Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
CuriousParker

Medium

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

I wish this forum wasn't empty. I'm watching this again, thanks to Amazon Prime. 

I remember how annoyed by Allison, people over at TWOP would get, almost every week. I didn't understand that: I love the family life, and like Joe, but he annoyed me more than Allison did. 

• Like 4

Yay! Another Medium fan! For a little while the show was recently on the Pop network early Sunday afternoons until they decided Ghost Whisperer had more retro chic cachet and stopped running it somewhere around the end of the first season's episodes.

I vaguely remember the annoyance but I also remember that lots of posters appreciated how realistic Allison's family life was compared to many other shows, so we're not alone in that.

What I didn't remember was how annoying Bridget was. Either that or I've changed and no longer see "relentlessly quirky and self-absorbed" as cute. Could go either way...

• Like 1

On 8/1/2017 at 9:07 PM, CoderLady said:

Yay! Another Medium fan! For a little while the show was recently on the Pop network early Sunday afternoons until they decided Ghost Whisperer had more retro chic cachet and stopped running it somewhere around the end of the first season's episodes.

I vaguely remember the annoyance but I also remember that lots of posters appreciated how realistic Allison's family life was compared to many other shows, so we're not alone in that.

What I didn't remember was how annoying Bridget was. Either that or I've changed and no longer see "relentlessly quirky and self-absorbed" as cute. Could go either way...

I think Bridget is my favourite of the kids. :) Maybe because I'm the annoying one at times, in my family. 

• Like 1

I never understood season 4 where Devalos lost his job. That's not possible as he is an elected official. He didn't do anything illegal or unethical. Makes no sense. It also annoys me that no matter how many times Allison is right, people doubt her.  

But I do love the show

These episodes are running on an OTA station for me. I thought I'd be able to get over the things that bugged the crap out of me the first time around: the child actress Maria Lark (Bridgette)'s inability to say a line without breaking it up for gasping breaths in the middle of it, and Patricia Arquette's inability to say the second "t" in "districT attorney," but nope. Even years later, I can't get past it. Why did they keep writing "district attorney" in Patricia Arquette's lines, when she couldn't say it? It's not "distric-attorney," for goodness' sake. 

Edited by Mystery
  • Like 2

Been watching on StartTV...new network (I think?)...Bridget is fine with me, but the one I do find annoying is Ariel. And it's not her fault...I blame the writers, who almost always make the oldest girl a snarky, sullen little witch.

On 9/23/2018 at 12:01 PM, Kimmmmmm said:

I blame the writers, who almost always make the oldest girl a snarky, sullen little witch.

In other words, a teenager.   As the oldest, Ariel was most often the babysitter, and the one who picked up the slack at home when her parents where off pushing along the plot points for the episode.  I thought that was a good enough reason for the character to be a little sullen.

I was never a Bridget fan.  That character seemed to be annoying for no good reason.  I remember some interviews with Maria Lark (the kid who played Bridget) when the show was ending, and she said she really had no interest in continuing to act.   Which I thought was a good thing.  

Like most young children on television, the youngest daughter (Marie) was cast with twins, to circumvent child labor laws.  And, as in most cases, the only acting talent she brought to the role was being a twin.  

I remember I liked this show for the realism in the writing of Joe and Allison as a couple.  The issues they faced, their arguments.   I liked Devalos and Scanlon and the way they gradually came to understand what Allison did, but never really lost their skepticism.  I didn't like Lynn DiNovi, since it was so obvious that the role was shoe horned in to give a job to Glenn Caron's wife.

But I'm glad for the reruns.   With all of the stations that show "classic" dramas, I feel like I can time-travel back to the 80s or 90s whenever I want to.

• Like 1

I really liked this show, too. I just wish I could forget the last episodes and especially the series finale.

I should have known that when the show moved over to CBS that I wasn't going to like it as much. For some reason, I have generally preferred shows on ABC and especially NBC to shows on CBS. It's some kind of vibe or style or the kind of characters, but it's almost always the other network shows I like better. Crossing Jordan (loved that show) over CSI, Law and Order over NCIS, and Siberia (obscure reference, I know) and Lost over Under the Dome.

I'm not sure what the goal of the finale was, but it annoyed me that it changed the entire history of the show - there had been previous mentions to things that would happen in the future - just to have some sappy plot about how Joe waited in heaven for Allison for years... and somehow this was supposed to be uplifting rather than sad that Allison - and their children - had to spend much of their lives without their husband and father.

I really wish I could go back to watching this show now that it is in reruns, but that annoying finale left a bad impression I have a hard time shaking.

• Like 3

On 10/3/2018 at 11:03 AM, Mermaid Under said:

In other words, a teenager.   As the oldest, Ariel was most often the babysitter, and the one who picked up the slack at home when her parents where off pushing along the plot points for the episode.  I thought that was a good enough reason for the character to be a little sullen.

I was never a Bridget fan.  That character seemed to be annoying for no good reason.  I remember some interviews with Maria Lark (the kid who played Bridget) when the show was ending, and she said she really had no interest in continuing to act.   Which I thought was a good thing.  

Like most young children on television, the youngest daughter (Marie) was cast with twins, to circumvent child labor laws.  And, as in most cases, the only acting talent she brought to the role was being a twin.  

I remember I liked this show for the realism in the writing of Joe and Allison as a couple.  The issues they faced, their arguments.   I liked Devalos and Scanlon and the way they gradually came to understand what Allison did, but never really lost their skepticism.  I didn't like Lynn DiNovi, since it was so obvious that the role was shoe horned in to give a job to Glenn Caron's wife.

But I'm glad for the reruns.   With all of the stations that show "classic" dramas, I feel like I can time-travel back to the 80s or 90s whenever I want to.

YES..to what you said about the Lynn DiNovi character...i can think of few, if any actors with less charisma...besides the marriage connection,  i can think of no other reason for her presence on this show