Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Series 2 Episode 7

Cranberry

When Mattie reveals that the Synths are planning to break into the Silo, Laura is determined to find Niska and ask for her help. Mattie asks Max to help save Leo from Hester's influence. Toby receives a disturbing message from Renie. Karen seeks out Athena's expertise and makes a life-altering decision. Mia and Hester break into the Silo, but things don't go according to plan.

So after the completely pointless trial they give Nicka one scene in the entire episode? She was the best character of the first season and they completely waste her in this. Not like it.

Funny how when Westworld does the robot revolution it´s automatic weapons and action movie shootout, but when Humans do the same there is only one poor security guy with a taser. Also Leo? Remember the movie Running Man? I don´t understand how anyone could miss those big forcefield generators. 

Why is Hester such a psychopat? She is not a prototype so she should be more like those other synths saved from the Qualia lab. Instead she is manipulative and already able to play people against each other like a pro. Niska went through hell as well and she could be very cruel, but we could always see her inner turmoil and longing for something real. 

So is the main theme of the show some kind of society transformation where humans and synths will freely mix with each other? Because not only we already have people falling in love with synths and viceversa, but they also hint at dead humans minds uploaded into synths and fake humans with synth mind? Seems a little too much, especially for a show situated in an alternative present.

• Love 1

Wow, this episode was a (blue) bloodbath. In a way, you have to respect a show that actually killed off at least two characters who've been there since the start (Pete & Odi), plus the slaughter of (most of) the escapees, though  did think the Synths were a little too blasé in their escape attempt (I guess it's too hard to have a crowd of people run "robotically", but you could at least make it look as if they're TRYING to move as if they're in danger).

11 hours ago, jane1978 said:

Also Leo? Remember the movie Running Man? I don´t understand how anyone could miss those big forcefield generators. 

To be fair, they weren't that big - they looked regular fencepost sized (and he didn't have the advantage of the camera focusing on them). What got me was that NONE of the Synths said anything! It seemed to cut them down in waves, they didn't all go down at once, so maybe call out a warning as you see your "Brothers & Sisters" collapse?

As for the Hester/Dr Morrow situation, I don't think anyone was thinking clearly there. For a start, telling somebody to open a door so you can kill them is not exactly a strong inducement to do so (OK, Hester's new to emotions and sociopathic, so maybe she didn't think about how best to approach that) but Pete wasn't thinking straight either - maybe don't tell somebody who's EXPLICITLY THERE TO COMMIT MURDER to do what they think is best? Granted, we know Hester better than he does, but I could see that not ending well (appealing to Karen was a much smarter move).

I loved the way Sophie/Rennie "Synthing" situation resolved itself, even if it wasn't what Toby was expecting. It's a brave series that can make jokes about teen suicide, particularly in an episode that featured an actual suicide (assuming you consider what Odi did to be a suicide, which I do). I was worried at how well the Hawkins family would fit into Season 2, but they've done a pretty good job for the most part.

• Love 1
On 12/13/2016 at 6:31 PM, jane1978 said:

Funny how when Westworld does the robot revolution it´s automatic weapons and action movie shootout, but when Humans do the same there is only one poor security guy with a taser.

Yeah, I'm still watching but have to admit my interest waned some after watching West World because of the gaping difference in production values.

I don't believe in this idea that synths could die.  Unless they have unique hardware, they could restore the conscious personalities of any synth since it's all software.  If the chips that stored the personality software were fried, they could be replaced.

Now maybe Odi wouldn't want to be made conscious again and he would try to wipe his conscious self again, but his identity should be backed up and they could restore it repeatedly or maybe put it in a new synth without the broken arm.

• Love 2

I have no idea what Karen was trying to do when she went to Dr Morrow.  Somehow uploading her personality into the Qualia server was going to make her more human? She didn't want a dead woman's body, so was the idea to move her to a different body at some point and Hester interfered with that?

I do not like how Odi's storyline ended. We (in the US at least) didn't even see what he did, just Mattie reading the note he left.

Leo isn't really smart, he's just part synth and committed to their cause.  If you see a high security facility that you can't get into the front door, is it likely that the back door leads to an open field with no fence of any kind?

• Love 1

Well, that was pretty tragic.  First, Odi apparently reset himself (but apparently the non-US version actually showed him doing it?  Would it kill AMC to let these episodes go a little over?), and then Pete dies after getting shanked by Hester.  Then, Leo/Mia/Hester's big plan ends up being a clusterfuck, because they didn't take into account the security measures, so almost all the synths they were trying to save ended up dying.  They sure weren't holding back this episode!

I guess Hester has gone full-blown sociopath now, and every human will be considered a threat.  And any synth against her will be just as bad.  I so have a feeling she will try something against Mia if she had the chance.  And Maddie.  Maddie really better watch herself!

Not sure what was going on with Karen and Athena.  Sounds like she wanted Athena to upload her to the computer, and the somehow install her into a human body?

At least Max came back to help.  Leo is lucky that he is a very forgiving synth.

Can't decided what was my favorite Mia/Gemma Chan moment: Mia pretending to be frighten by the soldiers, or Mia getting up in Hester's grill, when Hester begin hurting Maddie.

Onto the finale!

I can see a Mia/Karen team taking down Hester. Mia had a lot of steel in her (no pun or reference to her synth body intended) in this episode, and Karen is bound to have a revenge response to that. That combo would be interesting in any case - the synth who loved a seemingly good guy, but was betrayed by him, and the synth who loved a guy who was a jerk much of the time, but loved her without reservation by the end.

Leo was, as always, frustratingly stupid and completely lacking in awareness of his surroundings. I mean, surely the dying synths falling to the ground would have made some noise when they hit.

I'm not sure if Toby's friend was supposed have actually been contemplating suicide, or just taking a bath after having an epiphany. It was hilariously awkward, though. So maybe she wasn't really going to "do something stupid."

It was bad enough that Mia initially just stood there while Hester was hurting Mattie, but I chalked that up to her new "humans are bad" attitude. Leo, on the other hand, is still part human and he just stood there doing NOTHING. Seriously? No wonder Mattie is worried that you're going to hurt someone. If you aren't going to stop Hester from hurting a human you know who has helped you multiple times in the past, you definitely aren't going to stop her from hurting strangers who she perceives as a threat.

Poor Odi! And poor Mattie. She thought she was helping him. She never meant to make him unhappy.

I was not expecting Karen to turn herself into Athena. And Athena was surprisingly gentle with Karen throughout their conversation. I loved that she later told Karen to leave before the police arrived. I still didn't understand how Karen thought that uploading herself into the server would make her more human. I get not wanting to look like the dead woman she was meant to replace but if Athena managed to put her in a different synth body, she would have to create an entirely new life as a different person. She would not be a detective anymore for starters. She would have to create a fake paper trail with an education and work experience to get a new job. Did she consider any of that? Not to mention how Pete would fit into all this. Would he transfer to another city and show up with her as his new girlfriend?

Ever since we were introduced to Renie, I wondered why she was acting like a synth. I assumed it had to do with repressing her emotions and not dealing with something, but I wasn't sure if she was being abused or what. I'm glad that she finally let go of her synthie stuff.

Although I understand why Niska and Max have split off, I'm hate seeing their family splintered. Of course, then I worried even more when Max agreed to go back to try to dissuade Leo from his plan. Max already escaped death once so I spent half the episode worrying that he would die trying to help Leo.

I was shaking my head at the Hester/Leo argument in the stairwell. Y'all need to escape, not stand around inside the building having an ethical debate. How shitty are you going to feel if all the synths you just freed get recaptured because you were just standing around wasting time instead of getting the hell out? Those few minutes are what made the difference. If not for that, the synths would have been past the perimeter barrier when the alarm sounded and killed all of those synths.