Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Globetrotters

Michel
  • Start Topic

From TV Guide:

When Adam creates a basketball video that makes it look like he and his friends beat Barry at a game, Barry demands a rematch at the school gym.  Beverly throws a surprise for Murray's fiftieth birthday, despite his protests.

When did Taz Money start regularly hanging out with Adam?  I thought he was one of the cool kids, and Adam one of the nerds.  I was also surprised that he was so bad at basketball.  I figured he'd have been better.

I kinda felt for Murray about his catnap that went on too long.  I've lain down for naps and had them accidentally go on for longer, as well.

I had a feeling that Murray's tax return scam wouldn't work.  I can say right away that it wouldn't have worked on me, either.  But I have to say that I'm growing weary of these "Murray doesn't care about anything relating to the family" storylines.  That said, the ending was still kinda sweet.

Adam and Barry's storyline with Al running the middle was probably the best thing about the episode for me.  That effort of making a Globetrotters-like showdown was uncomfortably laughable.  Or perhaps laughably uncomfortable.

No random Lucky sighting this week.  I missed her.:(

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SoothingDave said:

I assure you that in Philadelphia nobody's grandfather is sitting outside sipping lemonade in December.

So it was supposed to be December, wasn't it? I couldn't figure it out. First, they play basketball outside, shorts and t-shirts, in what totally looks like summertime, sunlight, green leaves and all. And in the next scene, the surprise party guests are all wearing coats that need to be piled in the bedroom. 

• Love 3

"Have some dignity Dave Kim!"

"You cant un-pants someone, thats just helping them get dressed!"

Maybe I just have lowered expectations, but everything about the Harlem Globetrotters made me laugh my head off. Especially the Globetrotter off. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, shura said:

So it was supposed to be December, wasn't it? I couldn't figure it out. First, they play basketball outside, shorts and t-shirts, in what totally looks like summertime, sunlight, green leaves and all. And in the next scene, the surprise party guests are all wearing coats that need to be piled in the bedroom. 

I think their desire to be "neat" and be able to reference the same date in the show as the original airdate overrode their desire to make sense about the climate.  

Someone posted something in another thread about how memories get jumbled up. I look at the Goldbergs as a series of memories, totally jumbled up. So timing and dates are off, as are ages and grade levels. If this is a person's memories, I'm giving him some slack. Plus, as a Phila native, and having gone to a rival school probably around the same time as his older brothers, this show gives me the warm fuzzies. I'm willing to suspend disbelief, although I get why people may not want to.

Again, the show flowed so much better without Erica pining for Greg. 

• Love 4
On 12/7/2016 at 7:39 PM, Michel said:

I had a feeling that Murray's tax return scam wouldn't work.  I can say right away that it wouldn't have worked on me, either

I think it would have worked for me, I'm kind of gullible.

• Love 2

Beverly crying while Whitney Houston played in the background caused a big dust cloud to go through my living room.

I love Jeff Garlin but he is so not the real Murray because I just can't picture what we have seen of the real Murray sitting around in tighty-whities.

Although I did laugh so hard when he was walking in the door and before the door was even closed he was taking his pants off.

• Love 6
On 12/8/2016 at 0:45 PM, shura said:

Yeah, the weather sometimes works like that around here :)  Just a couple weeks ago it was near 70 & I went out in a sweater...90 min later it was blustery with a 20 degree temperature drop.   

On 12/9/2016 at 2:14 PM, mojoween said:

Beverly crying while Whitney Houston played in the background caused a big dust cloud to go through my living room.

To be perfectly honest, The Goldbergs is kind of making me realize me that 80s music isn't as great as I thought I remembered it to be.

Edited by ByTor

I don't think they pick the best 80s music but maybe they're shooting for the cheesiest.  I don't feel they pick the best 80s references overall, really, but maybe it's just me who wasn't into the Globetrotters, Goonies, Knight Rider, and most of the other stuff Adam was.  And maybe they're having to dig deep, given it's season 4.  I liked season 1 much better.