Type keyword(s) to search

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey in the Media

(edited)

Saw that clip a while ago.  It's pretty good.  I think Dr. Tyson would get a chuckle out of it.

Just in time for the finale, TeeFury offers up 2 designs for today only.  And the Irregular Webcomic expands on polarization because of Cosmos.

Edited by SVNBob

Cosmos has been nominated for the Teen Choice awards -- for Choice Reality TV show.  WTF ?

Putting Cosmo any where near the same category mind-numbing awfulness as Dance Moms and the oh-so-horrible and completely useless Kardashians is just plain insulting.  

I'd rather they just left Cosmos out completely.

Cosmos wins Critics' Choice Awards! 

Best Reality Series: Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

Best Reality Host: Neil DeGrasse Tyson, "Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey"

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/critics-choice-tv-awards-2014-winners-and-highlights/

Thanks Boston Gal! Funnee!

• Love 2

Cosmos Emmy nominations:

Outstanding Documentary Or Nonfiction Series

Outstanding Writing for Nonfiction Programming

Outstanding Direction for Nonfiction Programming

Outstanding Art Direction for Variety, Nonfiction, Reality or Reality Competition Program

Outstanding Cinematography for Nonfiction Programming

Outstanding Picture Editing for Nonfiction Programming

Outstanding Main Title Design

Outstanding Musical Composition for a Series (Original Dramatic Score)

Outstanding Original Main Title Theme Music

Outstanding Sound Editing for Nonfiction Programming (Single or Multi-Camera)

Outstanding Sound Mixing for Nonfiction Programming and

Outstanding Special and Visual Effects.

Go Science!

• Love 2
11 hours ago, SVNBob said:

I'm excited by that.  The last one did make me a bit sad, comparing it to the original and realizing how dumbed down we assume society's baseline of and capacity for scientific knowledge is now versus then, but I enjoyed it.  And I'm for anything that puts Neil deGrasse Tyson on my screen.

I am reading all this news about the allegations going ohshitohshitohshit. 

Because I don’t want to believe any of this. But I have seen so many of my beloved childhood celebrities turn out to be evil. Rolf Harris, for crying out loud. So. But then again, deGrasse Tyson has definitely pissed off a lot of powerful people.

Also because this is almost certainly going to kill the show forever, set science education back decades and destroy all the advocacy that deGrasse Tyson has done against climate change, even if it turns out to be a load of crap. 

So yeah. Devastated, really.

On 12/1/2018 at 1:16 PM, Lebanna said:

I am reading all this news about the allegations going ohshitohshitohshit. 

Because I don’t want to believe any of this. But I have seen so many of my beloved childhood celebrities turn out to be evil. Rolf Harris, for crying out loud. So. But then again, deGrasse Tyson has definitely pissed off a lot of powerful people.

Also because this is almost certainly going to kill the show forever, set science education back decades and destroy all the advocacy that deGrasse Tyson has done against climate change, even if it turns out to be a load of crap. 

So yeah. Devastated, really.

He has responded to the allegations -- https://slate.com/technology/2018/12/neil-degrasse-tyson-sexual-harassment-allegations-response.html

From the Slate article:  "Take an incident with a fellow physicist and a fan, Katelyn Allers. At a meeting in 2009, when the two posed for a photo, Tyson allegedly touched Allers’s skin, which was tattooed with the solar system. Though he says that he doesn’t recall the exact event, Tyson surmises that the account, in factuality, is reasonable. (As the New York Times notes, Tyson didn’t name names in his post, but it’s easy to match up the details of each event.) There is actually a photo of Tyson grasping Allers’ arm. Allers says that he reached under her dress to trace her tattoo and that it made her uncomfortable.

Tyson takes issue with that framing. “This was simply a search under the covered part of her shoulder of the sleeveless dress,” writes Tyson. He was just looking for Pluto. Everyone knows how he feels about Pluto! He simply cannot resist the pull of cosmic artistry in general, “but going forward, I can surely be more sensitive to people’s personal space,” he writes. (This is as close as Tyson gets to learning a lesson.)"

Read the whole article.  It paints Tyson as a bumbling nerd, but not as a predator.

• Love 1
On 12/3/2018 at 10:28 PM, j5cochran said:

Read the whole article.  It paints Tyson as a bumbling nerd, but not as a predator.

Speaking as someone that went to high school and had classes with Neil Tyson, he's anything BUT a "bumbling nerd".  Our science based high school abounded with them, but he was most definitely not one (i.e., he headed up the wrestling team).  Not that this necessarily makes him a predator either.  I have my own opinions on these allegations but I'm keeping them to myself for now.