Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Gwen or Lose / S03.04: Paging Doctor Yes Please

Mark coaches a women’s basketball team and Emma is horrified when she realizes who his star player is. Maggie takes reffing very seriously.

Maggie is invited to act in a nursing promo video and Emma gets involved. Zach teaches Bruce how to ride a bike.

Maggie's "Gross" when Mark told Emma he'd join her in the showers was perfectly delivered.

I also liked Maggie and Mark pointing out all the ways in which Emma's "You have basketballs up your butt and can't see what's happening" statement was absurd.

Mark's attempts to get thrown out of the game, and his reaction when he inadvertently made Maggie cry, were great, too.  Very cute moment between Maggie and Bruce after that, despite the blindingly awful clothing.

I love the end of the game, that looks like every feel-good sports movie but is the opposite, concluding with the last-second slow-mo shot that comes nowhere near the basket. 

I adore Mark; I don't remember the last time I liked a TV character's boyfriend this much.  I'm not sure I ever did.

I loved episode three, and four was good, too, except for Maggie being so catty about a woman she knows nothing about.  That was stereotypical crap and annoying, but the rest was the show I love.

Carbo-loading to teach a bike safety class.  Yay - the brother is back!  I love him, and I love him and Bruce together.

"Melon on, melon off."

I wouldn't have thought I'd like this potential romance between Maggie and the doctor, but I should know to give this show more credit; I like the way he's being written.

My heart sank when he mentioned the breast exam, making me remember the cancer is being worked into the show and realizing it's already going to happen.  Their faces when they got the news, and knowing they went through it for real -- very moving.  "Cancer has picked the wrong duo to mess with."

I've been a bit lax about my self exams lately, which is particularly bad since my mom is in remission from metastatic breast cancer and I've had three benign lumps myself, so thank you to this show and Jessica's PSA for making me give myself an overdue exam during the final commercial break.  (Everything feels normal.)

• Love 5
(edited)

Yeah, Maggie and Dr. Popsicle have a nice rapport. He has a genteel sweetness to him, and I like them together. Although, if Emma truly wants to ensure the two of them together, she should destroy Maggie's backup Bocephus hat, because I cannot see him being down with that persona. (And I really hope Bocephus doesn't make an appearance this season. I hate him as much as Emma does.)

The scene where Emma and Maggie were told that it's cancer was well done, and hard for me to watch knowing that Jessica went through it in real life. I know many artists like to process their real life in their work and that Jessica is one of them, but I still wonder how it felt for her to shoot it. Even though she and Lennon aren't credited with writing this episode (they are credited with writing the next one), I'm sure they had considerable input into the final few scenes, Jessica especially.

But I digress - back to the scene itself. I liked that Maggie knew as soon as Dr. Popsicle came through the door and exchanged looks with her. I liked that when Maggie put her hand on Emma's arm, Emma didn't seem even to know it because she was having such an out-of-body reaction to the diagnosis, and so the gesture slowly turned more into Maggie needing to feel Emma than the reverse.

I also loved that at the end, Emma's major concern was being there for Charlotte. So sweet.

Minor nit about a different storyline - the director of the video Maggie and Dr. Popsicle were shooting mentioned getting a Duster for a Costco spot. But, Costco famously doesn't do TV advertising, or even advertising in general. All it really does is direct mail to existing members.

Edited by Black Knight
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

(Everything feels normal.)

Yay!!! Self-exams are important, ladies! Know your boobs. (I wrote this before I saw the PSA, honestly.)

The cancer stuff is gutting, but I'm really glad the show is working it in. You can be diagnosed and it's not an automatic death sentence.

3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

The cancer stuff is gutting, but I'm really glad the show is working it in. You can be diagnosed and it's not an automatic death sentence.

I also like that they have her as someone with lumpy breasts.  Younger, with denser breast tissue, that's just how they were and it was fine.  That doesn't mean she can, at this age, dismiss lumpiness as "yeah, I'm like that."  It's a good reminder that you need a baseline (a mammogram at some point, but also just a "this is how my breasts feel" before and in between) to look for changes. 

• Love 3

The clunky product integration segments always amuse me.  Who knew the Rav4 was spacious AND had a rear-view camera that was convenient and easy to use?  I'm not complaining.  They're not as egregious as Modern Family, which has entire episodes devoted to selling Apple or Toyota.

• Love 2

Yay! I've been waiting for other people to comment because I binge watched the whole thing On Demand because I was so excited. I had no idea about Jessica's breast cancer diagnosis so I wasn't expecting this at all and it broke my heart.  I love that they're doing it. My boss was just diagnosed (literally 3 months before her retirement). 

15 hours ago, Thrifty said:

The clunky product integration segments always amuse me.  Who knew the Rav4 was spacious AND had a rear-view camera that was convenient and easy to use?  I'm not complaining.  They're not as egregious as Modern Family, which has entire episodes devoted to selling Apple or Toyota.

Yeah, I'm just so relieved that this show even gets product placement. I mean, look at this season - USA has it on the graveyard night of Friday AND dumped the entire season online right after the first night. So traditional advertising revenue is nil, and product placement is basically all that's keeping this show afloat.

• Love 4

And as obvious and thus distracting as it is, they manage to do the product placement in a less-annoying way than I've seen elsewhere.  Or maybe it's just that I like the show better.  But I watched Rizzoli & Isles, even though it had some issues, because I loved the friendship between the main characters (I am so starved for realistic depictions of female friendships on television, I'll put up with a lot).  That show also had a habit of blatant product placement, specifically in the form of two characters randomly discussing the virtues of a certain item or one pitching it to the other, but it bugged me more on that show than it does on this one. 

My unpopular opinion is that I don't like that this show 'went there' with the breast cancer stuff.  This show is my happy place and I just don't want that kind of serious drama in my comedies. (I am very glad that Jessica is recovered though, and of course it is her show and her right to include things that are important to her.   Obviously, a lot of viewers appreciate it too... I'm just not one of them.)

Can anyone who has watched the rest of the series let me know if this storyline continues throughout the rest of the season, or if it's resolved quickly?   I would love to know if I can just skip one or two episodes and enjoy the rest of the season.  If somebody knows and can let me know, could you just spoiler-cap it below?  Thanks!

I was really liking the new doctor with Maggie.

23 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Yeah, I'm just so relieved that this show even gets product placement. I mean, look at this season - USA has it on the graveyard night of Friday AND dumped the entire season online right after the first night. So traditional advertising revenue is nil, and product placement is basically all that's keeping this show afloat.

I Watched it it On Demand and the commercials were lengthy promos for movies that are no longer in the theatre, primarily "The Mummy" and "The Great Wall".  Makes no sense. LOTS of "The Mummy" commercials.

• Love 1