Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05: Reality Stars: The Musical

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

They showed a brief flashback and Eureka said she felt her knee pop during a split. Ouch. I heard Charlie had a broken rib, which wouldn't be too visibly apparent but it would definitely affect her breathing and core movement.

Sorry for still asking about this, but broken ribs are not something that can be ignored medically.  You generally have some strong painkillers to start for the first couple of days then OTC ones because if you are in too much pain to breathe deeply you can end up with pneumonia.  If Charlie thought she had a broken rib she would need an x-ray to make sure it wasn't a jagged break because that can damage lungs or blood vessels.  I don't think that the staff would ignore a broken rib (even if it was just cracked) and not let Charlie step out and finish her season later like they did Eureka.  Did Charlie just not say anything?  I think it would be hard to hide a cracked rib from everyone.  Even with her LSFYL, she didn't seem like she was in pain, she just looked like she gave up as soon as she as in the bottom two.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Eater of Worlds said:

Did Charlie just not say anything?  I think it would be hard to hide a cracked rib from everyone.

I'm not sure if Charlie kept it quiet or if the editors just chose not to show it.

5 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Ru used to do that with (Newark LaGuardia) Kennedy Davenport.

@kieyra I'm kind of surprised that you didn't find season 8 memorable. Most of the people I know thought it was a welcome return to form after season 7 (bleeeeeeeeeech). Yes, Bob won and it was a bit of a coronation, but there was really something interesting about the top half of the queens in season 8. I didn't think there was a single queen skating by in the top, except Derrick Barry. It was Bob, Kim Chi, Naomi Smalls, Chi Chi, Thorgy, and Derrick. I think you can make a solid case for bringing Acid Betty, Robbie Turner, and Dax Exclamation Point back on a future season even though they finished in the bottom half of season 8.

Ok, reading the names I think I know what part of my problem was ... I was more invested in Thorgy and Acid Betty at the outset, and they were gone sooner than I expected. I think I also liked Dax. I can't place Naomi Smalls in my memory, Derrick was kind of one-note, right? ... and Kim Chi's aesthetic was amazing but not up my alley. 

Keep in mind my memory is also shot to hell now (just hit that age, I guess). :) 

• Love 2
On 4/22/2017 at 9:30 AM, AntManBee said:

I can't quite put my finger on it, but something is off about this season.  Maybe it's the HD, maybe the move to VH1, the change in nights, the changes in filming pre-2016 US Election and airing now, the GaGa focused first episode, the curious case of Lucian Piane, the newly established pattern of returning queens, or what??  But something is awry.  Five episodes in and there have been no inspiring lip syncs.  There is no stand out queen.  The makeup and runway looks have, mostly, been harsh.  The Very Special Episode themes are getting 80s sitcom strong.  The challenges are beginning to feel recycled.   Another lipsyncing in stage performance together... 

Anyways, I thought the musical itself was cute, and they all did about as well as anyone would have expected their established characters to do.  Nobody impressed on the runway.  We got another lipsync to a mid tempo, awkward, dance song.  We got a swerve elimination.  It's all so blah.

UnTucked isn't providing any fun either.  Alexis is a pill.  Nina is a downer.  Cynthia Lee is repetitive.  Peppermint is there. 

It's the cast, it just sucks. They have been getting worst since season 7.

Yeah, we're 5 episodes in, and I don't care who gets sent home or who wins. Watching the show is pleasant, but I am not rooting for or against any of them especially hard. I think there have been three lipsyncs where I felt, "eh, send 'em both home". I don't know what it is either, the lack of mini challenges, which are also chances to get to know them, the cast this season, editing due to moving to VH1. At least season 7 was obviously bad for their casting choices and then things like Shakesqueer. I really wish they'd skipped the cheerleading challenge since two cast members were injured. The bar seemed set higher for the cast, and it isn't that I want a lot of fighting or feuding, but this season just isn't doing it for me. Oh, well, once it's over, some of them might emerge with shows like UHHHHN, etc. And I do enjoy Jaymes Mansfield's videos on the history of drag.

• Love 2
On 4/26/2017 at 3:10 PM, kieyra said:

Ok, reading the names I think I know what part of my problem was ... I was more invested in Thorgy and Acid Betty at the outset, and they were gone sooner than I expected. I think I also liked Dax. I can't place Naomi Smalls in my memory, Derrick was kind of one-note, right? ... and Kim Chi's aesthetic was amazing but not up my alley. 

Keep in mind my memory is also shot to hell now (just hit that age, I guess). :) 

Derrick was absolutely one note because he made his bones as a Britney Spears impersonator in Vegas. Naomi is the suuuuuuuuuper skinny black body queen who didn't pad. Naomi was raised by a white Mormon family. I've always felt that season 8 was an overcorrection after season 7. I think a ton of the middle of the pack people from 8 would be a lot more competitive on a different season.

I mean Alexis is busy bitching about how they let her come out in something basic, but someone like Acid Betty or Thorgy never would have disappointed in the way Alexis has.

• Love 2