Type keyword(s) to search

Brockmire - General Discussion

• Start Topic

S04.E05: Double Header

Jules tries to win Beth's approval of the relationship she and Brockmire are trying to rekindle, but they don't get along until Jules takes Beth under her wing as a drinking buddy; Jim is irate that Jules was a bad influence on his daughter.

Original air date: 4/15/20

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Jules: The alcohol you drink is who you want to be. When you order a Long Island iced tea, you're telling the world, "I'm going to suck your dick but then I'm going to puke all over it afterwards." I used to drink white wine because I wanted to be day drunk all night long. Now I drink whiskey because I just prefer to be mean and numb.

• LOL 3

I thought that was flat out brilliant until the last three minutes. Jim hitting us with after school special stuff after all that? After the life he lived and things he's done, and he's gonna hit Jules with parent bullshit? nd then Beth waking up just in time to hear about Jim and her mom?

Blech. 

Until then though, comedy gold. 

• Love 1

Beth is a savage drunk. Just like dear old dad. But I feel like Jules deliberately sabotaged her to get the upper hand.

Wonder if Beth will remember any of that fight between Jules and Brockmire. Some of that stuff probably won't go down well.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
4 hours ago, whiporee said:

After the life he lived and things he's done, and he's gonna hit Jules with parent bullshit?

Like many hypocrites (especially those who are authority figures), the rule is always, “Do as I say, not as I do.”

Getting Beth suuuuuper drunk wasn’t a great idea but I don’t think Jules is a terrible person for doing it, and she’s certainly not a terrible person because she didn’t know that Jim was terrified Beth would follow in his footsteps and become an alcoholic. Jules isn’t a mind reader and she hasn’t been around Jim for years so she can’t be expected to just know his various feelings on subjects like the daughter that Jules never met before. 

S04.E06: The Hall

As Beth was growing up, Jim told her everything he knew about her deceased birth mother, but she finds out that he lied to her; on the biggest day of Jim's life, Beth is supposed to give a speech to memorialize him.

Original air date: 4/22/20

The dog stuff was hilarious. "I'm still paying alimony. I just want Scrappy to be happy," and "You know that was a green card marriage, Joe Buck." Anything with joe buck on this show is solid. 

Beth was a jerk, and the show really lacks energy when it's not Jim and Jules. The previews had me laughing more than the show, but I thought the show was funny. Any time Jim can rant it's funny. 

And it is too bad Jim could not remember his encounter with Eden. it was sweet. 

Bangs: the devil's curtains.

Keepin' it Brockmire. The alternative name for this show.

And it is too bad Jim could not remember his encounter with Eden. it was sweet. 

Yes it was. They actually did have something significant in common. I think it would've done Beth a lot of good to know that her parents weren't actually just two ships passing in the night. Brockmire had a visceral connection, he was just too drunk to realize it.

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The dog marriage was hilarious too.

It was a green card marriage and Joe Buck knows it. 

I do give Joe Buck (always has to be his full name) credit for playing such a nasty version (I'm assuming) of himself. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

I do give Joe Buck (always has to be his full name) credit for playing such a nasty version (I'm assuming) of himself. 

Totally agree. He plays the character like the smarmy asshole his many detractors assume he is in real life.

• Love 1

S04.E07: Union Negotiations

Baseball players' union contracts are up for re-negotiation and a potential strike threatens the future of baseball altogether; Jim and Jules give it one last go and try to negotiate the terms of their potential relationship.

Original air date: 4/29/20

This season has been uneven and a mixed bag, but I found this episode delightful. Paul F Tompkins FTW.

Also, I just watched this right after the latest Westworld episode, and I feel like the background sci-fi dystopia is more successful here.  Limone is creepy and fascinating!

• Love 1

Jim and Jules had a wedding that suited them perfectly. I loved that in their negotiations, she refused to budge on Cocaine Wednesdays. A girl's gotta have some baseline standards.

As contrived as her speech was, the sentiment was perfect and I'm glad that she didn't let Jim push her away. I was surprised that he told her about his Parkinson's right away. I thought he would come up with a lie about why they couldn't be together, but I guess he assumed that being honest would accomplish the same thing.

The baseball negotiations were ridiculous and hilarious.

I hope Jim tells Beth soon because although she's going to be crushed, she should know so that she can make the most of the time he has left.

• Love 3

Getting stabbed is just a part of life!

I thought this was a fairly depressing episode until Brockmire and Jules finally got married on top of the conference room table. I couldn't stop thinking about how ruined that table was.

So where will it end up, with a trash-talking Toddler Brockmire in 2038?

Limone is creepy and fascinating!

Right? It's interesting how much personal agency people were willing to give up in exchange for the convenience of a virtual assistant gadget. Limone taking Jim's blood test was next level of the next level.

(edited)

SERIES FINALE!

S4.E8: The Long Offseason

Wow.....that's it??? While interesting and somewhat clever in concept it wasn't funny and wasn't really BROCKMIRE. Talk about going out with a whimper.....which is so shocking compared to what this show was in its first 2 seasons.

I guess the good news is that watching anyone character with Parkinson's would be sad, and not something that should be played for comedy. And it would be particularly bad for this character who was soooo hard to show any real compassion for!

Edited by AriAu
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I know the show left it ambiguous, but reading his face, do you think the treatment was working or not?

I really liked Amanda Peet. Always have. I would have preferred more of her in season two and three. 

A very funny first season. Okay second one. Third was soulful and nice but not as funny and while the fourth had moments, I think they just wanted to redeem Jim too much. Not a bad watch, but never got as funny again as it did the episode where Jim was getting the fans to fight. That was classic. 

• Love 2

I missed Jim as a play-by-play guy.  That's what I missed the most about this season.

I loved the first and third seasons for different reasons.  I liked the second and fourth seasons less for different reasons.

It was right to end it four and even though I felt the finale was weird, it was a great performance by Azaria. 

• Love 3

I know the show left it ambiguous, but reading his face, do you think the treatment was working or not?

Yeah, I think so. That's why he said they didn't need to rush off for dinner. He had more time to live.

It was a little weird I thought but I liked that it pulled back at the end and just let Brockmire be vulnerable. Powerful performance by Hank Azaria. Hope there's an Emmy in his future.