Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E21: Big News

I have no clue why the writers broke up Nick and Jess and think that it is a mistake, but this was a good episode. I loved Winston's "honey roast."  Schmidt tutoring CeCe is too contrived.

I liked this one, although I think the only time I laughed out loud was when Winston entered in that all-white suit, holding a cane. It was just so silly and unexpected. 

I like how they're handling the breakup, too. I'd much rather see this than antagonistic behavior or complete avoidance.

I loved the callback to the pilot with Dirty Dancing as Jess's wallowing breakup crying movie of choice. Related trivia: (1) Jennifer Grey was really ticklish so the shots near the end of this scene where she's laughing and Patrick Swayze looks annoyed are real (2) Cynthia Rhodes, who played Penny in Dirty Dancing, and Richard Marx, her husband of 25 years, just announced their divorce less than two weeks ago.

I think the breakup came pretty much out of nowhere, but I do think they've handled it really well so far. All the stuff with Nick and Jess in this episode was very sweet. I can't imagine how they will be able to move on when their lives are so intertwined, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was leading to a reunion at the end of the season.

Also, did we know before this episode that Cece never graduated high school? I knew she didn't go to college, but that seems like a stretch.

Edited by stagmania
  • Love 1
Also, did we know before this episode that Cece never graduated high school? I knew she didn't go to college, but that seems like a stretch

It was mentioned in the episode where she decided to be a bartender. Maybe repeated in the following episode as well. Schmidt tried to cheer her up by saying other people never graduated High School. "...Albert Einstein, Bill Gates, Anne Frank-- I'm gonna take that last one back." ~ Schmidt

I enjoyed this episode and liked how Winston's story line was more integrated with the rest of the story lines.  I loved Winston coming in with the white tux and cane and not gracefully closing the door.  Also laughed at a drunk Jess dressed as Ferguson the cat.  I just like it when the show gets wacky. 

• Love 1

Schmidt was so comforted by that awkward greeting from Coach. He hugs back "I needed this". Lets the forehead kiss linger "delightful". And bows towards Coach like they have done this before. "to you too."

My other favorite part:

Winston (talking about his ideal party): ...I gotta go Honey Roast.

Coach: WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? DON'T SAY IT LIKE IT'S SOME THING WE KNOW! 

(Funny because there was a similar line on Mindy Project. Peter says, "Gotta think like a Peter". Mindy Replies "Hey pal, you gonna explain that? Or you just gonna walk away like that's your catchphrase and you're famous?")

Edited by BoogieBurns
  • Love 2

Love Winston. His yawn is adorable and cracked me up because I have a newborn who I love watching do the same exact thing. Loved everything about him this episode including the white suit reveal.

I'm not happy they broke up Nick and Jess and I hate the will they won't they as much as the next guy but that last scene reminded me how much I like them as friends. They have such a sweetness between them that that scene sold me and I might not mind seeing where they're going with this.