Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Evergreen

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, LydiaMoon1 said:

Agreed.  The time the show spent on her life in LA simply established for me that she was an infrequent visitor because she was busy building her marriage and their business.  I never took it as a sign that she didn't love her father or her siblings.  I just thought it showed that the glamour and complexity of her own life consumed her time and energy.

I also think Charley's been given a bum rap so far. I haven't seen arrogance from her, more of a more distant sibling who has been desperate to find a way to contribute since she arrived. Charley's been asking, "What can I do?", only to be told at every turn (and somewhat dismissively, mostly by Nova) "Oh that's done", or "That's been handled."

When it was time to pay the bill at the funeral home, I think Charley saw an opening. This was something that hadn't been taken care of already, a way to help, a way to contribute. Maybe she rushed in with the credit card a little bit, but I get the impulse. She wants to feel a part of things.

Obviously, there are layers to all of this which haven't been revealed yet, and I'm looking forward to future episodes. I'm new to the story, and for now, have decided not to read the book (to remain "unspoiled"), so many of you may already know the future of the story in a way that I don't. So please take all of my comments in that respect.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, TVForever said:

I also think Charley's been given a bum rap so far. I haven't seen arrogance from her, more of a more distant sibling who has been desperate to find a way to contribute since she arrived. Charley's been asking, "What can I do?", only to be told at every turn (and somewhat dismissively, mostly by Nova) "Oh that's done", or "That's been handled."

I think Nova and Ralph Angel might resent Charley because she left.  In some Southern families, that's an issue.  My dad left while his cousin stayed and I believe there was a sense of resentment between the two of them, as his cousin was the one who had to take care of her mother, aunts and uncles (though she was married with a career), while my father didn't have any those daily responsibilities. 

• Love 3

Loved this episode just as much as I loved the last one. I am really interested in all the family relationships, and I love all the little touches about southern life. Its just really beautiful and interesting, full of very talented actors just playing the hell out of their parts. And I appreciate that the show seems to zig just when I think its going to zag.

Like, I thought that the family might be weirded out by Blue playing with a doll, or be horrified at this "girl" behavior, but none of them seem to mind. And I am thrilled that Charlies son is siding with Charlie with this whole mess. He really seems like a good kid, level headed, especially considering he has grown up as the rich son of a famous basketball player. 

I feel bad for Charlie. She might have been presumptuous with her money, but she really seems to mean well, and she really does not seem like she is trying to show off, she just wants to help out. Nova seems to resent her, maybe because she left? Because she has money? Because she has a different mom? I want to know more. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 1:27 PM, DearEvette said:

Also when she told him to 'respect my choices' or something like that and he makes an exasperated comment about how she keeps him out, makes me feel like they are having an old argument.

This is what I've been loving about the show - this feeling that much of what we see is based on old grudges and arguments. The sense of family history. I don't know that I've seen any show that seemed as richly drawn by the second episode. There are still questions, but it all feels very genuine.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:02 PM, candall said:

Lol, okay, okay, I retract my comment about city people not bringing food.  I spent my 30's and 40's in DC and my friends were all imports from other places and largely without church affiliation.  It really was a Big Deal when I showed up with food to mark a loss, so I guess I made too broad an assumption about "country ways" versus "city ways."

I'm happy to know the gesture is more commonplace than I thought.

I wouldn't necessarily retract that. I've never received food when I was bereaved (mother, father, sister, brother), even when I was part of a congregation. When my mother died and we held the funeral at the church, the church ladies did indeed put on a little bit of a feed - and then billed me. If I'd known  (which was not mentioned during the arrangements), I would have made my own food - and some of my mother's recipes. Clearly I picked the wrong congregations.

On 9/13/2016 at 6:05 PM, tennisgurl said:

And I am thrilled that Charlies son is siding with Charlie with this whole mess. 

On that point, "my father is being accused of rape" is a lot different from "dad cheated on mom with some other woman".

On 9/8/2016 at 8:54 AM, Empress1 said:

Speaking of money, I had the closed captioning on (my AC is loud) and Nova said "Nine it is." The captioning said "$9000 it is." But then when they were divvying up the payment, Nova said "Put three hundred on this" or something like that, which made it sound like her portion was $300. The funeral couldn't possibly have cost $900, could it? The casket alone would be a few grand.

The director took $1500 off the total cost.  I was surprised that they agreed to the cost and then chose the casket.  Wouldn't it be the other way around, since the cost of the casket influences the total price?

On 9/9/2016 at 0:07 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

"Peckerwood." Haven't heard that in a while.

I half expected Hap and Leonard to show up!

• Love 2

I half expected Hap and Leonard to show up!

Heh, I forgot about those two fools. ;-) Since Queen Sugar and Hap and Leonard take place in the same general area, I guess the term is an East Texas/Louisiana thing? That's where I used to hear it in relatively casual conversation.

(And yikes, hate to be that person but "peckerwood" and "peckerhead" aren't really synonymous. Unless I was looking for a fight I think I'd be a lot more cautious about throwing the p-wood word around in unfamiliar company. I guess though in some circles it's been embraced by people to whom the term might've referred. It's interesting the way on H&L they use both terms.)

• Love 1
On 9/16/2016 at 10:47 AM, Clanstarling said:

This is what I've been loving about the show - this feeling that much of what we see is based on old grudges and arguments. The sense of family history. I don't know that I've seen any show that seemed as richly drawn by the second episode. There are still questions, but it all feels very genuine.

I wouldn't necessarily retract that. I've never received food when I was bereaved (mother, father, sister, brother), even when I was part of a congregation. When my mother died and we held the funeral at the church, the church ladies did indeed put on a little bit of a feed - and then billed me. If I'd known  (which was not mentioned during the arrangements), I would have made my own food - and some of my mother's recipes. Clearly I picked the wrong congregations.

Shut up! I am agnostic but my fam is southern baptist. I think I have several aunties rolling in their graves right now at the thought of a BILL  FOR  CHURCH  FOOD!

• Love 1