Type keyword(s) to search

Vintage Flipp - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I really didn't like what they did with the Craftsman in Thursday's episode.  Fixing the entry/porch was fine.  But painting over the wood trim -- and painting it black?  I didn't like the staging either.  Funky and Craftsman don't go together. 

And the woman's nasal voice grates. 

Other than that, I like seeing the process, watching them work, and learning how much it cost. 

• Love 1

I am not a huge fan of the show. The focus on flipping means that they make too many modern changes that I just don't like. Those dark floors in the craftsman were explicitly to make it more "modern," and I hated it. I grew up in a 1930s craftsman and rented a kit house from the same era for several years. Both had much more natural stains on the wood floors.  I also hated what they did to the clawfoot tub they found. Also, if going with linoleum  (didn't realize that it was in use in the 19th century), I wish they would have used the floral print, like the house originally had. Their "pattern" reminded me of a cheap double wide trailer, like the ones my family lived in back in the 1970s. 

Unlike in Restored, where the focus is on actual restoration, and Brett will argue and cajole the homeowner to stay with restoration, this show is about appealing to buyers who don't fully appreciate the history of the homes. 

They both overact. He really bugs me in that regard. 

• Love 3

We saw this today. Watched three episodes in a row. Hated the way they trashed a beautiful fireplace and replaced it with modern reproductions.

I don't really see the point of a show if they are not showing the work. This might as well be Flip or Flop.

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, Willowsmom said:

We saw this today. Watched three episodes in a row. Hated the way they trashed a beautiful fireplace and replaced it with modern reproductions.

I don't really see the point of a show if they are not showing the work. This might as well be Flip or Flop.

This kinda is supposed to be like flip or flop its made may be the same people. I like it though in spite of that, I'm more interested in the design.I love thier style and how much colour they include. I like that they go into the history of the neighborhoods and architecture, too.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/3/2017 at 1:00 AM, Emily Thrace said:

This kinda is supposed to be like flip or flop its made may be the same people. I like it though in spite of that, I'm more interested in the design.I love thier style and how much colour they include. I like that they go into the history of the neighborhoods and architecture, too.

The couple has been on an older episode of Flip or Flop too - they teamed with T & A on a vintage flip.

I suspect it was a backdoor-pilot for Vintage Flip

Wife's  vocal fry voice grates as well

Edited by sheetmoss
On 7/2/2017 at 9:48 PM, Willowsmom said:

This is along my way of thinking. This show is a pale comparison to Restored. It might as well be any other flipping show, except they are actually ruining historic homes. That angers me. 

• Love 2

Watched 2 episodes of Vintage Flip last night.  One was a mid-century and the other was a Spanish style.  I like this show because they try to use something original from their houses and they also incorporate some color rather than using only gray and white.  The Spanish redo had some very pretty tile work and although I'm not a fan of the color blue, the shade of blue that they used on the kitchen cabinets was very pretty.  I thought they did a nice job on the mid-century house as well, both on the outside and the interior.  The accordian doors they removed between the family room and kitchen were original because that was a design element in the 60's to give the option of creating 2 rooms in a large space.  Sort of sorry to see them removed, but they probably would never be used with today's style of living.

• Love 1

This is my second favorite of the flippy/remodel shows. I like that they remain true to the era for the most part, but do some updates. It seems like most home buyers like the idea of historic homes but not so much the reality, so their designs are a nice middle. I loved the Eichler house from last night.

There is a supposed Eichler for sale in my town and I'm trying to figure out how or if it was changed. It has a courtyard-y entrance.. but doesn't seem to have had an atrium.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Salinas/1244-San-Marcos-Dr-93901/home/14922807

Restored of course is the best of all the flippy/remodel shows.

• Love 3
(edited)

I have a difficult time considering mid-century as "vintage". To me, it's just the ugly style of houses that were slightly out-of-date when I was growing up in the 1970s. Blocky. Bland. The slide towards pre-fab and tract homes based upon models. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 2
(edited)

Vintage is supposedly anything 20 years and older, 60 years seems to fit the bill. Only 40 more and it's considered an antique.

@azshadowwalker Have you ever check out the blog Old House Dreams?

Edited by Megan

Megan, not all Eichler houses had an atrium, but courtyards seem to always be there.  With the front entry doors closed that area becomes an atrium I think.  I looked at the pictures and this poor house had been remodeled in every decade since it was built from the looks of it.  The kitchen has 80's cabinets, and the most recent bathroom update looks like the "must have granite" somewhere quest.  This house needs some TLC and a buyer who will return it to what it was supposed to be.  I'm going to sound like a whiny HH with my "where's the backyard" comment.  I have a lot of trouble wrapping my head around housing prices in California.  This house might go for maybe the high $200,000's here in Baton Rouge in a good neighborhood, and it would be billed as a fixer upper.  I like the courtyard and think that adding a pergola in the style of the house would create some needed shade in the entry.  Thanks for sharing this link.  

(edited)
4 hours ago, laredhead said:

.  This house needs some TLC and a buyer who will return it to what it was supposed to be.  I'm going to sound like a whiny HH with my "where's the backyard" comment.

Unfortunately in this area the Property Bros/Fixer Upper style reigns supreme so I doubt anything will be restored. The backyard situation is definitely bad. I had thought that neighborhood had better sized backyards so I was surprised to see it.

One thing I dont love about this show is that they tend towards the gimmicky costumey, set design-y instead of the more straight forward period.

And California prices are nuts. My house has doubled in the 7 years we've owned it and its a nothing special 1958 ranch, but it still has its original kitchen and a large backyard, not original bathrooms though, those are the Home Depot special. I'd like to return them back to something close to what they would have been someday soon.

I would also like to change my kitchen slightly, its a huge room but the actual kitchen space is small, and have feelers out to buy the kitchen cabinets from a recently sold house that has cabinets identical to mine. Everyone around here is tearing out the 1950s kitchens and I would be shocked if these people didn't.

Edited by Megan
  • Love 1
(edited)

Megan, I hope you can achieve your goals with your house.  Old doesn't mean badly constructed, nor does it mean poorly designed.  Lots of pictures on many websites these days to give you inspiration.  Check out the Retro Renovation website for many different topics on vintage/mid century, and what they call mid-modest style.  They also give tips on where to purchase materials for restoration and new projects that are meant to look like the 50's & 60's.  My house was built in 1957 and over the last 14 years I have been trying to rid it of various inappropriate remodeled features added by previous owners who wanted the latest and greatest at that time.

I'm looking forward to more episodes of Restored.

Edited by laredhead
typo
(edited)
On 7/4/2017 at 0:49 AM, sheetmoss said:

The couple has been on an older episode of Flip or Flop too - they teamed with T & A on a vintage flip.

This explains so much right there. I could say so much more but I won't bother. I just wish these kind of shows would go away already. 

Edited by Evil Queen
  • Love 1

I love this show.  I love old architecture style especially craftsman and mid century homes.  I especially like the old brick, middle class homes with the wide porches (that has drains to the yard for washing your porch).

aaaa detroit house.jpg

• Love 1
On 7/6/2017 at 10:28 PM, laredhead said:

Watched 2 episodes of Vintage Flip last night.  One was a mid-century and the other was a Spanish style.  I like this show because they try to use something original from their houses and they also incorporate some color rather than using only gray and white.  The Spanish redo had some very pretty tile work and although I'm not a fan of the color blue, the shade of blue that they used on the kitchen cabinets was very pretty.

I wonder if this is the episode I saw last night -- the one with the dead cockroaches in the electric range?  So gross!  They replaced aluminum awnings with canvas, did Spanish tile in the kitchen and bathrooms and the fireplace, and the kitchen cabinets were painted blue. 

I wasn't crazy about the staging -- there was too much going on in the main living area -- but the rest of the place looked really good.  I especially liked the new windows.

It's amazing that they could do all that work for so little money -- about $60K, if I remember right.

Yes, Auntie Pam, that was the Spanish house episode.  The dead roaches were beyond disgusting.  If they did not own a real estate/flipping business and have access to wholesale prices, it would have cost a lot more for the average DYI person to do.  The other episode last night was about a "folk Victorian".  They certainly improved the exterior of that house with the new paint job.  While it might not have been what many people would like, it was a huge improvement over the original look.  They used wallpaper in the dining room which is certainly an exception to the flipping rule on most HGTV shows.  I liked it because I thought it fit the style of the house.  It's also something that a buyer can easily change if they don't like it.  

• Love 2