Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Lions in Winter

The old man was talking to the dog. There is no on screen reason for the girl being that "frightened." That sort of thing is usually regarded as friendly. Also, her alleged lack of control is not so obvious to me. The house rotating changed my mind on that point. There are some people who think an old man shouldn't be speaking to a little girl who isn't a relative, of course. By that view, Leith/Sylvie's terror was perfectly rational and the man's death was not only justifiable, but laudable, not slaughter. Langwidere doesn't agree but she's not magic, so her opinion doesn't really count...unless her attack on the Wizard has redeemed her from Daddy's girl syndrome. Dorothy has magic hands, so her opinion does count, and she thinks Leith/Sylvie can do no wrong and everybody who thinks differently is evil. (By the way, Jane gave up science in favor of steampunk magic gear hearts and so on, which is cool precisely because it doesn't look like real science/technology. Which explains why she's so lovable despite making slaves for Langwidere.) 

The show is determined to say witches are the best. A junkie madam has been rehabilitated. The plot is even starting to make Mombi look good. But what's on screen isn't really making them look good. 

3 hours ago, sjohnson said:

The old man was talking to the dog. There is no on screen reason for the girl being that "frightened." That sort of thing is usually regarded as friendly.

That logic might be fair if Sylvie were a normal girl, and not someone who has had to spend part of her life in hiding lest she be killed.  With that kind of trauma (and probably poor socialization), I don't think it's so far fetched for her to be irrationally frightened by seemingly normal interactions with strangers. Sylvie was alone without the people she was used to relying on protection when she encountered the King, and she was hiding in the Wizard's city right as his soldiers were hunting for her.  It doesn't seem so strange to me that she might have gotten scared under those circumstances by a close encounter with a stranger.  

• Love 7

It didn't help that Toto was barking at the King. The King's death was sad and tragic but, that doesn't negate that Sylvie is still a messed up child who doesn't have full control of her powers.  Hell, I half expected Sylvie to turn the other witches to stone because they were being mean to her.

Ultimately I think there are 2 villains in this show and they are The Wizard and Glinda. They are two halves of the same coin science vs magic for control of Oz everyone else be dammed! For them it's as much about their ideology as it is about their egos/self identity.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4

Nobody in the show who counts thinks the king's death was sad and tragic. Nor was Leith/Sylvie ever in hiding to save her life, she was hidden as Glinda's secret weapon. The massive harm to witches came with that huge green wave and Glinda's training program, or at least that's pretty much all that's been on screen. And it's hard to see how she's been terrorized when she's been hidden? The soldiers she didn't see scared her how?

9 hours ago, sjohnson said:

Nobody in the show who counts thinks the king's death was sad and tragic. Nor was Leith/Sylvie ever in hiding to save her life, she was hidden as Glinda's secret weapon. The massive harm to witches came with that huge green wave and Glinda's training program, or at least that's pretty much all that's been on screen. And it's hard to see how she's been terrorized when she's been hidden? The soldiers she didn't see scared her how?

She was hidden as Glinda's secret weapon, but there were people who were after her, that is why she and the other girls Lucas was transporting ran away. She likely witnessed some of the killing that went on that day. Since then, we've seen Sylvie be scared by pretty much everything.  She jumps every time she hears a noise, to the degree that she had to wear earplugs. There was also that couple that pretended to be her parents and take her to a strange home....who knows what happened there before she stoned them. Plus just being left on her own so much is probably frightening to a kid her age who hadn't been in the city before. She looked completely terrified in that scene where Dorothy found her next to the stoned king (or did Lucas find her?). She could barely move because she was shaking from the whole experience.

No one on the show but Dorothy actually knows the circumstances of the king's death. They just know he was turned to stone by a witch and think it was an intentional attack. If they knew he was turned to stone by a little girl who was traumatized and can't control her powers, they may think differently. Not Ev, certainly, but people at a more objective POV. I'm not saying that makes what happened justified, but it seems like a tragic accident to me.

• Love 5

Wizard: "Do you have the guns ready?"

Captain of the Guards: "Yes, we do. Here, let us give you a demonstration."

I can only imagine that the Wizard expected to arrive early, to oversee (with his troops), and perhaps assist with the final construction of the rifles. Langwidere in her grief and determination, stepped up production to finish before he arrived. Things look bleak for the Wizard (as if he'd die), but maybe Jane will somehow be the key to his survival. Or maybe Jack, who doesn't know the full story here, will somehow save the Wizard in return for helping to find Tip or something.

I have to believe that at some point we'll have Dorothy, Lucas, Jack, and Eamonn all as a group. Although I guess they won't be taking out West at the behest of Glinda or the Wizard anytime soon. Maybe Ozma will take over the position as Cardinal Witch of the West, now that Dorothy appears to have East's gauntlets and there may or may not be an opening on that point of the compass.

On 2/20/2017 at 9:23 AM, Morrigan2575 said:

I half expected Sylvie to turn the other witches to stone because they were being mean to her.

Me too.

We heard, in the story of the Prison of OogyMire (whatevs, it seems to have been forgotten, again) that a witch who cast a spell is the only one who can undo it.  I'm wondering if Leith can be taught to "unstone" someone or something.  (And shouldn't Langwidere have instituted a major search, in case Daddy could be unstoned?

On 2/20/2017 at 11:01 AM, sjohnson said:

Nobody in the show who counts thinks the king's death was sad and tragic.

Other than his daughter?  And possibly the denizens of Ev.

On 2/20/2017 at 8:52 PM, KaveDweller said:

It seems like a tragic accident to me.

That's why I can't get behind "slaughtered".

• Love 1
On February 20, 2017 at 9:23 AM, Morrigan2575 said:

Ultimately I think there are 2 villains in this show and they are The Wizard and Glinda. They are two halves of the same coin science vs magic for control of Oz everyone else be dammed! For them it's as much about their ideology as it is about their egos/self identity.

Yes, eight episodes in, and I am in this camp too. Both want total control. And each is willing to sacrifice many to win.

17 hours ago, Tim Thomason said:

I have to believe that at some point we'll have Dorothy, Lucas, Jack, and Eamonn all as a group. Although I guess they won't be taking out West at the behest of Glinda or the Wizard anytime soon. Maybe Ozma will take over the position as Cardinal Witch of the West, now that Dorothy appears to have East's gauntlets and there may or may not be an opening on that point of the compass.

My guess is that they meet up at the finale while we wait for news of a second season.

• Love 2