Type keyword(s) to search

PODCAST S01.E12 Go Pirates!: Skull And Boneheads

• Start Topic

This reminds me that I  binge watched this show when I was recovering from a car accident with some head damage because I had completely forgotten that Lynn had been having Aaron stalked by PIs in Hollywood and leaking pictures to the tabloids.  Thing is, why did she kill herself?  I've been thinking it was because passive-aggressive Logan was changing the family dynamics by setting his dad up to donate to the soup kitchen and school fund, But I forgot about the attacks she is making on Aaron. So, is she doing the passive aggressive thing like Logan (I'm not going to leave but I'm going to dig dig dig at you) or does she figure he'll put his pants back on when it becomes public because of his image? Or does she plan on divorcing him, but the suicide happens really quickly, she has to give it some time to percolate in the public pot, right? Also, of course he's going to try to win in the divorce.

I'm not sure exactly why she kills herself, but I'm pretty sure Logan and Lynn have a lot in common in the way they deal with problems.

Aaron is straight up aggressive.

Logan blaming Veronica for breaking him up with Lilly so he wasn't able to protect her is also kind of passive aggressive, because its kind of a 'yes, I'm bullying her, but she made me' comment. But she's spying on him, so maybe they deserve each other. Bugging the stapler is completely inappropriate but it is also so what PI's do in this world.  But we approve of Veronica's chosen profession and it is morally ok as long as she's paid? she has already had that confrontation with Dad (with retribution in kind) about doing a background check on Rebecca, so she's a slow learner, even if she is smarter than Lamb. No, wait. Her problem was not doing the background check, it was telling her Dad. She did learn!

Lisa Rinni has the worst looking blown up lips. Why actually do people do that? wouldn't it make more sense just to plump them up a little instead of inflate them like balloons? Can they not tell how big they are going to get when the procedure is performed?

I love the interview in the car covered with tarp, because that doesn't look unusual at all, right? Are people supposed to assume it has termites?

5 hours ago, PreviouslyTV said:

Veronica Mars tangles with a secret society, and Aaron Echolls's extracurricular entanglements send Lynn to the brink, in our podcast on S01.E12, 'Clash Of The Tritons'!

View the full article

A lot happens in this episode, it seems longer and fuller than its length supports.

I assume Jake was a Triton.

Was Duncan ever mentioned in any sports and I forgot? Except bleacher jumping, I mean.

17 minutes ago, Affogato said:

A lot happens in this episode, it seems longer and fuller than its length supports.

I assume Jake was a Triton.

Was Duncan ever mentioned in any sports and I forgot? Except bleacher jumping, I mean.

I don't remember him being in sports. 

I don't think we ever hear about the Tritons again. Since it was modeled after Yale's security society (skull & bones), I'm pretty certain sports has very little to do with membership.  

This, I think, was when I started to really like Logan.  In his interview with Back Showkiller, we got a peek inside him, and I adored how he stood up to Aaron.  

For a show that was on a micro/UPN budget, I'm wondering how they got the money to do a helicopter shot (as well as shutting down a bridge to traffic).

the "Turn me into Costner" line hasn't aged well. 

Duncan....yawn.

The whole bit with the Fake ID....  

Lamb: "Veronica Mars is smarter than me."

Veronica: "Oh stop!"

Me:  Hahahahahahahahaha   

The delivery was great. 

• Love 2

Didn't Duncan play soccer? Later in the season, when there's a question about the timing of Lilly's murder, doesn't it come up that he was washing soccer clothes that night?

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, JennB said:

Didn't Duncan play soccer? Later in the season, when there's a question about the timing of Lilly's murder, doesn't it come up that he was washing soccer clothes that night?

You are right. 

47 minutes ago, MostlyC said:

I don't think we ever hear about the Tritons again. Since it was modeled after Yale's security society (skull & bones), I'm pretty certain sports has very little to do with membership.  

Jakes society in 3 was skull And bones,  maybe,

Spoiler

Although does skull and bones have that blackmail aspect? Sheesh!

this one rick says the members are who you'd expect, good at everything, sports, academics....why I wondered. 

• Love 3

Loved the podcast, as usual, but this was the first time I found myself disagreeing with a lot of the hosts' points. Not that it made me enjoy the ep. any less--I just found myself yelling at my iPhone a lot. 

RE: the things Veronica heard while eavesdropping and whether we should have known about them earlier: 

• Before the revelation in the Ms. James’s office, we had two glimpses that something  had gone on between Weevil and Lilly

--In the episode featuring Lily’s memorial, we saw a half-second glimpse of Weevil wiping away tears at the memorial dedication.

--And the “Lilly’s the name of my sista!” tattoo.

But those clues were very subtle, and I actually appreciated that their relationship wasn’t obvious until Weevil spelled it out in this episode.

• In terms of Logan's secrets, I liked having no prior knowledge about Veronica being a factor in the Logan-Lilly break-up prior to her murder. Or even that they had been broken up at all. I always thought Logan had been mean to Veronica simply because of her dad. “Your friend. My girlfriend. What’s wrong with you people?” So I enjoyed the a-ha moment when I learned that Logan partially blames Veronica for him not being around to protect Lilly from her killer.

…Although we should talk more after the season finale about whether that timeline makes any sense. Logan and Lilly were broken up for what, two weeks prior to her murder? And she was involved with Weevil during that time? Plus whatever else she had going on that could’ve contributed to her death? Busy girl.

• Duncan's mystery illness: I agree with Sarah and John that in hindsight, there's no way Veronica wouldn't have known about important aspects of Duncan's medical history. But I also remember that hearing about Duncan's secret illness made me start to consider him as a possible suspect. 
10 hours ago, Affogato said:

This reminds me that I  binge watched this show when I was recovering from a car accident with some head damage because I had completely forgotten that Lynn had been having Aaron stalked by PIs in Hollywood and leaking pictures to the tabloids.  Thing is, why did she kill herself?  I've been thinking it was because passive-aggressive Logan was changing the family dynamics by setting his dad up to donate to the soup kitchen and school fund, But I forgot about the attacks she is making on Aaron. So, is she doing the passive aggressive thing like Logan (I'm not going to leave but I'm going to dig dig dig at you) or does she figure he'll put his pants back on when it becomes public because of his image? Or does she plan on divorcing him, but the suicide happens really quickly, she has to give it some time to percolate in the public pot, right? Also, of course he's going to try to win in the divorce.

I'm not sure exactly why she kills herself, but I'm pretty sure Logan and Lynn have a lot in common in the way they deal with problems.

Aaron is straight up aggressive.

Logan blaming Veronica for breaking him up with Lilly so he wasn't able to protect her is also kind of passive aggressive, because its kind of a 'yes, I'm bullying her, but she made me' comment. But she's spying on him, so maybe they deserve each other. Bugging the stapler is completely inappropriate but it is also so what PI's do in this world.  But we approve of Veronica's chosen profession and it is morally ok as long as she's paid? she has already had that confrontation with Dad (with retribution in kind) about doing a background check on Rebecca, so she's a slow learner, even if she is smarter than Lamb. No, wait. Her problem was not doing the background check, it was telling her Dad. She did learn!

Lisa Rinni has the worst looking blown up lips. Why actually do people do that? wouldn't it make more sense just to plump them up a little instead of inflate them like balloons? Can they not tell how big they are going to get when the procedure is performed?

I love the interview in the car covered with tarp, because that doesn't look unusual at all, right? Are people supposed to assume it has termites?

Loved this week's visual aids.   In response to your post: 

• I never understood why Lynn went so quickly from wanting Aaron to hurt to deciding to hurt herself.  But I went with it. 

>The huge "SOAP" sign behind the Echolls' was hilarious. I'd never noticed it previously. 

• California is a community property state. I don't think Aaron would be able to leave Lynn with nothing, given his very public infidelity. Unless, of course they'd signed a prenup. But even then, she'd get child support if she still had custody of Logan. 
  • In terms of Veronica's spying, no I don't think it's morally right, but she was trying to get information that could help her solve Lilly's murder (at least, that's how I justified it in my head).
  • Lisa Rinna has said in interviews that she had a bad collagen job but didn't want to risk having another botched surgery. So she decided to just embrace her lips and go forth. 
  • Yeah, I also wondered why no one questioned Veronica's tarp-covered car. 
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, topanga said:

Loved the podcast, as usual, but this was the first time I found myself disagreeing with a lot of the hosts' points. Not that it made me enjoy the ep. any less--I just found myself yelling at my iPhone a lot. 

RE: the things Veronica heard while eavesdropping and whether we should have known about them earlier: 

• Before the revelation in the Ms. James’s office, we had two glimpses that something  had gone on between Weevil and Lilly

--In the episode featuring Lily’s memorial, we saw a half-second glimpse of Weevil wiping away tears at the memorial dedication.

--And the “Lilly’s the name of my sista!” tattoo.

But those clues were very subtle, and I actually appreciated that their relationship wasn’t obvious until Weevil spelled it out in this episode.

• In terms of Logan's secrets, I liked having no prior knowledge about Veronica being a factor in the Logan-Lilly break-up prior to her murder. Or even that they had been broken up at all. I always thought Logan had been mean to Veronica simply because of her dad. “Your friend. My girlfriend. What’s wrong with you people?” So I enjoyed the a-ha moment when I learned that Logan partially blames Veronica for him not being around to protect Lilly from her killer.

…Although we should talk more after the season finale about whether that timeline makes any sense. Logan and Lilly were broken up for what, two weeks prior to her murder? And she was involved with Weevil during that time? Plus whatever else she had going on that could’ve contributed to her death? Busy girl.

• Duncan's mystery illness: I agree with Sarah and John that in hindsight, there's no way Veronica wouldn't have known about important aspects of Duncan's medical history. But I also remember that hearing about Duncan's secret illness made me start to consider him as a possible suspect. 

I never was able to appreciate this as a mystery, I was spoiled when I saw it for the first time. Makes a difference  

Lilly was clearly smart, charismatic, a leader  why didn't her parents back her for president? Instead of Duncan who wasn't charismatic and had  periods of violence? Yeah the Kane's had to be crazy neurotic about hiding his illness. Was it The  narcissistic personality disorder? Surely not a disadvantage in politics? No, this is a very very convention pool of tar in general   Veronica  is swimming upstream from the fifties  

The thing I see most about Weevils l is that the relationship with Caitlin and Chardo must have really hit him and he must feel like a fool at times and at times in denial. 

Spoiler

And as the teacher predicted in a  couple of seasons Eli is the janitor at Logan's  college. Weevil is also fighting his way up from the fifties.   

• Love 1

Ok, I think this is where my impression of l/v turns off the interstate.

Logan passive aggressively has Aaron donate to soup kitchen, donate boots to school. Logan gets in Aaron's face protecting his mother when Aaron can't counter because in school. Pattern. Aaron then beats Logan in private. Pattern. Lynn drinks, Logan drinks. Lynn has Aaron followed, takes picture and leaks to press. Lynn doesn't confront him directly about abuse or infidelities. Passive aggressive. Also the Echolls  do not air their laundry in public! What Logan was taught, anyway  Lynn goes off to kill herself with a parting shot, she is doing it because of Logan and Aaron  

Lynn and Logan are two peas in a pod  at this point.

when Lilly died Logan little st his friends, he's mad at Veronica, she used to be his friend. he knows the bullying is abusive so he is passive aggressively justifying it to Rebecca. Her fault, if she hadn't done that Lilly would be alive! He is a sad and screwed up person, yes. 

Veronica takes it at face value  she always takes what he says at face value. She trusts him.  she is the opposite of passive aggressive. It softens their relationship, she forgives the bullying. She forgives him abandoning her during her hard times( mother left, dad lost job, etc)

Does he forgive her abandoning him? I don't think so  

Spoiler

He expects her to abandon him. Eventually sets her up, although there are some no blame occurrences that don't help)

Edited by Affogato
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, topanga said:

Loved this week's visual aids.   In response to your post: 

• I never understood why Lynn went so quickly from wanting Aaron to hurt to deciding to hurt herself.  But I went with it. 

>The huge "SOAP" sign behind the Echolls' was hilarious. I'd never noticed it previously. 

• California is a community property state. I don't think Aaron would be able to leave Lynn with nothing, given his very public infidelity. Unless, of course they'd signed a prenup. But even then, she'd get child support if she still had custody of Logan. 
  • In terms of Veronica's spying, no I don't think it's morally right, but she was trying to get information that could help her solve Lilly's murder (at least, that's how I justified it in my head).
  • Lisa Rinna has said in interviews that she had a bad collagen job but didn't want to risk having another botched surgery. So she decided to just embrace her lips and go forth. 
  • Yeah, I also wondered why no one questioned Veronica's tarp-covered car. 

Maybe she's killing herself to hurt Aaron. Partially. Explains it, anyway. 

Well good for her embracing the lips!

im not sure about the stalking because well in real life um

Thing is it is a huge deal to gIve the government the right to dig and reveal information. We allow this for good reasons. There are checks and balances. Random busybodies, though....it works in this instance because Lamb, I guess  

Im not sure about her or private investigators in this world in general. 

Im thinking about it anyway. 

Spoiler

Aren't there other plots that show an absence of law knowledge, not just that she wouldn't have been applying for a job at that point in the movie, but whether suicide victims relatives are awarded insurance claims in CA? So yes to helicopter shots and no to accuracy checks  

Edited by Affogato
9 hours ago, topanga said:

I don't think it was an issue having no prior knowledge of the Logan/Lilly break-up because

it ends up being expanded on more fully in a future episode - the one with Yolanda. So, this episode ended up being the start of finding out the history of that particular piece, rather than dumping everything we know about it in a few lines in a single episode. I liked that it was picked up and expanded on later on.

1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I don't think it was an issue having no prior knowledge of the Logan/Lilly break-up because

Hide contents

I agree completely. But Sarah casually mentioned that she wished she'd known something about this before since this was episode 12. 

On 8/26/2017 at 0:44 PM, topanga said:

I agree completely. But Sarah casually mentioned that she wished she'd known something about this before since this was episode 12. 

It has been mentioned that Logan wasn't a major character as the show started, only meant to be in one or two episodes, and I think it took them a while to figure out how to write him into the story as a bigger character.

One who is having a mostly one sided hugely romanticized in his head storyline. Veronica never learns the half of it, I expect. 

Veronica was a flawed character, she did a lot of NOT morally right things but Neptune and the noir universe of this show was not morally right by essence..she played the rules of this world in a way..it is the same thing in shows like Twin Peaks or even Breaking Bad..or movies like Chinatown..and well we could also talk about the real world but it is so much more insidious..most of the time.. haha..

And she could be called out about this type behaviour by her 'enemies' obviously but also sometimes by her close ones like Keith, Wallace or Weevil and Logan..which was one of the strength of this show.

Edited by pau
  • Love 3
On 8/31/2017 at 4:14 AM, pau said:

Veronica was a flawed character, she did a lot of NOT morally right things but Neptune and the noir universe of this show was not morally right by essence..she played the rules of this world in a way..it is the same thing in shows like Twin Peaks or even Breaking Bad..or movies like Chinatown..and well we could also talk about the real world but it is so much more insidious..most of the time.. haha..

And she could be called out about this type behaviour by her 'enemies' obviously but also sometimes by her close ones like Keith, Wallace or Weevil and Logan..which was one of the strength of this show.

I get it, it is fictional. Still so much of it is a system that is a set up for Veronica  if Jason dohring played the titular role would there be a problem? No just teenage Travis McGee here!

It is so unusual to find a show where all of the men in the show tell a young woman what is wrong about her behavior and how she should listen to them. Refreshing! Usually young women are allowed to take risks and learn from their mistakes and are praised for their willingness to act decisively, with assurance and agency and independence.

I wonder if there could be a hidden something hinted at in these exchanges? Is Veronica not the beneficiary of truly benevolent advice?

Cannot be!

oh the characters are different  Keith is the good patriarchy and lamb the bad . If Logan truly believed Veronica was as strong as a man he'd have to admit his mom could have taken him and left Aaron. I have no issues with Wallace, who is adorable 

i just rewatched the twin peaks pilot. Doc haywards response to Donna's running away to see James after curfew showed so much respect and trust. Damn. Keith was not the best dad on tv.?

Edited by Affogato
  • Love 1
On 03/09/2017 at 1:51 AM, Affogato said:

I get it, it is fictional. Still so much of it is a system that is a set up for Veronica  if Jason dohring played the titular role would there be a problem? No just teenage Travis McGee here!

It is so unusual to find a show where all of the men in the show tell a young woman what is wrong about her behavior and how she should listen to them. Refreshing! Usually young women are allowed to take risks and learn from their mistakes and are praised for their willingness to act decisively, with assurance and agency and independence.

I wonder if there could be a hidden something hinted at in these exchanges? Is Veronica not the beneficiary of truly benevolent advice?

Cannot be!

oh the characters are different  Keith is the good patriarchy and lamb the bad . If Logan truly believed Veronica was as strong as a man he'd have to admit his mom could have taken him and left Aaron. I have no issues with Wallace, who is adorable 

i just rewatched the twin peaks pilot. Doc haywards response to Donna's running away to see James after curfew showed so much respect and trust. Damn. Keith was not the best dad on tv.?

I don't understand majority of your posts and what are you getting into here..and you totally misinterpret my post..sigh.

It is not a question of gender for pete's sake..Veronica is treated by these guys as an equal, the fact she is a girl doesn't really matter (although fundamentally it matters because she is the voice for women, she showcase that women are equal to men and this show illustrate that), she is a young woman and she is on the same playing field as these guys..she is even maybe the captain..the leader..and THAT is REFRESHING !

Even Keith sometimes treats her too much like an equal whereas he is supposed to be the authority..yes, since he is her father and she is still a teenager and then a young woman in college..although maybe it was not always the best parenting, i liked that a lot..his daughter is so worthy to be treated as a equal for him..i can't help but liking that..ha.

And there is a difference with calling out someone when they go over the line and who call you out too (Veronica speaks her mind and rightfully !!) and telling a young woman what is wrong about her behaviour and how she should listen to them..The guys close to Veronica don't tell her how to behave and they are smart and aware enough to know she will do what she wants anyway..but they speak their mind about her behaviour like she is doing to them. They act with her like independent human beings who respect and have equal dynamic with agree and disagree with another human being, who happened to be a young smart independent woman.

Thankfully i did not watch the show you depict, otherwise as a young independent woman i will not connect at all with the writing material and these fictional characters..actually i would have been quite insulted by it tbh.

And by the way Veronica is allowed to take risks and learn from her mistakes and is praised for her wilingness to act decisively with assurance and agency and independence..it is the basic chore of this show.. and NO every young woman can't do that in real world AND fictional world and it is one of the reason why VM was so important to many viewers, to many young women (like myself) and was great television !

Edited by pau
  • Love 3

I always felt the Tritons should been connected to The Castle (the secret society revealed in the finale out to subvert the election), because the point of getting dirt on people young is that they'll be yours for life (theoretically, anyway) and it seems implausible that another secret society that involves many of the same people doing the same thing seems unlikely.

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:06 AM, Affogato said:

Although we should talk more after the season finale about whether that timeline makes any sense. Logan and Lilly were broken up for what, two weeks prior to her murder? And she was involved with Weevil during that time? Plus whatever else she had going on that could’ve contributed to her death? Busy girl.

I got the impression that Lilly was two timing Logan with Weevil while they were dating (she must have had excellent time management skills!). Furthermore:

Spoiler

I don't think she'd been seeing Aaron long, or she'd probably be more aware of his psychotic tendencies.

I do like the idea that Logan might blame Veronica for leaving Lilly "defenceless" when she was murdered. Totally unfair to expect a five foot tall, hundred pound girl to protect Lilly, but it is believable.

• Love 1
On 9/3/2017 at 8:46 AM, pau said:

I don't understand majority of your posts and what are you getting into here..and you totally misinterpret my post..sigh.

It is not a question of gender for pete's sake..Veronica is treated by these guys as an equal, the fact she is a girl doesn't really matter (although fundamentally it matters because she is the voice for women, she showcase that women are equal to men and this show illustrate that), she is a young woman and she is on the same playing field as these guys..she is even maybe the captain..the leader..and THAT is REFRESHING !

Even Keith sometimes treats her too much like an equal whereas he is supposed to be the authority..yes, since he is her father and she is still a teenager and then a young woman in college..although maybe it was not always the best parenting, i liked that a lot..his daughter is so worthy to be treated as a equal for him..i can't help but liking that..ha.

And there is a difference with calling out someone when they go over the line and who call you out too (Veronica speaks her mind and rightfully !!) and telling a young woman what is wrong about her behaviour and how she should listen to them..The guys close to Veronica don't tell her how to behave and they are smart and aware enough to know she will do what she wants anyway..but they speak their mind about her behaviour like she is doing to them. They act with her like independent human beings who respect and have equal dynamic with agree and disagree with another human being, who happened to be a young smart independent woman.

Thankfully i did not watch the show you depict, otherwise as a young independent woman i will not connect at all with the writing material and these fictional characters..actually i would have been quite insulted by it tbh.

And by the way Veronica is allowed to take risks and learn from her mistakes and is praised for her wilingness to act decisively with assurance and agency and independence..it is the basic chore of this show.. and NO every young woman can't do that in real world AND fictional world and it is one of the reason why VM was so important to many viewers, to many young women (like myself) and was great television !

The really interesting thing about the show, in my opinion, is that Veronica is not only a young woman but a young women with the traits we usually associate with men. I am pretty sure this is deliberate and oddly, some of these traits are associated with men in other countries. In Japan men treat failure as a final (hence the suicide rate when they fail school) and when women fail they treat it as a loss, but not a defeat. In the US, the opposite. (Think of young men trained in football leagues). Veronica is like her father, so we can see the comparison. Logan has many of the characteristics we associate with women and he is, for comparisons sake, like his mother.

I'm not saying that the show is only about gender, but I think it is one of the interesting twists that makes the show more compelling than many other teenage dramas. Also, almost bizarrely, it makes it a lot like Nancy Drew, who started out in the forties as being aggressively masculine (shootin/drivin/solving mysteries actively without a group) and has ended up being made more feminine as she is rewritten, to make her more palatable. (also something of a racist, but lets not go there, that probably needed to be cut out). We live in a world where women can be a lot of things, theoretically, as long as they do it in a convincingly feminine manner. Ask Hillary Rodham Clinton.

• Love 1

After watching this episode, I assumed Lynn's suicide was faked - she could be free of him, but he would always have to wonder if she was out there somewhere (I'm sure it wouldn't stop Aaron screwing around, but he wouldn't be able to remarry for however long it takes to declare somebody dead without a body).

Spoiler

Given that she never appears again, I guess she really DID kill herself, but that was my initial thought on seeing it.

• Love 1
On 9/26/2017 at 5:29 PM, John Potts said:

After watching this episode, I assumed Lynn's suicide was faked - she could be free of him, but he would always have to wonder if she was out there somewhere (I'm sure it wouldn't stop Aaron screwing around, but he wouldn't be able to remarry for however long it takes to declare somebody dead without a body).

Reveal hidden contents

Given that she never appears again, I guess she really DID kill herself, but that was my initial thought on seeing it.

That was apparently what thomas was going for, that she might not be actually dead. It would have provided a good arc for Logan in the fourth or fifth season, if he was not with Veronica ( which I think was the intention).