Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Internet

Drogo

I can't remember if you could attach files to email in 1997. I just knew that when the dude told his mom to copy and paste that disaster was bound to follow.  "Media Mail" really brought me back in time! ;-)

• Love 2

I was irrationally bothered by all the inaccuracies from the time period. Cell phones weren't that small yet (people still had corded "bag phones" in their cars very few years earlier). Even cordless home phones were barely that small. Very, very few people had laptops in 1997. I graduated college in 1997, and was still using an actual word processor (electronic typewriter with mini LCD screen) to write my papers. My dorm in 1993-1994 had a computer lab, but it had only boxy Macs. The internet was still in its infancy when I graduated.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2

I was irrationally bothered by all the inaccuracies from the time period

Yes. Not sure why it specifically needed to be the year 1997, as it didn't seem particularly relevant to the story. The technology was more reminiscent of 2000/2001 than 1997.

• Love 1

I graduated college in 1997, and was still using an actual word processor (electronic typewriter with mini LCD screen) to write my papers. 

For what it's worth, I graduated from college in 1998 and had a laptop I shared with my sister (who was two years ahead of me). My sister did have a word processor her first two years though!

By the way, I thought this Vulture interview with the actor, Karan Soni, was very interesting. Apparently he and his "mom" were cast very last minute (i.e., the day before filming started). Also, the script didn't call for the characters to be Indian (some of the more culturally specific dialogue was improvised).

On 8/27/2017 at 1:38 AM, bilgistic said:

I was irrationally bothered by all the inaccuracies from the time period. Cell phones weren't that small yet (people still had corded "bag phones" in their cars very few years earlier). Even cordless home phones were barely that small. Very, very few people had laptops in 1997. I graduated college in 1997, and was still using an actual word processor (electronic typewriter with mini LCD screen) to write my papers. My dorm in 1993-1994 had a computer lab, but it had only boxy Macs. The internet was still in its infancy when I graduated.

Sorry, disagree. My cell phone in 1996 was about that big. I would not talk on my cell that long, though. Cell plans were expensive back then. I would use the hotel phone instead. Laptops were already quite common in 1997. I bought a laptop from Gateway 2000 (remember them?) in March 1997 through phone, not online, for $3000. That laptop was already loaded with Win 95 and MS Office. I do agree with the internet, though. I do not remember sending files back then (using Eudora). And besides, the mother would need to dial the internet up, she would not be able to do so while talking to her son.

Edited by TV Anonymous
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I absolutely hated this episode.  I had terrible anxiety the entire time. What a nightmare. I thought that it was going to end with him in the present day as a telemarketer, forever having to deal with people like his mother. 

• Love 4