Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Past, Prologue & What’s to Come

CooperTV

145556_0062_FULL.jpg

Hayes revisits the failed case of Gerald Harris from her days as a defense attorney – the very case where she met Wallace nearly a decade earlier. Harris was found guilty of murdering his wife despite Hayes’ belief in his innocence due to Wallace unearthing Gerald’s darkest secret. Meanwhile, a member of the CIU team is forced to revisit their illicit actions in the controversial Rodney Landon case. In the end, Hayes and Wallace’s future, as well as that of the CIU team, hang in the balance.

Promos

So, not only was Hayes' first trial case ever a wrongfully convicted one, it wasn't even murder: just the most bizarre, wacky accident, combined with bias against Duck Phillips.... I mean, Mark Moses' character for being gay.  I can actually buy the second part.  Great seeing both Moses and Rob Stewart, who both appeared in SyFy's Incorporated this year.

Meanwhile, Sam's past actions come back to haunt him, as the Rodney guy he set up to remain in prison convinces the inmate who stabbed him to name Sam for the whole "snitch" thing.  But Hayes is able to convince the judge not to let the inmate testified.  Still, Wallace thinks Sam is a liability, and wants him gone.  So, Hayes.... makes out with Sam in front of Wallace and a janitor, so now he can't be fired, or they risk a sexual harassment suit.  Alrighty, then.  If this show were the continue, I'm guessing this would have not only have set Hayes and Wallace's relationship back by a lot, but might have even started something between her and Sam; at least on Sam's end.

The other three team members didn't do much, although Frankie and Tess' tests with the dummies was strangely gross and hilarious.

Judging from the ratings and the lack of fanfare, I don't see ABC bringing this back.  Hopefully, Hayley Atwell won't be gone from TV for long. Hey, Doctor Who is going to be having a major void soon!  Or maybe ABC will revive Agent Carter.  Or at least make a TV movie.  I can hope! 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

So, not only was Hayes' first trial case ever a wrongfully convicted one, it wasn't even murder: just the most bizarre, wacky accident, combined with bias against Duck Phillips.... I mean, Mark Moses' character for being gay.  I can actually buy the second part.  Great seeing both Moses and Rob Stewart, who both appeared in SyFy's Incorporated this year.

Meanwhile, Sam's past actions come back to haunt him, as the Rodney guy he set up to remain in prison convinces the inmate who stabbed him to name Sam for the whole "snitch" thing.  But Hayes is able to convince the judge not to let the inmate testified.  Still, Wallace thinks Sam is a liability, and wants him gone.  So, Hayes.... makes out with Sam in front of Wallace and a janitor, so now he can't be fired, or they risk a sexual harassment suit.  Alrighty, then.  If this show were the continue, I'm guessing this would have not only have set Hayes and Wallace's relationship back by a lot, but might have even started something between her and Sam; at least on Sam's end.

The other three team members didn't do much, although Frankie and Tess' tests with the dummies was strangely gross and hilarious.

Judging from the ratings and the lack of fanfare, I don't see ABC bringing this back.  Hopefully, Hayley Atwell won't be gone from TV for long. Hey, Doctor Who is going to be having a major void soon!  Or maybe ABC will revive Agent Carter.  Or at least make a TV movie.  I can hope! 

It certainly a wacky case and I knew Hayes would pull something like that at the end.

• Love 1

I didn't understand the neck bruises either. I don't think they explained that part well. Were we supposed to believe it was part of their "unusual" sexual arrangements and not part of her death, since the death was due to a separate matter (the heart attack)?

I was surprised by the kiss between Hayes and Sam - that completely threw me because he didn't seem like someone she'd be interested in. I guess her setting up the scene so that Sam can't get fired makes sense, at least to Hayes' warped brain, and also because she has this "talent" for ruining the good things in her life so her doing this and not being particularly apologetic about it to Wallace made sense too.

But I agree that if the series were to continue, I can see the incident creating a big problem for Hayes and Wallace (and possibly some awkwardness between Hayes and Sam). But I was glad to see her fight for him to keep his job, and I think part of the reason she decided to was because Sam dug in with the case when everyone else was ready to call it quits, and Hayes probably appreciated that support.

So, is this the final episode of the series, or has it been officially decided one way or another yet?

Wikipedia:   On November 8, 2016, ABC announced there would be no back-order for more than the thirteen contracted episodes;[5] however, the remaining episodes of the season aired until its conclusion on January 29, 2017.

Which would imply it's done.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 2017-02-04 at 2:22 PM, mansonlamps said:

I don't get the point of bringing out the neck bruises.  If she had a heart attack, they were never even explained.

I didn't see how they fit in, either. I don't think they were indirect evidence of how she fell over the railing backwards, but I think they were a symptom of the tearing of the aorta that led to the massive heart attack? Frankie said it was the petechiae that led him to dig deeper.

Edited by Sandman

Too much of this series was just sloppy in so many ways.  Not only were the neck bruises not explained, how could they possible still be there after eight years underground?

I understand why Hayes kissed Sam, but why didn't she explain to Wallace why she did it?  That's one of the least engaging ships on TV.  Neither Hayes nor Wallace did the little looks or longing that tells the audience that these people really love each other.  Or are even interested in each other.  I don't know if it was the actors or the direction but it seemed they were people who just hooked up

I'm not upset that it was cancelled.