Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
ZoqFotPik

Attack On Titan

If I understood the episode correctly, all the action so far has taken place on a big island, with the Titans being a double-edged weapon of war. Substitute the word "yoma" for "titan" and it sounds a bit like the backstory of Claymore.

I am really happy with the fairy-tale aspect of this story and the origin of the Titans. This is like an inverted version of the Garden of Eden myth. Most other writers would have gone with some ridiculous techy sci-fi backstory involving military experiments gone wrong or mad scientists who took things too far. Ironically, it makes suspension of disbelief easier to go straight to the supernatural.

Okay. So Grisha and his sister was a part of an oppressed minority, and she wound up getting killed by a Nazi parallel. He joined a movement, but they were all rounded up . . . and not only were they turned into Titans, they became Titans from the first season (for instance, the bearded guy was the one that chomped Eren's arm off). His wife was transformed into the Titan . . . that killed his second wife? Probably the one that birthed Eren? Meanwhile, Zeke turned in his parents (dick move), but he winds up becoming . . . Beast Titan? I think I'd need charts. And lots of them.

Also, would the Titans have wrecked civilization that quickly? If not, does that make Grisha immortal? Slowly aging?

I had to read a few descriptions trying to explain this whole thing and I'm still confused. The story is that Ymir made a deal with the Devil and was given the power of the Titans. Ymir's descendants (and is that literal, biological descendants or figurative?) become the Eldians and create an empire on the mainland. Ymir dies and her power passes to 9 special Titans. Then all of a sudden there's a Foundation Titan in the story and where did that come from? So we are then given two histories. In the Marleyan one they rebelled against the evil Eldians, captured/suborned seven of the nine (Ha, 7 of 9) and used them to win the war and now keep the Eldians oppressed for the good of all mankind. The underground history is the Titans were used to build an enlightened civilization and the Marleyans wanted it all and managed to win the war. The last king decamped to a very large island (because he was a pacifist?) with the Foundation Titan, created the Walls with embedded Titans, and set up the story of this being the last remnants of humanity. Presumably the Royal family used their ability to wipe memories to make sure everyone believed it. What part is true? Well it does seem all Eldians carry the genetic ability to become Titans.

I don't think it's an accident there's an Ymir running around that can titanize and doesn't remember her past.

That looks correct. I don't think the Eldians are all the literal descendants of Ymir, just her subjects. The Founding Titan will be explained more in the next episode.

The person we know as Ymir does seem to remember her past, as a street orphan who was picked by a cult to be a living representation of the founder Ymir. Whether she has more significance than that is unknown so far.

I feel like this “the king just got tired of war” story is unlikely.  More like he picked a more defensible position.  

I had missed that we’d seen more than one of this ep’s Titans before.  Seems a little coincidental - maybe they were drawn to Grisha somehow?

Huh, does this mean same sex marriage is legal in that world? Not sure about that 13 year deadline, Ymir figured she was in Titan form for about sixty years. But I guess she's not one of the special Nine?

This still doesn't explain where the Foundation Titan came from.

As far as I'm concerned, nothing that was revealed about the history of the Titans is believable until it is shown to be true on the screen where I can see it. For example; that "deal with the devil" bit sounds like a metaphor for the Titans being created by reckless scientific research.

18 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Huh, does this mean same sex marriage is legal in that world? Not sure about that 13 year deadline, Ymir figured she was in Titan form for about sixty years. But I guess she's not one of the special Nine?

This still doesn't explain where the Foundation Titan came from.

What I recall is that Ymir was originally a pure Titan, then she accidentally ate Rheiner and Berthold’s friend, becoming one of the nine.  I think the clock only started then.

The marriage comment was fine, but to me it felt a little like the writers trying to make the show topical.  It took me slightly out of the moment just because it seemed they were trying too hard.

(Also it’s never been quite clear to me that Historia reciprocates those feelings the same way, but I admit I don’t catch every detail of characterization. )

Ymir is going to flip sides before the end, I am positive.  

Edited by lathspel

For all the angst and suffering this anime has given us, it was pretty satisfying to see the Scouts reach the ocean. Just a mix of awe and slackened jaws all around, as well as the realization that salt water can blind. I know the final season will probably be wall-to-wall death and general mayhem, but seeing Armin and Eren finally getting to see thee ocean? It was nice.

• Like 1