in private.  I don't like her much anyway because I think she's a bad actress; she just seems to recite her lines without much emotion.  I was glad Patrick walked out on her, and really glad that he went to a meeting instead of succumbing to the temptation of drugs.  It must have been painful for Paul Sr. to have to tell his son the truth.  

Yeah, I see where MJ gets her poor decision making from. She was cold AF for doing that to him. And in such a cavalier way, "Paul will always be your father." She just imploded Patrick's world and didn't even bat an eye. It just goes to show you that you can give someone the world, but when they don't love you, it doesn't matter. Frank is a hot-ass mess, Paul adored Helen, raised her son as his own, gave her a beautiful home, and nursed her when she was sick, and what does he get in return? Helen sleeping with his friend. She deserved to be put out. 

I'm just, tired of Mary Jane. I'm counting down until this season is over. I'm also not mad at Lee's pilot. He isn't the first person to use a breakup as a creative outlet, so I'm fine with him getting his coins. 

• Love 2

Sorry about the name confusion.  Patrick and Paul...too many P names!

Frank still is the sperm donor though, Paul is the true father.  DNA does not a parent make.

The problem with MJ is that she just never learns.  Kara would have dropped MJ, had Kara's father not died.  

I just want that blonde chick off the show.  She's so basic and looks like every other blonde on Fox News, nothing special about her.

2 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

Frank is a hot-ass mess, Paul adored Helen, raised her son as his own, gave her a beautiful home, and nursed her when she was sick, and what does he get in return? Helen sleeping with his friend. She deserved to be put out. 

I'm pretty sure Paul is going to take Helen back at some point, but I really wish he wouldn't.  She is one cold-ass bitch and she needs to go be with her one twu wuv Frank.  I suspect he's got a woman back home somewhere and I 'd like to see Helen deal with that. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Ohwell said:

I'm pretty sure Paul is going to take Helen back at some point, but I really wish he wouldn't.  She is one cold-ass bitch and she needs to go be with her one twu wuv Frank.  I suspect he's got a woman back home somewhere and I 'd like to see Helen deal with that. 

I think you touched on a problem with this show, well not only with this show, but with life as well.  In real life, people do things and aren't called on it because no one wants to upset the apple cart, no one wants to be alone.

However,

2 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

Frank is a hot-ass mess, Paul adored Helen, raised her son as his own, gave her a beautiful home, and nursed her when she was sick, and what does he get in return? Helen sleeping with his friend. She deserved to be put out. 

I get Helen.  It would be nice if we all fell in love with the "right" people.  But in reality, sometimes the "wrong" people just turn us on.  I think Helen's problem was never acknowledging that fact.  She kept those feelings to herself.  How many people are just hot for the wrong people?  It helps to talk about it, because sometimes you can figure out just why "Mr or Ms Wrong" turns you on.  I think Frank turned her on because she never had to deal with real life with Frank.

My issue is that I think Richard Roundtree has ALWAYS been hotter than Fred Williamson, who, in his day, if I remember correctly, said some pretty sexist things about women. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I think Frank turned her on because she never had to deal with real life with Frank.

Exactly.

5 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

My issue is that I think Richard Roundtree has ALWAYS been hotter than Fred Williamson, who, in his day, if I remember correctly, said some pretty sexist things about women. 

I agree.  I'd take Richard Roundtree over Fred Williamson's ass any day.