Type keyword(s) to search

Watch An Extended Trailer For The CW's Riverdale

Primetimer
  • Start Topic

It's a bit dark, sure, but I'm definitely giving it a chance. The pilot, at least.

(BTW, I can't help but let the comic book geek in me point out that the slogan "A Town With Pep" is a nice nod to the comics, 'cause Archie debuted in Pep Comics #1. You may now continue eye-rolling at my geekishness.)

• Love 2

Man, I don't know how I feel about this. I was obsessed with Archie comics when I was a kid and still have tons of those little digests at home. Archie comics are happy and sugary sweet and relatively innocuous. I don't know that I like them darkening my Archie like this. I'll give it a shot though.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 0:10 PM, Rachel RSL said:

I was obsessed with Archie comics when I was a kid and still have tons of those little digests at home. Archie comics are happy and sugary sweet and relatively innocuous

Here's the thing though.  Somewhere ten-ish years ago, Archie Comics realized they needed to evolve or die.  They still publish plenty of the wholesome stuff, but the current main Archie book, plus Betty & Veronica, Jughead, and the new Reggie and Me have been given a very contemporary makeover, although it's not Twin Peaks-y like this.  And they have a digital Life with Kevin series that shows Kevin Keller as a 20-something moving to New York and having the same problems as most 20-something gay guys.  And that's not counting Afterlife with Archie or the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina horror comics, which are incredibly dark (particularly the latter), and are both phenomal.

I keep reading comments online that "This isn't Archie!  This isn't Archie!"  This is produced by the creatives from Archie Comics.  This is EXACTLY the show they want.

• Love 3

No, but in all of the press releases from announcement of the pilot through it being picked and its screening at ComicCon has been pretty clear the show was going to be this kind of thing, and all of a sudden people (I'm not saying you, please understand that) are shocked by it.

It's an interesting take--and although I don't think everything light needs a dark makeover, there are some interesting directions to go with these characters.  It almost seems like Riverdale is going for the "real life behind the cheesy comic book" approach.  Usually dark dramas aren't my thing, but it might be very good at what it's trying to be.  My first thought was it was going to be One River Hill, but the more I see the more I think it's going to be its own thing.

The trailer made it clear this isn't Archie Comics, it's Archie Drama (or graphic novel.)   Also, thanks to whomever pointed out that Archie vs. Predator is a thing--and I also wonder if they're going to do an Arrow crossover (different comics companies, but it happens on occasion--and Oliver Queen explaining he knows what it's like to be torn between the blonde-haired woman everyone tells him to be with and the brunette who...is also stunningly beautiful, and most people find that to be a really annoying problem to have...)

21 hours ago, dmc said:

This looks dreadful...lol I will watch of course

Of course!  Do we think they'll put the inevitable Betty/Veronica tryst in the first episode, or save it for later?  I say season one finale.

• Love 1

I've read the recent Archie stuff, so I'm aware that many of the comics are now "updated/edgy/modern/whatever", but these previews just look...bad.

I mean, it seems like they could have made this show and called it whatever they wanted and made totally new characters. Why give this the Archie theme? Why use the Archie characters?

There seems to be nothing Archie-like about any of this. Why bother?

Edited by 7thton
On ‎25‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 4:24 PM, marketdoctor said:

My first thought was it was going to be One River Hill, but the more I see the more I think it's going to be its own thing.

I heard it described by someone who saw the pilot at SDCC as "Archie meets Pretty Little Liars" (and I guess for others Twin Peaks) but I don't know how that will be interpreted by others.

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 11:00 AM, 7thton said:

There seems to be nothing Archie-like about any of this. Why bother?

Why reboot their main series?  Why start horror comics with Archie characters?

Because this is what they wanted to do.

• Love 1

The Archie characters are broadly drawn (literally and figuratively) and are easy to place in any genre. The CW take isn't that different than some that have been tried over the years. So long as the essence of the core five remains recognizable it should work.

On 12/29/2016 at 1:16 PM, starri said:

Why reboot their main series?  Why start horror comics with Archie characters?

When they rebooted the main series (a year or so ago?) they still kept the main Archie character/plots/atmosphere. This doesn't seem to do that, at all. It looks to me like the characters are so...out-of-character...that they might as well not even bother. 

As for the horror comics (and other genres), they aren't intended to be taken seriously, nor made for high-profile TV networks. 

4 minutes ago, 7thton said:

As for the horror comics (and other genres), they aren't intended to be taken seriously

People take Afterlife with Archie pretty seriously.  It sells well and makes Best Of lists.

But that's not really my point.  With both the reboot and Archie Horror they decided they wanted to do those things and did them.  They decided they wanted to do this and did it.  People keep asking "why?"  And that's the why.

• Love 1
On 12/26/2016 at 1:09 PM, JJ Hall said:

Of course!  Do we think they'll put the inevitable Betty/Veronica tryst in the first episode, or save it for later?  I say season one finale.

Nope first episode lol

On 12/26/2016 at 1:09 PM, JJ Hall said:

After watching the first episode I want the Betty/Veronica tryst to happen!