Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: New Evidence / S01.E02: Follow The Blood

The premiere of the documentary series about the 1994 murders of O.J. Simpson's ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ron Goldman, features interviews with members Tanya Brown and Fred Goldman; and an inspection of a knife that coule be the murder weapon.

Old and new evidence raises doubts about Simpson's role in the crime. Included: insights from Dr. Henry Lee, a forensics expert involved in the original investigation.

This statement made my week:

Perhaps it's because I went in with turdly expectations

Also, thanks for identifying Derrick Levasseur who reminds me of the guy on the left in this cartoon:

90gaijalgaliug.jpg

I had no idea who Derrick Levasseur was before this show, and, hopefully, will never have to hear or see him afterwards again. He must be the head of the Bro-micide Department in Rhode Island because his whole shtick reminded me of a frat boy ready to riot after a win by his school's football team. Jesus. Could they not find a dimmer more arrogant asshole to host this show? He acted like he personally went out and did all this investigation himself (along with the other guy whose name I can't be bothered to remember) when, if fact, he was acted more like a skeptical Ryan Seacrest. I laughed out loud with his, "This could be huge!" exclamation nearly every five seconds. And then when he claimed "This [murder] could finally be solved!" LOL! Yeah, finally we'll have some closure on a case that was put to rest twenty years ago. 

I think it was the second episode where the actual "investigator" was claiming, "Why did Jason go from a white hat to a blue hat?" Oh, yeah...there's a mystery that needs some solving, Sherlock Holmes! I can't imagine some kid who liked to wear skull caps actually having more than one ... please tell me more

Also a big LOL when he and his buddy rolled up to the house on Bundy Drive to survey the scene ... even though the original house had been razed years ago and acted like they were visiting the Ark of the Covenant. 

This show is ridiculous. 

I didn't mind Derrick so much, but I agree that he's a bit too quick to just accept what the person in front of him is asserting.  I guess that's just his role here as sponge: to take in whatever the person with something to actually contribute is saying.  The worst, though, was when he "interviewed" the person who owned the car that Goldman was driving.  So she has no knowledge of police procedure at all, but let's just accept that she says that the keys "hadn't been tested" and were "returned in an evidence bag".  I mean, she may be right, but I'm not ready to accept that she's a good judge of how the police handled her keys from the time they were picked up at the crime scene and then returned to her days later.  And then THAT leads the defense investigator to say that the LAPD did test the keys and "didn't like what they found."  This opinion is based, I'm assuming, on the paycheck he received as part of the defense.

I'm just kind of missing any sort of tension even though we're supposedly getting two different sides.  Like I think I might have preferred a show where Dear and Lange are just in a room talking.  I would pay cash money to see Lange just swat down some of the things Dear is saying. So Dear says "hey, Goldman put up a fight based on all the scuffs on his hands, where are those marks on OJ?" And then Lange just sits there and says "OK, but nobody saw those on Jason...and also, those marks could have come from being pushed back into the metal bars while he was being attacked." 

• Love 2

The son did it theory has been around for a while and there were problems with the whole case. I always felt OJ had an accomplice wether it be Cowlings, his son or another party.

The only smoke I saw in 2 hours were the keys. And if the keys came from a plastic rather than paper bag that's a problem if it was the original evidence bag.

I was disappointed but not surprised of how casual the team was in front of experts and witnesses. But 20 years after I guess one can talk about it anyway they want.

I don't know what I loved more, when the possible tie in with Storage Wars was introduced (Can you believe we found the murder weapon in an abandoned storage locker belonging to Simpson's son?!) or when these guys were all excited about their storage locker find and then someone said the wounds were from a single edged kniife not double edged like the storage locker knife.  The "Dynamic Duo" in their brilliance said maybe there was a 2nd knife?!

Also have they never heard of someone writing in times on a time card say if you forgot to punch in or out?  Someone initialed those times.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Don't know if I can stomach Episode 2.

But how will you know who killed Nicole and Ron???? Hoooooowwwwww??????

23 minutes ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

Okay, so I may have erred in recommending this as a serious program, but now that it's become a parody of itself it is pretty hilarious...

And despite my misgivings, I'm still watching - not only on your recommendation, but because it IS just that awful.  So, thank you (I think?)!   ;-)

4 hours ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

Okay, so I may have erred in recommending this as a serious program, but now that it's become a parody of itself it is pretty hilarious...

Aww, don't feel bad, Sarah. I'm enjoying it for many of the reasons you stated in your review. I've never heard the "Jason did it" theory before, so a lot of this is new to me. I doubt they'll change my mind, but it does bring up some interesting points.

blood on passenger side:  Maybe after OJ returned to Rockingham, he went around to the passenger side to get something (clothes, bag?) and deposited the blood then.  Or maybe even after the murder at Bundy, but it seems like he would've been in a rush to get out of there.

I like Det Lange.  For whatever reason, I find him kind of folksy.  I enjoy listening to him pontificate about this case. Wondering now if he wrote a book on the case.

I waited until I had all 6 episodes before watching. I did read all of the posts in the forums.  Some of the questions/topics they've raised have been interesting but I'm not swayed about anything so far.  The hat color thing was so stupid.   

• Love 1

I'm sorry that this series is coming across so silly because I've always felt Jason did it and of course people thought I was delusional. But something a newscaster said that very first day, between reporting of the crime and the Bronco chase has always stayed with me. They asked where Jason was. OK, interesting. But then following that there was that odd Bronco chase that only made sense to me at the time if OJ was creating a distraction and not really fleeing to the border. The only person he'd do it for would be his son. I read the book about ten years ago, so many years after I already thought Jason should have been looked at as a suspect, and it spelled out for me why Jason really makes sense and it validated my gut feeling at the time. While the book wasn't very well written it pointed out that Jason seemed to have had a thing for Nicole and I can believe it. They had a misunderstanding the night before and Nicole stood him up for a family event he thought was planned at his restaurant. His time card was not consistent that night. He carries his own set of chef knives with him. He seemed to have had some anger issues previously. There was more but that's the nutshell version. I felt at the time Jason did it and got OJ to help him so this is particularly interesting to me.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Almost 3000 said:

I'm sorry that this series is coming across so silly because I've always felt Jason did it and of course people thought I was delusional. But something a newscaster said that very first day, between reporting of the crime and the Bronco chase has always stayed with me. They asked where Jason was. OK, interesting. But then following that there was that odd Bronco chase that only made sense to me at the time if OJ was creating a distraction and not really fleeing to the border. The only person he'd do it for would be his son. I read the book about ten years ago, so many years after I already thought Jason should have been looked at as a suspect, and it spelled out for me why Jason really makes sense and it validated my gut feeling at the time. While the book wasn't very well written it pointed out that Jason seemed to have had a thing for Nicole and I can believe it. They had a misunderstanding the night before and Nicole stood him up for a family event he thought was planned at his restaurant. His time card was not consistent that night. He carries his own set of chef knives with him. He seemed to have had some anger issues previously. There was more but that's the nutshell version. I felt at the time Jason did it and got OJ to help him so this is particularly interesting to me.

I don't think you're delusional.  You're free to have your own thoughts.  So far (4 episodes in), I don't find this new evidence very convincing, mainly because of the way they are believing and disbelieving what people are saying.  But Nicole didn't stand him up.  He knew she wasn't coming.  Also, I think it's common that chefs have their own knives.  If you've ever seen an episode of Top Chef, they all have their own different knife bags/rolls.  I'll address the time card in that episode thread (4 I think.)

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Almost 3000 said:

The only person he'd do it for would be his son.

The only person OJ Simpson would ever do anything for was OJ Simpson. 

There's a very enlightening, amazing documentary called OJ: Made in America. If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend watching it. (It's an actual documentary, not the nonsense this show served up as a "documentary.") It really explains who OJ was as a person -- and a considerate father and friend (and husband) he was most certainly not. 

On 1/22/2017 at 7:57 PM, Giant Misfit said:

The only person OJ Simpson would ever do anything for was OJ Simpson. 

There's a very enlightening, amazing documentary called OJ: Made in America. If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend watching it. (It's an actual documentary, not the nonsense this show served up as a "documentary.") It really explains who OJ was as a person -- and a considerate father and friend (and husband) he was most certainly not. 

Was that the one that aired on ESPN in multiple parts on a few nights?  If so, yes, it did go into a lot of detail about OJ, racism and his place in the world. I thought it was very well done.