Type keyword(s) to search

TJ Lavin: "You're Quitting This Thread?!? No, You're Not!"

• Start Topic

I did something stupid today. I went on Facebook group and suggested that TJ Lavin wasn't "all that." I said stuff that I had been saying for years. Apparently, I did not wander into a minefield. I walked out onto a field with one huge mine.

I won't go over my dislikes for "Teege" because I won't stop once I started. I recognize that as far as "alternative" sports stars, he has brought a little more personality than Jonny Moseley and Dave Mirra (RIP). While Mark Long might have been a better fit, I can't put TJ lower than Mark's Battle Of The Seasons co-host, Eric Nies. If somebody had to be that closely associated to the franchise, I would be okay with TJ, because I am not fond of "Johnny Bananas." And I'm glad he survived his crash in 2010, because I don't want people getting hurt. Usually. Well, not him.

I've said my piece. What do you have to say?

I don't mind Teege per se, but I do find it annoying to have the same host for the last dozen consecutive seasons. I wish they'd mix it up a little. I would take almost any former cast member over Teege, just for a change of pace.

*Whisper* I actually liked Eric Nies as a co-host. I loved the TWOP recapper's jokes about his bucket hat hiding his receding hairline and the speculation that Mark Long had to do all the talking because Eric couldn't read the cue cards. It was like bonus snark material.

And during the Newlywed game show, when Theo guessed that Hollywick wanted a boob job, and Theo had to read his answer aloud? Eric pulls a total Jimmy Fallon and doesn't even bother trying to finish his sentence he's laughing so hard at what Theo just walked into. That was pretty funny.

On 3/27/2017 at 0:05 AM, SheTalksShit said:

I don't like how he always hassles people for quitting. It's just like, "why do you care?" if someone wants to quit and miss out on possibly winning thousands of dollars, that's their prerogative, respect it. 

Because somebody else could have gotten the spot, damn it. There are degrees for me. If you're on a team that keeps screwing you (Coral) or if Camila is screaming at you in while you're submerging your head in water and hanging upside-down (Eric/Big Easy), then I feel it can be justified. Teege would've quit on Camila, too. Other times, TJ is in the right. But it's like I've been saying for years: TJ Lavin is a poor man's Jeff Probst, and BMP could have done better. I mean, great that he made an impact where Jonny Moseley and Dave Mirra (RIP) failed, but I just never gelled with Teege.

ETA: It's after 1 a.m. right now. MTV is showing the episode of Ridiculousness with Teege.

I love him!  He's the perfect foil for these kids.  His distance and dispassion cools them right down and it's like being around your much cooler older brother who's been there and now knows better.  I think his approval means the world to them.  And yes, he is disgusted by quitters and he's not afraid to show it

Poor man's Jeff Probst?  Beg to differ.  Probst started out great but now he is way too involved, he's a producer, he gets in the mix to the point that's he influences challenges and tribals with his constant commenting and leading questions and obvious cheerleading even while the competition is on. Whereas TJ is a perfect host, he is on the sidelines monitoring, he is not influencing.  He may have favorites but it doesn't show during the competition, nor does he influence the result.  If they don't bother to try, or actually quit, he gives them the stinkeye and snark that they deserve.  Otherwise he just does his job. That's what a host should be!  

• Love 8

On Facebook, I posted my gratitude that TJ was not hosting CvP. Otherwise, they might have happened in last night's finale:

TJ: Louise, this is The Challenge. We don't quit, ever. What were you thinking?
Louise: Corr. Lindsey puked on my cake.
TJ: That's no excuse. You just don't throw in the towel. You are a disappointment.
Louise: Tell you what. The cake is on the table, and it's still moist from Lindsey's chunder. Why don't YOU down that, you daft wanker?!?

• Love 1