Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Our Relationships Thread

Lady Calypso
  • Start Topic

So, I was thinking about how much discussion goes into talking about relationships on this show because it's the most important aspect. Whether it's the relationship between the siblings, the relationship between Jack/Rebecca, or other romantic relationships throughout the series, I just thought it would be a good way to bring all of our discussions into one big thread. It's nice to talk about in the episodes, but it's also nice to be able to talk about the relationships as a whole. So whether it's familial or romantic, I thought why not bring the discussions here? 

Is Jack an only child? I think so. I would like to see Rebecca's sister. Although it would be funny to cast Britney, Christina or Jessica, maybe someone the same size as Kate? Shows the genetic component of obesity, but it provides context to Rebecca's feelings and actions.

I would like to see Kate, Kevin, and Randall' s friends.  I hate it when shows don't give characters a recognizable group of peers.  They don't need to be major characters but reoccurring.  

One thing that is realistic is how none of them live in their hometown.  I like that a lot.

• Love 1

I've watched/loved Randall & Beth from the start for many reasons and while they are original characters, their marriage always reminded me of someone else's but I didn't figure it out until now: it's the Obamas.  IMO, there's definitely echoes of Barack & Michelle in Randall & Beth's commitment to/love for each other. As for the girls, they definitely remind me of Sasha & Malia.  

• Love 2
7 hours ago, maggiemae said:

If Rebecca's mom did not treat Randall very well then that should have been an episode of Rebecca and Jack defending him and educating her and questioning her husband.

The episode was season 2, episode 5. Rebecca's parents had already moved from Pittsburgh to Greenwich, CT around the time of the marriage, and her father died at some point after that. Rebecca's mother excluded Randall from shots she took of her grandchildren and brought him the same present every visit -- a basketball. Can't have too many of those when you're a seven-year-old math prodigy. Rebecca called her on it (Jack was sick in bed) and explained to Randall that his grandmother's treatment of him was racist. I don't recall if we saw Rebecca's mother again until Jack's funeral. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Pallas said:

The episode was season 2, episode 5. Rebecca's parents had already moved from Pittsburgh to Greenwich, CT around the time of the marriage, and her father died at some point after that. Rebecca's mother excluded Randall from shots she took of her grandchildren and brought him the same present every visit -- a basketball. Can't have too many of those when you're a seven-year-old math prodigy. Rebecca called her on it (Jack was sick in bed) and explained to Randall that his grandmother's treatment of him was racist. I don't recall if we saw Rebecca's mother again until Jack's funeral. 

I forgot what she got Kevin but didn't she give digs about Kate's weight too? I think she bought her mermaid costume she'd fit into if she lost a few pounds? She also said to Rebecca from an old synopsis " Rebecca and Jack are so desperate to get Rebecca’s mom out of their house that Jack goes outside—with the chicken pox—to shovel snow off the driveway so she can drive home. Rebecca’s mom says Randall is “foreign” to her and that she has to “try” to see him as part of their family. Rebecca, obviously, is having none of this, but things end on a somewhat sweet note: Rebecca's mom looks at Randall’s final, finished science project and calls him a special boy. Randall, the shady icon he is, simply responds, “It took you long enough [to realize that]." Kid Randall for all the Emmys."

Maybe if Rebecca saw her mom more and laid down proper treatment earlier on, she'd be different. They were old to be still in this pattern.

• Love 1

Rebecca's mom was too concerned about what the country club folks would think of her daughter, never mind one who welcomed a Black child into the family.  Rebecca had enough on her plate raising the threesome and being a wife and homemaker to Jack that she really didn't need more interference from her mother and father, who never liked Jack.  I think this is part of the This Is Us story:  Both Rebecca and Jack came from childhoods they didn't want repeated with their own kids.  They created their own family, Mr. and Mrs. Jack and Rebecca Pearson and The Big 3.

• Love 4