Type keyword(s) to search

American Greed - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I've been watching this show for several years, but nothing shocked me more than the episode this week about Rumeal Robinson. I've never seen such unadulterated greed by anyone.... kicking his mother out of her home, talking about her as if she was nothing to him. And he's now out of prison. I've never wished anyone bad luck, but I hope karma has a way of finding him somehow.

• Love 3

I've seen a lot of these, but the one that struck me the hardest was Deadly Rx For Greed, about the pharmacist who watered down people's chemotherapy medications for profit.  Even the FBI agents were in tears.

After I saw this, I realized that this story had been used as the basis for an episode of Law and Order Criminal Intent, and that was also hard hitting, but the true version was even worse.

• Love 4

I don't think I've seen that one, @roseha. Most recent case I saw regarding prescription greed was a woman in Calif. who was giving out the deadly combo that drug addicts want, like it was candy, and they knew of at least 8 or 9 deaths. One a college student who was experimenting with drugs for maybe the first time at a party. She should have been thrown under the jail. 

I cannot be the only one who watches this show and has something to say! '

For the life of me I cannot understand how some people will turn over a hundred thousand dollars to someone without doing some type of due diligence. It is amazing how many dating sites are a breeding ground for victims. The story goes something like this: I am lonely, have a low self-esteem and might be average looking, middle-age or a bit overweight. I add my profile. A sociopath responds and wants to date me. Within a few dates this person is asking for money and I give it to him! After draining my assets, taking out a mortgage and cashing in my 401(K), the sociopath no longer loves me and I never hear from him again. Now I am shocked, just shocked.

• Love 7

I've quit watching this because it was reruns all the time on H&I, but I liked it. I wouldn't give money to any man who asked me, but there are women who are so desperate to have someone in their lives, they believe the lies and the flatteries. I'm cynical, I'm from Missouri, show me. I don't believe anything until I see it and no one is going to fall madly in love with me in a few emails. I tried a couple of dating things many years ago, but I thought most people on them were full of crap. I laughed at the one very young man who wanted to "date" me. I don't want anyone who's young enough to be my grandchild, I have enough family that need my support, I don't need a total stranger wanting money too. And, I don't have any to give, that solves a lot of those problems.

But, my concerns are more the people who are harmed by doctors or pretending to be doctors, there are several episodes dealing with those. 

I admit, I don't have a lot of sympathy for someone with millions, no matter how they got it, earned or inherited, and they are scammed into giving some lowlife con artist hundreds of thousands of dollars. You don't just invest in off shore banks or stocks without investigating, reading a brochure is not not investigating

• Love 2

It is startling how many of these con artists are professionals. All of that schooling, gives an oath and then rip off people. Maybe the high student loans play a part.

Edited by Showthyme
change and to an cuz I finished school.

I've started watching the show again because it's playing in the afternoons on the ESCAPE sub-channel network.   I don't know why, I have a train-wreck fascination with these stories sometimes.   It really is sad that many people will invest their life savings with the friend of a friend without even finding some way of checking them out.  The money is almost never recovered.  So terrible.

• Love 4

I watched the college admissions scandal episode last week and it's still bothering me that the perpetrator, Rick Singer, was able to negotiate a plea deal by turning in the parents.  How is that even possible?  Should the parents have turned on him?

I just find this very confusing.  Everyone from Singer, the parents, the coaches and even the kids are guilty this scheme.  JMO

• Love 2

Where's Stacy Keach and American Greed? I desperately need an episode on the bishop whose church was robbed during a livestream only to discover bishop was dipping into congregation members retirement funds. 

• Like 1
On 8/1/2022 at 7:57 AM, MissAlmond said:

Where's Stacy Keach and American Greed? I desperately need an episode on the bishop whose church was robbed during a livestream only to discover bishop was dipping into congregation members retirement funds. 

Wait WHAT?    I saw the story about the robbery.   Did not know he was ripping off his congregation (you know other than using donations to buy all that tacky ass jewelry)?   So was the robbery staged to hide that?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I saw the story about the robbery.   Did not know he was ripping off his congregation (you know other than using donations to buy all that tacky ass jewelry)? 

Well, apparently it was only one member's retirement fund LOL. But yes, there's a long list of (alleged) cons. NY Post mentions them here:

https://nypost.com/2022/07/28/bk-bishop-who-was-robbed-stole-congregants-retirement-savings-suit/

The flashy Brooklyn pastor who was robbed of more than $1 million in jewelry during a livestreamed church service was accused of stealing $90,000 from a congregant in a lawsuit filed last year.

Longer article if you're a NY Times subscriber:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/04/nyregion/lamor-whitehead-bishop-robbed.html

2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

So was the robbery staged to hide that?

No one has said so at the moment. That's why I need Stacy Keach and American Greed on the case!

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 1