Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E18: Meet Kaci Lynn Bates!

• Start Topic

Zach and Whitney get ready to meet their newest addition, Kaci Lynn. But when Whitney has an ultrasound days before delivery, they find out that Kaci Lynn is breach and if she doesn’t turn, it could have dangerous consequences for mom and baby. Big brother Bradley is surprised with a new bed, while Lawson helps a special friend catch his first fish.

I liked seeing the fishing with Lawson and the little kid from the hospital. It was also nice seeing the baby being born. Somehow I wish they hadn't made such a big deal of possibly needing a c-section, it happened to me twice (both times considered emergency as well) and my kids are I did very well with it. We didn't plan it and while it wouldn't have been my first choicebut the main goal is a healthy baby and delivery and I felt very lucky everything worked out. 

Whitney is only 22, so I have to wonder how many kids she's going to end up having. Also, I'm wondering how they can afford that big house on Zach's salary- didn't he just graduate from the police academy? I had no idea that they paid so well. Unlike the Duggars, I don't think Gil Bates is giving each of his married kids a house to live in. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, CarolMK said:

Also, I'm wondering how they can afford that big house on Zach's salary- didn't he just graduate from the police academy? I had no idea that they paid so well. Unlike the Duggars, I don't think Gil Bates is giving each of his married kids a house to live in. 

I don't think the house is necessarily expensive - prices vary across the country and what's expensive in NY can be cheap in TN. My question is why are the two kids sharing a room when it is such a big house? Also, all the talk about pink for girls and blue for boys was getting annoying. It was a bad reminder about gender roles in their world.

• Love 2

I think the kids are sharing a room because they are both still too young to be upstairs by themselves.  It looks like the master bedroom is on the 1st floor, so it would be better to have the babies on the same floor. 

I like how Whitney said all the Bates could come to the hospital to visit  AFTER Kaci was born. Even then, that was a lot of people & commotion.  I really felt Kelly was honored that Whitney & Zack allowed her to be in the room for the birth. Like she said, she doesn't expect to be in the room for all the grandbabies births so this was very special to her. I also like seeing that Whitney gave birth to Kaci at the hospital with every possible medical service available to her.  (Unlike another large family whose grandsons' births could have resulted in tragedies.)

• Love 6

Man -- this family -- so likeable despite being fundie. So funny to see the way Zach freaked out when Whit went into labor the first time -- running around searching for socks and shaving so he could look good for the baby and then crying bc HE was nervous and Whit had to comfort HIM. It was nice to see how much he cared (and still cares) for his wife that he was scared and cute to see Gil -- who had been thru this 19 times -- playfully laugh at him. I really do think Kelly was honored to be at the birth but did not have any expectations and would not have made any kind of fuss if Whit didn't want it. Also nice to see how much Gil cares about his whole family. You just don't get the sense that the men view the women as broodmares at all. When Kelly was talking in the interview about how Whit started to get scared when they were going to bring her back to either flip the baby or do a quick C-section -- you could see Gil wiping away tears.

Also nice to see that Gil and Kelly just aren't ME ME ME all the time. After Kaci had been born and they had seen her and spent a few min, Gil and Kelly both say -- ok, we're going to go now, you both need to rest - w/o Zach or Whit having to give any kind of indications about it. Same thing the next day with the family, they let the 15 or so siblings at home visit but Gil and Kelly were quick to put a limit on it and say -- ok we have to go, they need to rest. We've seen other fundie families that would just let their kids swing from iv poles and not even notice or care that their daughter in law looked tired or whatever.

• Love 5