Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E17: Denzel Washington, Jamie Dornan, Keanu Reeves, Whoopi Goldberg, Rag'n'Bone Man

• Start Topic

On Graham's sofa are Oscar winner Denzel Washington, appearing in Fences, Fifty Shades star Jamie Dornan, Hollywood great Keanu Reeves, starring in John Wick: Chapter 2, and legendary comedian and actress Whoopi Goldberg. With music from Rag'n'Bone Man, who performs Human.

That could have been worse!  Dornan blushed adorably. Keanu decided to Activate his Convivial Setting, Whoopi told fart jokes, Denzel is always fun on the couch, the song was good, and the chair flipped for birthday bragging!

I do have to quibble with Whoopi. Back in the 90s, she did a movie called Moonlight and Valentino, in which her character was married/living with Ted Danson, and they had some bedroom shenanigans to play. Granted, it wasn't in the same league 'sex scene' as we normally think, but I distinctly remember TD painting her ass with edible paint. Maybe because she became involved with TD, she has mentally conflated the scene with their real love life?

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, maraleia said:

Denzel moving to the other end of the couch so the singer could sit closer to Graham was so damn classy and cool. This is why he's so respected in Hollywood.

I agree.  At first, I thought he didn't know how it's supposed to work, but remembered he's been on the show before. 

Why does he look so different to me?  I don't see many movies he's in, so I haven't really tracked him as he's aged.  Although I did see Fences.  His hair is back to black now, but longer.  Is that what's throwing me off?  Or is the extra weight he's carrying (for Fences?) making his face look different?  It's as if his eyes have moved more to the sides of his head.

I don't see much of Whoopi, either (never watched The View), but realized that she's about the same age I am (Steely Dan tipped me off, so I looked it up), and I'm also going through the "Who are all these old people around?" process.  So that was relatable.  The fart jokes, not so much.  But she seemed to enjoy being there, which always makes me enjoy the show more.

ETA:  Is is really possible that Denzel didn't remember that he presented Whoopi with her Oscar?  That's the sign of a guy with a lot of impressive things to remember, if that one slips off the bottom. 

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 1

I think Denzel just looked different because of the weight gain. 

On 2/26/2017 at 7:31 AM, fastiller said:

If you're a fan of Keanu Reeves, I recommend this from Esquire UK: The Esquire Interview: Keanu Reeves.  Interesting.

Thanks. I'll read that later. It was surprising how talkative and jovial Keanu was. I wasn't expecting that. I'd heard the meaning of his name before, but how great was it that it fit so well into Whoopi's name origin story.

ETA: I read the article. Very good. Also, I was unaware of the Sad Keanu meme, so I spent some time looking at a few. Cracked me up.

Edited by peeayebee
read article
  • Love 5

Jamie Dornan is so charming on the show, and he's such a dud in the 50 Shades movies. And he knew what he was getting into with those, so no sympathy. I do enjoy him in The Fall, where he doesn't seem mortified in every frame.

For a change, I really liked the song. The bass line was tremendous.

• Love 1

I'd forgotten that DW and KR had done Much Ado together. That was a long time ago. I really recommend that if you've never seen it. Denzel does the bard's text with such ease, grace, and warmth, it's delightful. If I were Emma-as-Beatrice, I'd totally take him over KB! And then there are the leather pants, which? Ohhhhhh. Words just can't.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, attica said:

I'd forgotten that DW and KR had done Much Ado together. That was a long time ago. I really recommend that if you've never seen it. Denzel does the bard's text with such ease, grace, and warmth, it's delightful. If I were Emma-as-Beatrice, I'd totally take him over KB! And then there are the leather pants, which? Ohhhhhh. Words just can't.

I remember seeing this in the theatre and when Keanu said, "I'm a man of few words" the audience applauded.

• Love 6