Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: No Quarter

After being cured and woken, the Mikaelson siblings join Hayley in an effort to rescue Klaus from captivity - even if they must face Marcel in the process. Meanwhile, Klaus' demons materialize in unexpected ways as he suffers from the effects of the Tunde Blade, and Vincent investigates a haunting that will prove to be much more sinister than he could have imagined.

Promo:

Sure, Marcel, you're gonna let them go because you're so very much better than them. *eyeroll* Nothing to do with being outnumbered and having a witch-vampire-werewolf child waiting out there to get revenge if no one comes back.

I thought the Michaelsons were showing considerable restraint in getting Klaus out, conceding the city and essentially pulling of a grab and run with Klaus. Actually I found it rather refreshing that they really did not seem to care in the least about New Orleans. It will be interesting to see them being asked to return to the city, since I suspect that's the only way they'll be back.

I find it continually interesting how they still refrain from telling Marcel that the straws that finally broke the camel's back were for once not at all Klaus's doing. Elijah killed Marcel before Klaus had a chance to stop him, and Klaus was very vocally opposed to sacrificing Davina, that was all Elijah and Freya. If those were the things Marcel felt Klaus most needed to pay for, man is he in the dark.

Dead-figment-of-Klaus's imagination Cami was actually my favorite Cami ever! Also I'm glad to see Joseph Morgan still has those wonderful loving reactions to scenes with Hope. He just radiates love the second they're in the same room.

So Vincent is responsible for The New Terror, eh? I wonder if this means we'll see Eva Sinclair again!

• Love 5

The Mikaelsons were shockingly restrained, but I attribute that to the realization that nearly every supernatural creature or person on the planet, except for the ones who were obsessed with those idiots in Mystic Falls, had banded together to break the sireline and torture or kill all of the Mikaelsons. I mean the all of the dead witches were controlling Vincent's body so that they could make him cast spells against his will. That's kind of the official sign that the universe hates you. Marcel was right that they really don't have any appreciation for how many lives they've destroyed. Season 3 was basically "karma assholes!!!" 

It's curious that they haven't told Marcel that the most egregious stuff from last season wasn't Klaus' doing. Though I suspect that Klaus is actually acting like a father to Marcel and doesn't think it ultimately matters. Klaus has failed and betrayed Marcel that an alibi or absolution for these last acts isn't really material. Klaus has been as much a driver of all of the messed up Mikaelsons shit that you can't pull his thread out without unraveling the whole sweater.

I doubt we'll get any Eva Sinclair because her actress is kicking butt in Vancouver on Legends.

I was really hoping that Keahu Kahuanui's character, who is Josh's new boyfriend, was named Danny. Especially because Danny on Teen Wolf was acutely aware of all of the supernatural shenanigans on Teen Wolf, but never part of any of the action.

• Love 2
(edited)

Poor Josh. He really got stuck in the middle of all this. I rolled my eyes when Elijah asked Josh to move the freezer so they could access the tunnels. The Originals are much older and stronger but they're going to make the newbie vampire push a freezer because they think they're too good for manual labor?

I really felt for Josh later when he was trying to tell Kol that one day he will feel better about losing Davina. I know that he was not trying to suck up to Kol or win him over or do anything but tell him that one day he will feel a little better. And that's why I was so annoyed that Kol was a dick to him about it. When he asked, "Why are you telling me this?" I wish Josh had said, "Because I loved Davina too, maybe not the same way that you did, but I miss her too every single day - so maybe stop acting like you're the only one who lost her."

Later when we saw Kol had Josh's phone and that he was the one who had texted Josh's new guy, I was afraid that Kol was somehow setting up something bad, like someone was going to show up to kill Josh's new boyfriend, so it was nice to see that he was just trying to do one nice thing. It would have been nice if he hadn't stolen Josh's phone. What if he didn't have that picture with Davina backed up on the cloud?

I know that Vincent's just trying to do the right thing, but he hears that there might something weird going on so he just goes to investigate by himself? Has he never watched a horror movie before? What's in the ouroboros book? Eva's journal? "Dear diary, I just want to sacrifice children so I can become more powerful. Why is everyone so mad at me?"

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I thought Kol was perfection at every turn, sensible thinking after dying twice, visibly affected by New Orleans and Davina, looking out for Rebekah... Ultimately his interaction with Josh though, Kol not only let him live despite posing some risk because of Davina he aided his relationship. Significant not only for Kol's character and relationship with Davina but a stark comparison to Marcel biting Kol without hesitation.

I believe Klaus' non involvement is kept from Marcel a) because the siblings are finally trying to look out for each other and b) in the end it wasn't really about Davina, Marcel proved that time and time again when he let Rebekah live rather than 'honor' her memory. Which if you think about it is exactly what the Mikaelsons did; save Rebekah rather than the memory of Davina - sacrificing Davina was tragic but she was also already dead. Rebekah and Marcel got so close to pointing out the choice between Rebekah's life and Davina's resurrection that I've given up hope that Marcel will ever be brutally confronted with it.

Hallucinated Camille was hands down my favorite Cami and the best interaction between her and Klaus. I loved that Mikael's time with Papa Tundes blade of horror was brought up, since learning of the time skip I kept thinking what a blow to Klaus it must be to be incapacitated for years by something Mikael overcame in minutes. Klaus fearing he would ruin Hope because of the father Marcel abhors was heartbreaking if a very valid concern and brought me back to the premiere where Klaus learns his adopted son faked his death for a century to rule the city the same night Hayley's pregnancy was revealed.

I loved the bit where Hayley pleas for Hope's father and Marcel tells her Klaus as a father didn't do him any favors. I'll argue Klaus wasn't complete poison to Marcel any day but in my mind part of the reason he let Hayley flee NO so easily and guarded Klaus' blood was that he saw Hayley raising Hope as a way of saving his younger self.

I'm calling bull - left, right and bloody always when it comes to Marcel's nothing like a Mikaelson declarations, I don't think there's anything more Mikaelson than the way he took them down, even letting them leave was Mikaelson-esq. I'll happily leave him to that delusion (and that by them walking away a family is his victory) if it means Marcel is finally done preaching the Mikaelsons utterly dysfunctional love while expecting something purer toward himself and acting as if his actions -Mikael, faking his death, taking over the city etc- had nothing to do with the distance between them. Marcel might be proud not to be a Mikaelson but he's clearly still affected by it, Elijah alone is an open wound.

I'm morbidly curious if Vincent's involvement with the new darkness of New Orleans is attributed to Eva or if the man's past is just riddled with child sacrifice.

• Love 4

Call me sentimental but I thought the point of it all is that Marcel IS a Michaelson through and through.  Whatever his line of logic and the excuses that he tells himself, the real reason he didn't kill Klaus is because he can't bring himself to do so.  His rage toward the family isn't generic indignation over their various sins, it is his hurt feelings that they didn't save Davina (as in, do it for HIM) and that Elijah killed him and Klaus seemingly let him do it.

I think too much is made of his supposed love for and from Rebecca - which I just don't see.  Mostly it exemplifies his defiance toward Klaus and highlights their adversarial relationship, and ultimately it clouds his ability to see the love he has from Klaus.  Klaus DID want to save Davina, who he pretty much hated - for HIM.  Marcel is the only one of Bek's lovers to survive - because Klaus can't bring himself to kill him either.  Elijah killed him because he posed a true existential threat to the entire family (something that got both of their parents killed) but it broke him.  However for me the most powerful statement/proof was that Klaus told Hayley that losing Marcel felt to him like losing Hope.  Nobody questions Klaus's love for Hope, not even Marcel.  He needs to know that Klaus loves him that much.  I really hope (no pun intended) that this season isn't just about bringing the Originals back to NOLA, but about Marcel and Klaus recognizing what they mean to each other.

Edited by Timetoread
To add some thoughts.
  • Love 7

I loved Marcel telling off the Mikaelsons.  Yeah, they are going to win the end, but I am enjoying that their temporary defeat continues for a while longer. With all his flaws, New Orleans and human beings are better off with Marcel in charge and being more powerful than the Mikaelsons.  He has far more compassion (maybe because he was a powerless slave as a child) and does not engage in the wanton cruelty and violent that Klaus and his siblings frequently do. No doubt the Mikaelsons will end up victorious and Marcel dead or with a dagger in him, but these are good times indeed. 

• Love 2

I think a show's direction/producer(s)/writers are doing something right when they force me to not immediately pick a side when it comes to characters' motivations, actions, etc. With this show I can totally see why I'm supposed to hate say, Klaus, but still understand why he does/did the things he did, same with a character like Marcel, hating the Mikaelsons but pretty much acting very much (at times) like them. 

Loved Kol's interactions with Josh. Has Kol changed a little? Maybe. He actually allowed what Josh said about not ever forgetting Davina to sink in, sure he stole Josh's cell but then he caused Josh and um, his cute boyfriend whose name I've already forgotten, to reconnect at the end. 

Is this the last we've seen of Cami? Even as a figment of Klaus' imagination she annoys me. 

Any excuse to give more Vincent more to do, more screentime, I am for it. Finding out that something his ex wife did in the past has reared its ugly head and is the cause (I think?) of whatever is causing children to go missing was such a plus for me. 

19 hours ago, Timetoread said:

Call me sentimental but I thought the point of it all is that Marcel IS a Michaelson through and through.  Whatever his line of logic and the excuses that he tells himself, the real reason he didn't kill Klaus is because he can't bring himself to do so.  His rage toward the family isn't generic indignation over their various sins, it is his hurt feelings that they didn't save Davina (as in, do it for HIM) and that Elijah killed him and Klaus seemingly let him do it.

I think too much is made of his supposed love for and from Rebecca - which I just don't see.  Mostly it exemplifies his defiance toward Klaus and highlights their adversarial relationship, and ultimately it clouds his ability to see the love he has from Klaus.  Klaus DID want to save Davina, who he pretty much hated - for HIM.  Marcel is the only one of Bek's lovers to survive - because Klaus can't bring himself to kill him either.  Elijah killed him because he posed a true existential threat to the entire family (something that got both of their parents killed) but it broke him.  However for me the most powerful statement/proof was that Klaus told Hayley that losing Marcel felt to him like losing Hope.  Nobody questions Klaus's love for Hope, not even Marcel.  He needs to know that Klaus loves him that much.  I really hope (no pun intended) that this season isn't just about bringing the Originals back to NOLA, but about Marcel and Klaus recognizing what they mean to each other.

Their actions never invalidate the claim he's family. Even Marcel's death at Elijah's hands doesn't make him an outsider. When he though Klaus threw their siblings in the ocean Elijah was half way through ripping his heart out in revenge. Was Elijah killing Marcel after watching a prophecy where he decimated his family really any different? As for sacrificing Davina - the Mikaelsons save their own always & forever but the people they care about have never been off limits. They killed Kol's lover for their family as they would any one Freya, Klaus, Elijah, Rebekah or Hayley loved. Letting your sister die to bring your brother's girlfriend back to life is actually pretty monstrous. Marcel's offended and upset by this because he considered Davina family as well and I understand that but his expectation to have both the Mikaelsons and a witch he fashioned as their enemy (or anyone else at all) bothers me, its more than evident that loyalty in the Original family is all consuming he can't have both anymore than Hayley could with her wolves. It might not be right or fair but it's an indisputable fact, one that Hayley learned in 3 years so for Marcel to expect differently centuries into their relationship it's not equality he requires to feel like family but preferential treatment.

Marcel was patronized, betrayed and suffered Elijah's condensation alongside everyone else, he was burned from Mikaelson feuds whether he took part in them or not. He also imprisoned Elijah, sought to kill Klaus and used Rebekah. He fought with them, he loved them, he protected the vulnerable Hayley and Hope. Simply he's every bit as flawed as the family who raised him, and his place in the family just as convoluted and complex as the others. He saved any child he came upon yet cursed the wolves and enslaved the witches - a good man and a monster, he was a Mikaelson.

At the end of s3 the family finally came together recognizing each other as more important than any revenge, outsider, power or city and Marcel was the on the other side consumed by revenge and power showing everything he learned from the Mikaelsons as he waged war against them. Here every last Mikaelson stands united against him and Marcel takes this as a sign Klaus etc never saw him as family there's the reality that when facing prophetic demise it was Marcel was the only one unwilling to table their grievances for the sake of their family.

I do wish there was more of Marcel's past with them as a family rather than the romance with Rebekah because he's still so affected by his past with Klaus and Elijah. If nothing else Klaus' determination to keep Marcel human (regardless if he could have kept it) shows just how much he genuinely loved him.

• Love 3

Often the kid you don't get along with is the one the most like you.  I was watching a bit of Season 1 and it was clear that both Klaus and Elijah love Marcel.  Kol doesn't because he is jealous of Klaus' love for Marcel.  The thing with Marcel is that he himself instigates trouble with the family.  He got involved with Rebecca knowing Klaus would not approve.  He called Mikael.  He faked his death.  He claimed NOLA and fought them to keep it.  He sicked Davina on them and she nearly killed them.  It was them trying to save Davina by giving the witches their mother's power that got them nearly killed by her.  There's more- which of course culminated in the prophesies of him as the beast who annihilates the whole family.  But then he turns all hurt woobie when they play hardball with him.  The truth is that they have proven time and again how much they love him by simply not killing him.  Just last season Elijah gave him the Stricks. Even now Klaus described him as "behaving badly".  Not their sworn enemy but a wayward son.  I can guarantee that if Marcel would just chill, all would be forgiven.  

• Love 3
6 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I loved Marcel telling off the Mikaelsons.  Yeah, they are going to win the end, but I am enjoying that their temporary defeat continues for a while longer. With all his flaws, New Orleans and human beings are better off with Marcel in charge and being more powerful than the Mikaelsons.  He has far more compassion (maybe because he was a powerless slave as a child) and does not engage in the wanton cruelty and violent that Klaus and his siblings frequently do. No doubt the Mikaelsons will end up victorious and Marcel dead or with a dagger in him, but these are good times indeed. 

I disagree. The main theme of the show is family and how they shape you as a person. Klaus is, more or less, Marcel's father and a lot of things he does shoes that. I.E. making a spectacle of killing Jane Ann in season 1, latching onto Davina the way that he did, his constant monologue about how his father Klaus did him wrong, and the fact that he knew the Mikaelson's were alive this whole time and still did nothing about it. His relationship with Klaus right now (who, in all fairness, wasn't involved in any of the transgressions Marcel is currently punishing him for (the sacrifice of an already dead Davina/Marcel's "death") reads a lot like Klaus' and Elijah's when they were first introduced on TVD. Klaus blamed Elijah for a loss and he spent years (well, centuries) punishing him for it by making him think that all their siblings were truly dead. 

Besides, like the poster above me said, all of Marcel's issues with the originals was instigated by him. And Davina's ultimate demise was done because of her own actions (using Hayley to kill off Kara Winn and the other witches) and her relationship with Marcel. Heck, the ancestors only went after Kol because of his relationship with Davina.

Off topic, will Marcel's bite even kill Klaus? Klaus is a hybrid and has never been affected by werewolf venom (even before, right?), so why would Marcel's uber strain do anything to him? It makes sense that it would kill his siblings (even though werewolf venom can't kill them, they still suffer the side effects), but not Klaus 

Edited by Gwen-Stacys
  • Love 3

I can guarantee that if Marcel would just chill, all would be forgiven.  

Heh, this applies to most of Klaus's time too. He loves talking about how his enemies are against him, conveniently leaving out the fact that these people didn't know him from Adam until he slaughtered their families/villages. If someone had done the same to him, he would be swearing vengeance too. But instead of admitting that any of his enemies have a valid reason for wanting revenge, he plays the victim, whining and yelling about how he's beset on all sides without ever acknowledging that he is architect of his ever growing legion of enemies. He kills entire families and then asks how dare the surviving relatives attempt to rise up against him, as if they did so with absolutely no logical reason. 

• Love 2
On 3/26/2017 at 4:37 PM, Gwen-Stacys said:

Off topic, will Marcel's bite even kill Klaus? Klaus is a hybrid and has never been affected by werewolf venom (even before, right?), so why would Marcel's uber strain do anything to him? It makes sense that it would kill his siblings (even though werewolf venom can't kill them, they still suffer the side effects), but not Klaus 

I've spent a stupid amount of time trying to figure out if Marcel's bite is hybrid lethal. Klaus' immunity to wolf venom comes from being a hybrid not an Original (Hayley is equally unaffected) so logically 7 strains of venom that naturally don't affect them shouldn't make a difference. Except that Lucien's lab shows that he didn't simply mix the venom he ensured that Klaus' blood and whatever cure he used on Jackson's bite wouldn't work - I think if Finn had been bitten by a wolf from each pack it wouldn't have been lethal. Whatever Lucien's motive was bet it power or revenge he'd end up against the Mikaelsons and Klaus in particular plus the Ancestors backed him because he could eradicate the Originals so there's probably something wolf lethal in the venom that would work on Klaus.

• Love 1