Type keyword(s) to search

The Hitman's Bodyguard (2017)

Silver Raven
  • Start Topic

I really enjoyed this movie.  The chemistry between Jackson and Reynolds was perfect.  There really has to be a sequel, please?

Joaquim Almeida needs to quit playing bad guys, because as soon as you see him, you know he's going to be a bad guy.

Atli Orvarsson needs a shoutout.  He's such a prolific composer, and he never gets decent credit.  He wrote "Nobody Gets Out Alive" that Jackson sang over the ending credits.

And I loved the chase scenes.  They were great.

With Salma Hayek as Jackson's wife, I wish they had used a name actress as Reynold's girlfriend, but that's a nitpick.

Edited by Silver Raven
  • Love 1

I would watch this movie again just for the Salma Hayek bar fight scene, and Jackson's expressions.

I liked the subtle references to the good guys and the bad guys do the same thing, people (heroes and villains) being indestructible, and there always being a spy on the inside.  They poked fun at the clichés without going overboard.

I also really liked the shoutout to Deadpool with Jackson's constant yakking and Reynolds complaining about it.

However, my favorite scene was idiot villain telling Jackson there was no such thing as redemption, Jackson laughing and telling him he didn't care about redemption he was pissed that the villain shot his bodyguard.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

I wish they had used a name actress as Reynold's girlfriend, but that's a nitpick.

Apparently, you're not a Marvel-Netflix fan, because she's pretty prominent on a couple of those shows.

A fun trifle, but there were a couple jarring tonal shifts: When Darius' father got killed and when Dukhovich killed that Professor's family.

• Love 1

This was a fun action movie spoof.  The best parts were with them snarking at each other, and Salma just taking the verbal gloves.

Did anyone catch the Taken reference at Darius' flashback sequence with Salma: "Some dude took the wrong dude's daughter."  LOL.  Oh, if Liam Neeson had made a cameo...

On 8/19/2017 at 9:09 PM, AimingforYoko said:

A fun trifle, but there were a couple jarring tonal shifts: When Darius' father got killed and when Dukhovich killed that Professor's family.

Yeah, was not expecting anything that brutal.

It was what it was.  I doubt I'll remember much about it going forward, but it was decent enough entertainment when I was watching it.  Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson were fun together, even if they were pretty much coasting on their usual schick (granted, that could be said for almost every Samuel L. Jackson performance for the past ten years almost.)  

The supporting cast was surprisingly stacked, even though they were mainly wasted.  Gary Oldman probably filmed all of his stuff in a week and Richard E. Grant must have just been passing by and they grabbed him for a glorified cameo.  Salma Hayek was fun devouring the scenery and being almost just a foul-mouthed as Jackson.  Meanwhile, like with Gods of Egypt, Elodie Yung seemed to be under the impression she was actually suppose to "act" in this, and gave a performance that was good, but it was kind of strange since it seemed not to mesh with everyone else.  Although, she certainly gets points for pretending that Joaquim de Almeida would have a shot at taking her on in a fight.  Love him, but in real life, she'd probably put him down after one punch.

Decent action and car chases.  I really liked the moments when the film just gave up on any kind of realism and practically turned it into a vilent cartoon.  The bar scenes where Darius met Sonia felt like a live action Looney Tunes scene done by Quentin Tarantino. 

On 8/19/2017 at 6:22 PM, Silver Raven said:

Joaquim Almeida needs to quit playing bad guys, because as soon as you see him, you know he's going to be a bad guy.

I just realized I thought that was Geoffrey Rush the whole time! At any rate, him constantly getting handsy with Agent Roussel was both a too-obvious early sign he was corrupt and struck me as fairly unlikely to not have been nipped in the bud painfully the first time it happened to someone as supposedly strong and badass as Agent Roussell.

I think they'd have been better off to just drop the romance plot for her and Reynolds' characters as a going concern. It worked well enough as past history to explain why she'd call him in once Interpol was revealed to be compromised, but all Reynolds' mooning over her needlessly bogged down the story. (Jackson and Hayek's love story was one of the film's highlights, though!)

Was there any particular reason someone from Interpol couldn't just inform the judge that the star witness was on his way to the court but being shot at by legions of armed thugs who'd invaded The Hague? The 5:00 deadline business was just idiotic.

• Love 1

So I saw the movie and it was okay.  Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L Jackson were great together but the plot itself was silly but not in a good way (way to serious for such a silly movie).  So much public destruction but no real response to it.  I also did not care for the "will they make it to the court on time" when hey, they're going through security maybe someone should let the judge know (and it didn't really have to be a hard deadline any how, she's the judge).  Selma Hayek was also wasted in this.  Her scenes were great but so few.  From the name of the sequel it sounds like she might be more involved which would be great. 

So overall I actually liked the movie so I hope they manage to improve on these issues for the sequel. 

• Love 1