Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Playing With Fire

PinkRibbons

NOTE: Reign airs on Thursdays in Canada, meaning that the episodes are very often viewed a day before they have aired in the US. Therefore please be aware that this thread will almost definitely have spoilers for those who wish to wait until Friday night to view the new episode.

Lord Darnley surprises Mary with a visit to Scotland, which allows her to see more to their union than just a political bond. Meanwhile, Elizabeth attempts to acquire allies; and Catherine wants Claude to focus on securing a new husband.

I never liked Claude and Leith as a couple, it always reeked of "pair the spares" and I never bought it. I like her a lot better with Narcisse Jr. and hope she never even knows Leith survived. Meanwhile I suspect Leith is headed to Scotland, and I don't know how I feel about that. Sounds like Castleroy isn't long for this world which is a shame, but Leith was only interesting to me when paired with Greer, so who knows how that all will shake out?

Props to the actress, I don't think anyone else could have pulled off that wedding dress, but I loved it. And I think Claude stands a very good chance at happiness. I hope Narcisse Jr. has inherited his father's tendency towards kind treatment of his wives. I loved Catherine giving her an out just in case, but I hope she doesn't need it.

Leeza, where the hell do you get off saying that Claude was so loved? She was sent away from court at the first opportunity because Catherine couldn't stand the sight of her after the twins' deaths. Yeesh.

Literally the second that second fire broke out I knew Darnley had set it. Maybe it being so obvious is why they revealed it now, because story-wise it makes a lot more sense for Mary to find out later she's already married. She's already made and broken two engagements (or even four if you count the waffling back and forth from Francis to Bash and back again), this is hardly the point of no return. I wish they had tried a little harder with selling Darnley as an actual dreamboat.

I know that they are deliberately contrasting Elizabeth and Mary's worlds and the queens looks together with that, with Scotland being wilder and messier than England's perfectly polished look. That however does sort of nag at me since from what I've read, Elizabeth seemed way more likely to go frolicking in the mud than Mary. I've always had the impression of (the real, historical) Elizabeth as Tomboy to Mary's Girly-Girl. Then again I don't actually know how outdoorsy Mary was, so there's a good chance I'm wrong about that.

I know they've probably already shot the entire season, but I hope someone does better with Rachel Skarsten's wig in later episodes. She needs more body in her updo; I think what she's wearing now is really unflattering to her face. Actually I would prefer they had her wear her hair down more, since Elizabeth I was known to do so as a sign of her virginity.

Glad to know that Charles's little friend survived her time with him, but good gravy, was he out somewhere french-kissing a bucket of blood? And throwing down his mother? Not cool. Very not cool. Catherine should get out that coma-potion she once prepared for Henry and seize the regency back. And/or send Charles to wherever Nostradamus is to actually help him.

• Love 2
(edited)

I am going to have to come up with some new and creative ways to express my dislike for Mary.  LOL She is sooooo sickening.  I rolled my eyes at all of her scenes with Darnley.  I still don't like how they traded a real love interest (Darnley) for a fictional one (Gideon).  From what I've read, RL Mary was quite taken with Darnley and was excited to marry him.  Things didn't sour between them until after they were married. It really bothers me that the writers keep creating pretenders for Mary's heart when the real ones will do just fine.  By all accounts, RL Mary was outdoorsy as a young woman. She liked to ride and hunt, but she was also girly and liked the trappings she'd grown up with at the French court.  I was really surprised to see Leith.  I truly thought he'd been written off.  And while I liked him and Claude together, Claude and Narcisse Jr. have nice chemistry, so Leith might be odd man out again.  For the life of me, I don't understand the writing (or thinking) for the final season.  Why are they cluttering up the landscape with Leeza? What is wrong with Charles?  What is the point in marrying Claude to Jr? Is Catherine going to get control of France or are they just going to keep running the Valois court into the ground?  I don't care about James because he's not being used well, and I don't need to see gratuitous shirtless scenes with him.  The political intrigue isn't engaging or interesting. Whatever happened to Elizabeth's advisors?  Why is dull Gideon suddenly her right hand man? Why are we getting more sick child drama? The actress playing Leeza is shrill and unattractive. And I still don't like Greer.  They only got two things right IMO.  First thing.  Kudos for getting an actor who resembled Craig Parker to play his son.  Second thing.  I wouldn't have chosen Claude's wedding gown, but she looked stunning in it.    

Edited by taurusrose
Add more comments
  • Love 2

I like Narcisse Jr. He and Claude seem like they're a good fit because he's probably a little shady also.  Narcisse Sr. must have a plan for taking over France or something that has to do with his son marrying into the Royal family.   

• Love 2
12 hours ago, taurusrose said:

Kudos for getting an actor who resembled Craig Parker to play his son.

That was the first thing I thought when Luc appeared.  I love Steve Lund anyways because he was so hot as Nick in "Bitten."

The dresses Mary and Greer were wearing at the end when Mary got the burnt wood were divine.

I know less than nothing of the history of Mary and Elizabeth so I just watch for the story, heh.  Also Catherine because Megan rules.

• Love 2
On 3/3/2017 at 11:14 PM, taurusrose said:

Kudos for getting an actor who resembled Craig Parker to play his son.

He even sounds like him!  Claude and Leith were cute, but Narcisse Jr. is a tall drink of water so I'm happy with this pairing.

On 3/3/2017 at 11:14 PM, taurusrose said:

I don't need to see gratuitous shirtless scenes with him.

Oh, but I do!  Good lord he's sexy.  I laughed with delight when he whipped that shirt off.  That's the CW I know and love.  Also more charged glances between him and Mary.  Too bad they couldn't have cast him as Darnley or Bothwell.  

Considering the need to speed up the timeline, I don't mind Mary's already weary of Darnley and his BS.  Reading the history it came off to me that Mary was in lust with him rather than love, which made sense as she would have been a virgin for her 2nd husband, and that's not really an issue in the CW-verse.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, megsara said:

I laughed with delight when he whipped that shirt off.  That's the CW I know and love.

I laughed because it was so ridiculous. I miss that ridiculousness from the early episodes. The show hasn't been that funny in forever. I felt uncomfortable because hot shirtless brother shares very unbrotherly chemistry with Mary. They would have totally had crazy we-almost-died-in-a-fire sex if they weren't siblings.

On 3/3/2017 at 10:14 PM, taurusrose said:

I am going to have to come up with some new and creative ways to express my dislike for Mary.  LOL She is sooooo sickening.  I rolled my eyes at all of her scenes with Darnley.

I can't get excited about her with anybody. Her characterization has been all over the place (I am obviously still not over how the third season opened as though her relationship with Francis was magical golden happiness when she had been so awful in season 2). They're really going to have to power through the love interests.

On 3/3/2017 at 7:22 PM, PinkRibbons said:

Catherine should get out that coma-potion she once prepared for Henry and seize the regency back. And/or send Charles to wherever Nostradamus is to actually help him.

I would be more invested in this crazy if it didn't feel like a bit of a retread of Henri mixed with some PTSD Olivia. I got a bit excited when the promo for this episode had "necrophilia" in it. I thought, "OH MY GOSH IS THE CW REALLY GOING THERE?" I mean, of course they can't, but for a second I got a taste of HBO's Reign. 

2 hours ago, Allie56 said:

I can't get excited about her with anybody. Her characterization has been all over the place (I am obviously still not over how the third season opened as though her relationship with Francis was magical golden happiness when she had been so awful in season 2). They're really going to have to power through the love interests.

This.  They destroyed Mary for me in S2.  I literally wanted to punch her in the face for most of it and I never recovered.  Regarding James, I think the direction to the actor playing him is ridiculous.  He comes across as smug and smarmy IMO, so I can't take him seriously and I don't find those traits attractive, so he can keep his shirt on as far as I'm concerned.  

• Love 1

Catching up this evening, and I loved the silliness of vampire Charles. Guess they felt they needed an emo king. Glad Leith did survive and glad it's too late for him and Claude, because that was a pointless courtship. Surprised the Crown Matrimonial came up already! I am at a loss to guess how they will end the series, how fast it will fly down Mary's timeline.

James is the hottest man on this show for sure. Also, I can't even remember if Bash died along the way...I may not be the most fervent viewer.