Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E22: Red Light

• Start Topic

I see that whole fantasy sequence as the mental place where Reid meets Cat, to give her the illusion that he's malleable to her whim. She - wants - him - to -want - her. She wants to dominate that brain, and that body, she wants to be the first to have him, she wants him to become like her because he loves her.

Reid "meets" her there, where he knows she is, where it's beautiful, clean, romantic, and she is in charge.

The back and forth in the fantasy realm, to me, demonstrates that Reid is feeling his way through her hopeful delusion, trying to find the crack in this mirror. Never looking at her with desire, as she wants, but looking to find what she hasn't thought of, what she will miss while trying to persuade him.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, SweetTooth said:

Yes, well, that's real life. And good for your mom. I've seen it happen before. 

I'm not talking about real-life, though. I'm talking about these particular characters in this particular show and how they've been established.

By that scenario, the first option would be to see some long, drawn-out process of JJ's marriage falling apart, which for me would be like watching paint dry and is not what the show is about. I don't tune in to see "As the Profiler Turns." I'm not into soap operas.

If the other option is JJ suddenly popping up, saying "Oh, did I mention that my marriage has been horrible for the past year?" and then falling into Reid's arms...then...well...I stand by my original statement.

Except for "interpretation" there has been zero obvious will they/won't they at all. Everything they've done has been as coworkers/friends. So, on top of everything else, they'd suddenly have to start with making this great "romance" obvious, which would be from out of the blue, again, except for some who have made these two their OTP and read certain things into certain scenes. In other words, Reid/JJ romance is not canon.

I think the show is meant to be realistic fiction, not fantasy, so I think it would make sense to write to real life experiences.  I'm not saying they have any intention of going there, but they could and it wouldn't be completely out of left field.  Just a few small bits and pieces of JJ/Will's relationship not being perfect or implications is all it would really take.  JJ and Reid have already established a strong bond as best friends, so it wouldn't take much to shift their relationship.  They don't even really have to change anything.  Again, I'm not saying it's going to happen because I know TPTB have shot it down, but it wouldn't be some huge disastrous event that changes anyone's character or the way they're perceived.

Edited by R3volver
  • Love 1

does anyone know the artist and song that was played over the Diana/Spencer reunion & hug? I googled the lyric 'got one more river to cross' and I got a bunch of hits as a gospel song. *scratches head* I dunno my gospel music but it sounded more ballady to me. If that makes sense. (that's the third time today I've said that :(  )

• Love 1
(edited)

@r3volver, et al... It would definitely be an easy shift. And natural. Co-workers, especially those with intense connections, tend to gravitate to one another. 

Agreeing that they probably won't go there, but hypothetically, if something were to happen to Will, who is it that you think JJ would turn to?

@ReidFan "Journey On" by Elms District

Edited by Willowy
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

does anyone know the artist and song that was played over the Diana/Spencer reunion & hug? I googled the lyric 'got one more river to cross' and I got a bunch of hits as a gospel song. *scratches head* I dunno my gospel music but it sounded more ballady to me. If that makes sense. (that's the third time today I've said that :(  )

that is not at all surprising since that is a common theme where gospel music is concerned. Have you thought about tweeting Harry Bring and asking him ?

17 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

already answered, bought off iTunes, added to "CM Playlist" on my iPhone   :)

(in under 8 minutes!)

So where did you find your answer?

50 minutes ago, Willowy said:

Look up, MMC. ;)

LOL. now I understand what you were referring to. Sorry sometimes the ole brain is a tad slow.  :)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, normasm said:

I see that whole fantasy sequence as the mental place where Reid meets Cat, to give her the illusion that he's malleable to her whim. She - wants - him - to -want - her. She wants to dominate that brain, and that body, she wants to be the first to have him, she wants him to become like her because he loves her.

Reid "meets" her there, where he knows she is, where it's beautiful, clean, romantic, and she is in charge.

The back and forth in the fantasy realm, to me, demonstrates that Reid is feeling his way through her hopeful delusion, trying to find the crack in this mirror. Never looking at her with desire, as she wants, but looking to find what she hasn't thought of, what she will miss while trying to persuade him.

At first I wasn't sure if I was going to like the fantasy-reality back and forth.  But in hindsight, it very much added to the tension between them.  I do think on some level Cat wants him to be attracted to her as a way of validating herself.  It's almost like she knows she went from normal to psychopath after dealing with anger and hate that she could not get passed .  Maybe she thinks she couldn't be such a bad person if someone like Reid also succumbed to the same thing.  She did not want him to leave.  I think it was more than the obvious revenge/mind game reason.

I also don't think she sees him as this sexual innocent to the point of thinking she would be the first to have him.  I think she is simply playing off a sexual chemistry that she recognizes.  I don't believe that deep down Reid doesn't feel it (sorry but I don't buy that he only had the choice to dance with her to say what he did at that time;  just as he didn't have to share his mom's situation with her in Entropy; he could have given a lie but rather gave personal info and feelings not required).  He just doesn't like what she is as a person.  But I'm not sure if he doesn't see a vulnerability there either.  Maybe I'm way off, but her tears at the end was for more than he won at her game again.  Am I the only one who thinks this?

I don't even see Reid as this innocent "kid" anymore no matter how many times everyone calls him that.  We have seen him express interest and date (at least off screen).  He could be doing anything with women.  The thing about his character is that he tends to go very private even when it's a good situation (remember he didn't want his team/friends to even know Maeve existed).  The writers could have him in a serious love affair at any given point and it would be plausible that such was happening right under everyone's nose.  I love the complexity that really is there with Reid.  I actually think Cat brings some of that out.

• Love 3

One other thing.  To me this new team has never felt bonded as a whole until the moment they are watching Reid and his mother hug.  They were finally on the same page as a new "unit or family"  mentally and personally that I have not felt beforehand.  Hope the bonding between the newer and older members continue.  It's one more thing that added to my love of CM.

Even when Reid was arrested in Mexico, Luke was the only one of the "newbies" who seemed to care on a truly personal level.

• Love 8
(edited)

Thanks Reidfan for asking about the song, and Willowy for the answer. Just found it, the complete version is.... just beautiful. 

This is just another thing I'm grateful to CM for. I've discovered some music that I love!!

Editing to add: listened to the song three times in a row, while reading the forum here and there, SOOOO BEAUTIFUL.

Edited by senin
  • Love 3

other things about Red Light I really appreciated even more, after multiple viewings and the fog and fever of illness has left me:

(Riff gets way too longwinded, feel free to scroll past :) )

Matthew rocked this. Moreso than ever before. (I think we’ve already covered that, multiple times)

besides Reid, there is/are another genius/geniuses aboard. Whoever chooses the music for the show is Mensa. Think I’ve gone on before about other songs used in other episodes, but “Journey On” (Elm District) was just beyond perfect for this. Obviously, it wasn’t playing (at least I doubt it would’ve been) while the actors were shooting the scene, but you can see the song being played out by mostly Reid, but JJ and Diana too; in the elevator, on the way up to the BAU, when Spencer and Diana first lay eyes on each other again. I’ve seen this particular scene at least ten times now and I end up bawling. Every.Single.Time. 

Also relating to the music, quite often in shows the damn music is so loud that hard-of-hearing me cannot hear the dialogue. I resort to putting on the closed captioning and that often obscures visuals. Didn’t happen in Red Light, the music volume was kept at a reasonable level throughout. Shout out to the editor, music folks and director on that count. 

Aubrey Plaza. Cannot say enough about how good she was in this. I hate Cat Adams! We’re supposed to, right? But she actually made me feel a little sorry for her right at the end when the man she loves (I think so anyway), who she won’t admit to loving and can never have, slams the door on her and leaves. He’s right, she doesn’t have the capacity to care for another human being, even herself apparently.

the take down of Lindsey. I had the oddest shiver run down my spine as David Rossi pulls out a gun and aims it at Lindsey Vaughn. How weird it must have been for Joe Mantegna to be holding a gun, even if it was a prop, on his own daughter. *shudders*

the JJ/Reid friendship. After he choked Cat and was horrified and left the room, JJ followed to offer comfort, lend an ear. A small thing, he called her Jennifer, which I only recall him doing once before (when he was angry with her in Proof), but I interpreted it as a signal, that he’s detaching himself from her to withdraw into himself. And she’s not letting it happen. He’s *not* a psychopath like Cat. I’m not a huge JJ fan, but when she assured him that ‘you bet your ass I would’ (have done the same thing, ie poison the drugs to save herself from being F&D’s next victim) I wanted to just reach into the TV and hug her. Yes! thank you! Not condescending. Not patronising. Not maudlin or pitying. Assertive. Like she’s encouraging him to be.

Related to this, but probably more the director’s call, I was kinda disappointed that she didn’t touch his arm or his shoulder, or perhaps put her hand on his back, in support as they were headed up to the office in the elevator. I caught this screencap (below). JJ looks so relieved, tired and like she’s happily anticipating what’s about to happen for her best friend. His eyes are shut. I immediately thought, he’s thinking about the injustices of the last few months, the relief of being released and then the long day he’s just been through with Cat that is finally about to culminate in the reunion between mother and son. He must be absolutely emotionally and physically drained. I know I was!

The reunion moment. Not a dry eye in the office. It was lovely to see, albeit through my own tears. Joe, Paget, AJ, Aisha and Kirsten all visibly moved as mother and son finally embrace. This is ‘personal moments’ on Criminal Minds at its best. Granted, the moment was Spencer and Diana’s, but interweaving reaction shots of the other teammates, especially the long time members was especially gratifying. No words needed (again, the song). Just kudos, kudos, kudos. The blocking/framing was so well done too; Prentiss gets the text and moves aside, the others all move along and we’re left with mother and son in this rather large area, refusing to let each other go. 

Jane Lynch. ‘nuff said.

the fantasy sequence. Harry Bring posted a photo to twitter showing that room in all its glorious vibrant colour, and Matthew and Aubrey in the dance clinch. What a gorgeous room it was! I loved how they filtered the actual scenes with a more sepia like tone to separate it from ‘reality’. His hair was still kinda long (dunno about you guys but I’m digging this length and the swept back from his face look of it. </shallow> ) though it was neat and brushed, and his facial hair was neater and more trimmed than in the prison room sequence. Contrast. And Aubrey, too, looked stunning in the fantasy. She really is a beautiful woman. And the prison room was so dark and gloomy comparatively. And in that crummy frumpy prison outfit, she looked *dreadful*.  It made the contrast between fantasy and reality so, so stark.  Which came around full circle at the end, when he slammed out the door and left her there, no makeup and hair askew, tears flowing and loss setting in. 

Glenn Kershaw’s directing/Breen Frazier’s writing. Always my favourite pairing (well, except for MGG as director). Glenn’s got a style that just excels. I suppose the editor gets some of the credit, but I thoroughly loved the dissolves from one scene to another, to wit: In the prison room, when Cat says ‘tell Blondie over there to go’, there’s a shot of Reid’s face. He considers Cat’s request, and then turns his head to his right (presumably to indicate to JJ that she should leave) and it dissolves into the exact same expression on Reid’s face, same angle looking over his shoulder, but *poof* he’s in the fantasy sequence. This reoccurs several times (the dissolve from one angle into another), when they’re dancing, and also notably when asked about Maeve and each time it’s pure magic.

I’ve already carried on (here and in previous posts) about how good Matthew was in this. Just a few words about *Reid*. I’m thoroughly gratified that, in effect, he was the one who solved this case and was ultimately responsible for his own exculpation. I worried that weeks away from the team would result in their not really needing him and that really gnawed. Fortunately, the writers remembered which one is the smartest one and even drugging, torture, deprivation and self loathing didn’t erode his abilities. And through all that he managed to outsmart Cat Adams again too. 

wow, this is too long :-\ and I thought about even more. <shutting up now> if you’ve read through all this, you deserve a medal :)

retro.jpg

sizzzzzles.jpg

• Love 10
26 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

other things about Red Light I really appreciated even more, after multiple viewings and the fog and fever of illness has left me:

Matthew rocked this. Moreso than ever before. (I think we’ve already covered that, multiple times)

besides Reid, there is/are another genius/geniuses aboard. Whoever chooses the music for the show is Mensa. Think I’ve gone on before about other songs used in other episodes, but “Journey On” (Elm District) was just beyond perfect for this. Obviously, it wasn’t playing (at least I doubt it would’ve been) while the actors were shooting the scene, but you can see the song being played out by mostly Reid, but JJ and Diana too; in the elevator, on the way up to the BAU, when Spencer and Diana first lay eyes on each other again. I’ve seen this particular scene at least ten times now and I end up bawling. Every.Single.Time. 

Also relating to the music, quite often in shows the damn music is so loud that hard-of-hearing me cannot hear the dialogue. I resort to putting on the closed captioning and that often obscures visuals. Didn’t happen in Red Light, the music volume was kept at a reasonable level throughout. Shout out to the editor, music folks and director on that count. 

Aubrey Plaza. Cannot say enough about how good she was in this. I hate Cat Adams! We’re supposed to, right? But she actually made me feel a little sorry for her right at the end when the man she loves (I think so anyway), who she won’t admit to loving and can never have, slams the door on her and leaves. He’s right, she doesn’t have the capacity to care for another human being, even herself apparently.

the take down of Lindsey. I had the oddest shiver run down my spine as David Rossi pulls out a gun and aims it at Lindsey Vaughn. How weird it must have been for Joe Mantegna to be holding a gun, even if it was a prop, on his own daughter. *shudders*

the JJ/Reid friendship. After he choked Cat and was horrified and left the room, JJ followed to offer comfort, lend an ear. A small thing, he called her Jennifer, which I only recall him doing once before (when he was angry with her in Proof), but I interpreted it as a signal, that he’s detaching himself from her to withdraw into himself. And she’s not letting it happen. He’s *not* a psychopath like Cat. I’m not a huge JJ fan, but when she assured him that ‘you bet your ass I would’ (have done the same thing, ie poison the drugs to save herself from being F&D’s next victim) I wanted to just reach into the TV and hug her. Yes! thank you! Not condescending. Not patronising. Not maudlin or pitying. Assertive. Like she’s encouraging him to be.

Related to this, but probably more the director’s call, I was kinda disappointed that she didn’t touch his arm or his shoulder, or perhaps put her hand on his back, in support as they were headed up to the office in the elevator. I caught this screencap (below). JJ looks so relieved, tired and like she’s happily anticipating what’s about to happen for her best friend. His eyes are shut. I immediately thought, he’s thinking about the injustices of the last few months, the relief of being released and then the long day he’s just been through with Cat that is finally about to culminate in the reunion between mother and son. He must be absolutely emotionally and physically drained. I know I was!

The reunion moment. Not a dry eye in the office. It was lovely to see, albeit through my own tears. Joe, Paget, AJ, Aisha and Kirsten all visibly moved as mother and son finally embrace. This is ‘personal moments’ on Criminal Minds at its best. Granted, the moment was Spencer and Diana’s, but interweaving reaction shots of the other teammates, especially the long time members was especially gratifying. No words needed (again, the song). Just kudos, kudos, kudos. The blocking/framing was so well done too; Prentiss gets the text and moves aside, the others all move along and we’re left with mother and son in this rather large area, refusing to let each other go. 

Jane Lynch. ‘nuff said.

the fantasy sequence. Harry Bring posted a photo to twitter showing that room in all its glorious vibrant colour, and Matthew and Aubrey in the dance clinch. What a gorgeous room it was! I loved how they filtered the actual scenes with a more sepia like tone to separate it from ‘reality’. His hair was still kinda long (dunno about you guys but I’m digging this length and the swept back from his face look of it. </shallow> ) though it was neat and brushed, and his facial hair was neater and more trimmed than in the prison room sequence. Contrast. And Aubrey, too, looked stunning in the fantasy. She really is a beautiful woman. And the prison room was so dark and gloomy comparatively. And in that crummy frumpy prison outfit, she looked *dreadful*.  It made the contrast between fantasy and reality so, so stark.  Which came around full circle at the end, when he slammed out the door and left her there, no makeup and hair askew, tears flowing and loss setting in. 

Glenn Kershaw’s directing/Breen Frazier’s writing. Always my favourite pairing (well, except for MGG as director). Glenn’s got a style that just excels. I suppose the editor gets some of the credit, but I thoroughly loved the dissolves from one scene to another, to wit: In the prison room, when Cat says ‘tell Blondie over there to go’, there’s a shot of Reid’s face. He considers Cat’s request, and then turns his head to his right (presumably to indicate to JJ that she should leave) and it dissolves into the exact same expression on Reid’s face, same angle looking over his shoulder, but *poof* he’s in the fantasy sequence. This reoccurs several times (the dissolve from one angle into another), when they’re dancing, and also notably when asked about Maeve and each time it’s pure magic.

I’ve already carried on (here and in previous posts) about how good Matthew was in this. Just a few words about *Reid*. I’m thoroughly gratified that, in effect, he was the one who solved this case and was ultimately responsible for his own exculpation. I worried that weeks away from the team would result in their not really needing him and that really gnawed. Fortunately, the writers remembered which one is the smartest one and even drugging, torture, deprivation and self loathing didn’t erode his abilities. And through all that he managed to outsmart Cat Adams again too. 

wow, this is too long :-\ and I thought about even more. <shutting up now> if you’ve read through all this, you deserve a medal :)

retro.jpg

sizzzzzles.jpg

Wow just wow.... reposting as I agree with everything you just wrote.

I thought I was the only one who felt a little bad about Cat in the end when she was crying.

Also same as you I was never a JJ fan but I started liking her in this season and absolutely loved her in the last two episodes. The watch me scene, Reid and JJ converstion on the floor and Diana Spencer hug are my favourites from this episodes. 

And Both MGG and Cat deserve an emmy for this, at least a nomination if nothing else.

Thanks for the screencaps. The Reid and Cat one is just fabulous.

• Love 3

I am not saying JJ and Reid don't have chemistry.  I am not even against them having a torrid and dirty affair.  But at this juncture it would be an affair.  It would take a good deal of writing for it not to be.  

Or the show could shoot Will in the face and Reid could comfort JJ and they could have dirty comfort sex.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ReidFan said:

Jane Lynch. ‘nuff said.

retro.jpg

sizzzzzles.jpg

Reposting your post because it's full of win (who would have ever thought that expression would sound so old fashioned?). Chorusing about a few points I particularly like:

I loved the song, too, good choice (and I didn't particularly want to hear Glenn's daughter). And, yes, the score music was pretty darned subtle in this ep.

Aubrey is the best CM bad guy, she even surpassed the great George Foyet. Truly, i'm hoping Cat can hunt down Mr. Scratch from prison before 13 and kill his *ss!

Reid and JJ were perfect in this ep. At that low point you mention, when they are sitting on the floor, he starts to call her JJ, stops and says, "Jennifer" instead (he also called her Jennifer in a friendly way in season 10 or 11, so it's not just a distancing, angry name). And the elevator scene was just right, standing side by side, exhausted smiles to one another. They truly seem to have become "best" friends this year. I don't ship them, but, since the JJ character has been redeemed in my eyes, I really like that they are besties.

And wasn't that fantasy room all golden, sparkly champagne? I loved that back and forth, the jarring juxtaposition between grim reality and the longing Cat has to have him love her. Weird, but very satisfying. 

And your point, "Fortunately, the writers remembered which one is the smartest one and even drugging, torture, deprivation and self loathing didn’t erode his abilities." I say an amen.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, normasm said:

Reposting your post because it's full of win (who would have ever thought that expression would sound so old fashioned?). Chorusing about a few points I particularly like:

I loved the song, too, good choice (and I didn't particularly want to hear Glenn's daughter). And, yes, the score music was pretty darned subtle in this ep.

Aubrey is the best CM bad guy, she even surpassed the great George Foyet. Truly, i'm hoping Cat can hunt down Mr. Scratch from prison before 13 and kill his *ss!

Reid and JJ were perfect in this ep. At that low point you mention, when they are sitting on the floor, he starts to call her JJ, stops and says, "Jennifer" instead (he also called her Jennifer in a friendly way in season 10 or 11, so it's not just a distancing, angry name). And the elevator scene was just right, standing side by side, exhausted smiles to one another. They truly seem to have become "best" friends this year. I don't ship them, but, since the JJ character has been redeemed in my eyes, I really like that they are besties.

And wasn't that fantasy room all golden, sparkly champagne? I loved that back and forth, the jarring juxtaposition between grim reality and the longing Cat has to have him love her. Weird, but very satisfying. 

And your point, "Fortunately, the writers remembered which one is the smartest one and even drugging, torture, deprivation and self loathing didn’t erode his abilities." I say an amen.

Do you think Cat could return to help catch Scratch?

No, I mean (facetiously, mind you) that I wish Cat could get another outside minion to find him and kill him, so we don't have to waste time on his lameness at all in 13.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, normasm said:

No, I mean (facetiously, mind you) that I wish Cat could get another outside minion to find him and kill him, so we don't have to waste time on his lameness at all in 13.

I just want him to be DONE. 

• Love 1
(edited)

ReidFan, I won't quote you again, but your review of the episode is wonderful !!!!

I love it when someone seems to be reading my mind and this is what happened with most (all of?) your post. 

I have watched only once so far (and still I have been reading so much about it that it seems I have been living in CM land ) and I think your post will help me focus on some of the highlights of the episode, when I watch it again (in a few moments, I think) 

I hadn't realised that Joe had pointed the gun at his own daughter, because I was so caught up in the fiction I didn't think about the actors at all, I only thought about the characters. 

Editing to add: Your post is long, but every word of it is worth reading. 

Edited by senin
  • Love 8

dammit I can't find the post I wanted to reply to. 

Someone asked earlier (maybe it wasn't in this thread? but it's about this episode, so...) about Morgan going to see Reid. Earlier I said that Prentiss said she didn't authorise the text (implying that she may have authorised the safe house) I was wrong (and I'm not afraid to admit it)

I finally got a chance to watch it with the closed captioning on, and after they read the text,  Prentiss says she 'didn't authorise that'. Just a bit later, when he's talking to Garcia, he says he's gonna text Savannah to tell her he's catching a later flight because first he *has* to see Reid. He's gonna take them breakfast and make sure they're okay. Which to me, sounds like the Reids are back at Spencer's apartment.

which is nuts. they need to be in  a more secure location than that!

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

dammit I can't find the post I wanted to reply to. 

Someone asked earlier (maybe it wasn't in this thread? but it's about this episode, so...) about Morgan going to see Reid. Earlier I said that Prentiss said she didn't authorise the text (implying that she may have authorised the safe house) I was wrong (and I'm not afraid to admit it)

I finally got a chance to watch it with the closed captioning on, and after they read the text,  Prentiss says she 'didn't authorise that'. Just a bit later, when he's talking to Garcia, he says he's gonna text Savannah to tell her he's catching a later flight because first he *has* to see Reid. He's gonna take them breakfast and make sure they're okay. Which to me, sounds like the Reids are back at Spencer's apartment.

which is nuts. they need to be in  a more secure location than that!

They need to at least have guards at the apartment or something. 

(edited)

does anyone know the artist and song that was played over the Diana/Spencer reunion & hug?

I just caught up to the ABC special on my DVR  about Princess Diana (mother of William and Harry) and her sad marriage and tragic end, etc., and then I came here and read this post and had to smile...Of course, before she became Princess Diana of Wales, she was "Diana Spencer"

Edited by UncleChuck
  • Love 5
(edited)

Perfect review of the episode Reidfan!

I have to admit that I had some sympathy for Cat because she does seem to want Reid's approval or at least understanding.  I think she wants similar words that JJ said to Reid to reassure him that he is not a bad person at his core and she wants it to come from Reid.

Actually a part of me hopes that we do eventually get to see that in an upcoming episode.  Here's why .  .  .  Cat did prove that Reid would indeed cross a line that he firmly stated he never would (remember he said that he was not the kind of man to kill or try to hurt her no matter what).  He was wrong.  He did have a point where he would break and if JJ had not been in the room, he may have been in prison all over again.  Maybe, Cat wants him to understand that she needs never had the support system to help pull her back from that edge.  I think on some level, given his reaction, he needs to come to that realization and tell her so.  Though she doesn't know him like his team/friends, I think she knows him more than he is giving her credit for.  At some point, he has got to go back to see her for an actual heart to heart.

Edited by Nothingsurprisesme
  • Love 3

While some of us could see the chemistry between Reid and Cat (a la Batman v Catwoman), and she is a pretty keen villain, to me that doesn't excuse her one whit.

She's a diabolical murderer, she would have killed his mother, and she tried to convince him he was raped. I don't have any need to see them interact again.

• Love 2