Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Talking to Me, Talking to Me

I thought the scene from Dorothy was really good at the end. Broke my heart. I love that she seemed supportive to him and she probably IS happy for him to a certain extent but it hurts so much to see someone else get what you want - especially if they weren't even trying for it. 

• Love 6

So she had the abortion, which seems like it is good thing and shes getting a divorce from Paul.  I liked that the pro-lifer was for the abortion in her case.

Is Jimmy having a midlife crisis? Looks like he's running again, I hope they work it out, they are cute together

• Love 2
5 hours ago, EdnasEdibles said:

I thought the scene from Dorothy was really good at the end. Broke my heart. I love that she seemed supportive to him and she probably IS happy for him to a certain extent but it hurts so much to see someone else get what you want - especially if they weren't even trying for it. 

Yes! She's been a character I barely notice in most episodes, but that was kind of devastating, and the actress sold it.

Jimmy is like unto a cat; not a thought about how to get back down.

I survived an abortion, so, on , principle, I now hate Lindsey more than usual.

I enjoyed the insight into Gretchen, and how, even with meditation tapes, like with Wheel, she feels the need to fill-in-the-blank. It's the old Carly Simon song "Anticipation", before it was ruined by ketchup.

I'm pro choice. I think the inherent right to privacy includes one's body. So what i say isn't about a moral stance on the issue. 

But I think Lindsay's actions were reprehensible. Paul wanted the baby -- he was looking forward to the baby, and doing all he could, including sacrificing a woman who actually loved him, for the baby. And Lindsay didn't even bother to tell him, to let him make a case for whatever. I think it insufferable that none of these people -- not Gretchen or Jimmy -- even bothered to point that out. It's one thing to be selfish and narcissistic. It's quite another to have no decency or compassion toward another human being, and just telling someone who was looking forward to parenthood that you've just decided to get an abobo ... that's hard to recover from. It's the kind of thing that should haunt one's dreams. And I've always adored Lindsay's character, but the only way she's tolerable is to think of her as the infant she was behaving as in the restaurant, and that's even more sad. So maybe I'll do that and just forget thios plotline ever happened. 

I think the competition thing with Gretchen is a neat twist, but you would think we'd seen evidence of it before, and we haven't. We saw hints of Gretchen  with her mom, and I can see her mother being that way, but we've not seen a competitive streak in her before -- if anything, she dodges and runs from competition when confronted with it. That might be a necessary retcon for where they want to take the show, but it's a retcon none the less. 

I agree that Dorothy did an amazing job, especially hearing the news in that Chore Monkey getup. She used to be Travis's girlfriend on Cougar Town, didn't she? 

Why was Gretchen photoing Jimmy's crosswords? I did love her casual "you go first, I'll catch up" while stealing Jimmy's breakfast and dual mimosa's. The men of Jimmy's flat know how to show a girl a good time. 

• Love 5
17 hours ago, EdnasEdibles said:

Agreed, Dorothy's plot hit me the hardest.

I'm definitely interested in seeing what happens with Jimmy, but he and Gretch probably aren't gonna break up. More than that, though, the muted affect on his existential crisis made it hard to really feel for him. Honestly, this whole season, I haven't really got Jimmy. I feel like the writers wanted to avoid a cliched grief thing so hard that they just went all over the place because everything about how he's reacted to his father's death is plausible on the surface but it just doesn't feel true to me.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, whiporee said:

I think the competition thing with Gretchen is a neat twist, but you would think we'd seen evidence of it before, and we haven't. We saw hints of Gretchen  with her mom, and I can see her mother being that way, but we've not seen a competitive streak in her before -- if anything, she dodges and runs from competition when confronted with it. That might be a necessary retcon for where they want to take the show, but it's a retcon none the less. 

I think what her therapist was trying to establish two weeks ago what that it was the duality of the way Gretchen lived her life vs. being fully aware of her mother's persona that was the basis of a lot of her depression. Basically, while she's living haphazardly, she's hearing her mother's competitive streak parenting, causing the psychological stress on her. the manifestation of that would be last year's LCD Soundsystem episode where she was temporarily obsessed with "the perfect couple" in the neighborhood. When she realized that wasn't her life or what she was heading towards her depression hit the forefront.

• Love 1

But I think Lindsay's actions were reprehensible. Paul wanted the baby -- he was looking forward to the baby, and doing all he could, including sacrificing a woman who actually loved him, for the baby. And Lindsay didn't even bother to tell him, to let him make a case for whatever. I think it insufferable that none of these people -- not Gretchen or Jimmy -- even bothered to point that out. It's one thing to be selfish and narcissistic. It's quite another to have no decency or compassion toward another human being, and just telling someone who was looking forward to parenthood that you've just decided to get an abobo ... that's hard to recover from.

Thank you for voicing that, because it was what I struggled with even as I, too, an pro-choice. Paul is nuts for staying with Lindsay now. The casual way all of these characters deal with issues and choices that would be huge things for me is part of their appeal, but sometimes they go further than I am capable of going with them. 

• Love 1