Type keyword(s) to search

Anne-ticipation: Waiting for "Anne"

4 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

Are you excitedly, anxiously, or nervously waiting for "Anne"?  Discuss here!

The 15-second clip on the CBC website looks all right. No major red flags IMO. However I have been looking a bit askance at the advance hype pointing out that it's going to be a darker take than usual. If that means no slapstick, great! But if it is utterly humorless, ugh.

• Love 2

There are also some 

Spoiler

newly invented characters.  

To me, the 15 second clip did have a major red flag, which was the way in which Anne said it's so easy to love Green Gables.  That did not feel like Anne to me at all.

This is meant to be a full-fledged TV show, right? Not a TV film or miniseries?

In that case....

Spoiler

I completely understand why they would invent new storylines and characters. The novel would not be able to withstand the breadth of a TV series with any believable time line. There are entire months of Anne's life that LMM covers with only a few paragraphs of description. As long as the newly invented stuff is there to serve the plot of the novel and not the other way around, and as long as what they invent sounds plausible for the world built in the novel, I've no issues with it.

As a huge fan of the 1985 Megan Follows adaptation, I'm genuinely curious to see this new interpretation.  From the ads that I've seen, it looks like they found an actress who suits the part.  I've always adored the Anne books, and I truly doubt anything will out-do the Megan Follows version (in my opinion), but it's always interesting to see a fresh take on the story.  I'm glad that a new version has been made; it's a classic Canadian story and hopefully this will attract a new generation of readers to the books.

• Love 3

Hey all!  As this season has ended in Canada, it is natural (and welcome) for viewers to want to speculate about what will happen in the second season.  However, it has not yet aired in the US and US viewers may come to this thread to share their anticipation for the first season and be inadvertently spoiled.  With that it mind, there is now the Anne of the Future: Speculation thread.  I would ask you to take season 2 chat over to that thread.

Many thanks from the mods!

• Love 3

This short article from the NYT, I think, reveals a lot. 

The book hints at her pre-Green Gables life at her various nannying jobs/foster homes being relatively abusive - neglectful, not loving, not enough to eat - but doesn't flesh it out in any meaningful way. I'm interested to see how this version tackles that.

• Love 1

I hope Anne fans will start watching the series this weekend.  I am assuming most people aren't able to watch it during the day, but I hope we will see a spike in discussion after tonight.  Hopefully, there will be enough viewers to get us a Season 2.

Does anyone know IF the show will ever drop on Netflix in Canada?  I mean, the show is still available on CBC.ca, so I assume it won't be any time soon....

Give some predictions for the next season 3, for Anne with an E.

There seems to be a setup from season 1 and S2 where Josie Pye already got her period and her bosoms are growing and she wants to be so mature in S1.  Then in S2 Josie flirts with Cole and later she sends a secret written message over to Billy Andrews, so I suspect that Josie will turn up pregnant in S3, and Billy's family will not be happy about it. Then of course Anne will get right in the middle of the entire drama, probably with Ms Stacy involved too.

So does anyone else have a prediction for S3 ?

• Love 1

Hmmm. Hard to say. I wonder if they'll jump ahead to Anne's Queens days. I hope so because I'd love to see Priscilla and Stella, who haven't made it into any adaptations. That gives the latter of Season 3 or even Season 4 to show Anne teaching.

4 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

Hmmm. Hard to say. I wonder if they'll jump ahead to Anne's Queens days. I hope so because I'd love to see Priscilla and Stella, who haven't made it into any adaptations. That gives the latter of Season 3 or even Season 4 to show Anne teaching.

I would love to see Priscilla and Stella... I expected them to show up in the Martin Sheen movies (the third one), since that production seemed to use a bit more from the books.  Though that was so poorly made... even Aunt Josephine and Miss Stacey had no personality, so I can imagine Priscilla and Stella would have as much personality as cardboard in the Martin Sheen one.

I don't think the writers will be ready to leave Avonlea yet, so I think Anne will still be in Avonlea in Season 3 and 4.  There are number of "iconic" moments from the book they haven't used yet.  I'm not sure they will show Anne teaching.  It seems like Miss Stacey has Anne's personality and is sort of showing what Anne would be like as a teacher.

If/when they do get to Queens, I have a feeling they will leave out Priscilla and Stella in favor of using the characters they already have like Ruby, Jane, etc.

I vaguely remember the showrunner saying she had a 5-year plan.  I'm wondering if they will kill Matthew off in the Season 4 finale, or halfway through the fifth and final season.  

Edited by Camera One