Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Control

When a patient from a distant town journeys to SAM for surgery, Scott (Scott Wolf) commits to helping her against all odds. Jordan (Jill Flint) and Cain (Mark Consuelos) help a wounded veteran come to terms with a diagnosis he doesn't believe he has. Meanwhile, Drew (Brendan Fehr) struggles with the exhaustion of being a working parent and finds support from an unusual patient. After a long night, Kenny (JR Lemon) learns life is too short to worry about trivial matters. TC (Eoin Macken) joins a daring rescue mission in Syria. 

Promo:

Would appreciate some feedback: it's all well and good for the girl that they got her heart started again, but what about her brain?  Would there be any real brain activity after being clinically dead for that long?  I was cleaning during the show and don't know if I missed the part when they mentioned that.

• Love 1
(edited)

There was a statement at the end where her grandfather was told that she should be totally fine, but it was unrealistic for her to have recovered with no neurological issues.  When she had been 'down' for over 30 minutes and everyone was looking at Scott (?) to see what he would do and he seemed to waiver for a moment, I actually thought that the girl would die (which would be a change from the usual last minute miracle save).  That would have been better in my opinion.  But then we wouldn't have had the whole big speech from Scott at the end.  I did like the whole idea that even though the grandfather believed that his granddaughter was now excluded from entering heaven (or however he phrased it), she seemed okay with getting a transfusion and just being 'normal' in this life.  

I have nothing against TC (or the actor who plays him), but I really don't care about the whole Syria plotline.  I want to FF every time they switch to that location.  (I don't, because I hate to skip through shows, but I get impatient for them to go back to San Antonio.)

Edited by BooksRule

They put her on ECMO and heart bypass, which would have kept her blood oxygenated and circulating even without active CPR.  Usually, you code someone for at least 30 minutes, and often with young and healthy patients, you go a lot longer.  So, the end result was extremely unlikely, but not actually impossible.

I feel like whoever makes ECMOs is doing product placement on all these medical shows, because it's shown up on on Chicago Med and Code Black as well.  They're more common and smaller now, and the idea is cool, but I worry about it making the public think it's more effective than it actually is.  The same thing happens with CPR; it works, but a lot more infrequently than TV makes you think, and it's much more violent.

I...liked this episode?  A lot.  I mean, the actor reaching out to Drew's mom was actually rather touching, as was Kenny with the grandfather, even if Kenny might not consider himself a Christian any more (that was the impression that I got), and I really like Jordan's interactions with Mac.  All that, AND a Ragosa namecheck.  If the episode had also included TC being beaten by the Special Forces guys anyway, it would have been the greatest episode this show's ever had.

Of course Amira has a drug problem.  Because god forbid someone who's willing to call TC on his crap not be a fairly normal person.

• Love 3

They name-dropped Ragosa!  That was something I never would have predicted.

For a second, I thought they were going to reveal the reason why Scott was going all out was because of Annie and he was desperate to save a life after hearing about her suicide, but I'm guessing no one knows about that yet.  So, instead, I'm guessing this is going to lift Scott up and make him regain his confidence, only for it to all come crashing down after he does find out about Annie.

Good to see John Cochran, even if he was playing a over-religious dick.

This Arthur guy using Drew's phone to ask his mother for help was a major violation of personal space to say the least, but I did laugh at Drew's face when he asked for a ride home.  Brendan Fehr does good reaction shots.

Still bored with Kenny's beef with Diaz, which is seeming more and more one-sided by the minute.

Actually glad Mac might be sticking around some more.  Really like the actor.  And Jordan's actually better with him then some of the regulars.

Oh, yeah, can't forget about T.C. off in Syria being his normal self.  Of course, there aren't any long-term consequences from his actions last week, as he is able to save everyone.  Sigh...

(edited)

I didn't understand why the girl didn't become an emancipated minor.  If ever there was a reason for a judge to agree....

I felt sorry for the actor guy who had to take a job that required faking being sick to support his family.  You could tell that he didn't enjoy the lying.  It was sweet that he wanted Drew to be in contact with his mother.  Yes, it was wrong, but it was still a sweet moment.

Scott's speech about feeling inadequate because he's not military was a good moment.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3
On 7/14/2017 at 5:05 AM, BooksRule said:

I have nothing against TC (or the actor who plays him), but I really don't care about the whole Syria plotline.  I want to FF every time they switch to that location.  (I don't, because I hate to skip through shows, but I get impatient for them to go back to San Antonio.)

I push the 30sec SkipFwd button every time I see desert and don't stop until we're back at the hospital. Works for me. I never liked TC when he WAS part of the main story. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, LekoBoy said:

I push the 30sec SkipFwd button every time I see desert and don't stop until we're back at the hospital. Works for me. I never liked TC when he WAS part of the main story. 

Yeah, me too. 

That poor girl. She had to suffer with a treatable condition due to her grandfather's religious fanaticism.

So white knight TC ignores what the people who know Syria say to him lies.. Gets the Arab guy ambushed then gets the blk guy shot but all is forgiven and he gets no repercussions except a playful ribbing from the Indian lady.. Ugh and next week more of Dances with brown ppl starring the greatest doctor ever... Smh

• Love 3

UGH this show!!  I FF through all of the Syria/TC scenes.  I still don't know why he's there and why it and him are still part of the show.  I'm assuming Diaz suffers from sort of PTSD, thus his carving hobby.  I thought it was a stretch that the tumor patient came back to life after being dead for 61 mins.  But, then she's totally fine?  No neurological problems?  Not even a throw away line of further testing on her brain, etc? Nope, she came back to life after an hour, woke up like she just had her tonsils out, and everyone lived happily ever after.  LAME!  I thought it was dumb that they needed "all hands on deck" to help Dr Scott, but Jordan spent almost the entire episode shooting the breeze with Mac.  Then Drew comes in to help and mentions some other drug(?) to try and then immediately leaves.  Seriously?  I know he was exhausted from taking care of a 13 year old girl (major eye roll).  

On 7/15/2017 at 11:39 AM, statsgirl said:

I felt sorry for the actor guy who had to take a job that required faking being sick to support his family.  You could tell that he didn't enjoy the lying.  It was sweet that he wanted Drew to be in contact with his mother.  Yes, it was wrong, but it was still a sweet moment.

Is that really a thing?  Hiring people to PRETEND they're sick  and taking doctors and nurses away from real sick and injured patients just to evaluate the customer service in an ER?  Every hospital that I have been in (either as a patient or the parent of a patient), they ask the patient (or guardian) to fill out a quick 5-10 question survey.