Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Growing Paine

• Start Topic

Carson is turning 1.  It’s Erin’s first time hosting the whole family at her house so she enlists everyone’s help to set up and decorate. But she quickly loses the boys to fun and games when Kelly Jo arrives with the party’s entertainment. And before the party starts, Katie and Josie hop behind the wheel for their first driving lesson under Kelly Jo’s watchful (and nervous) eye.

Erin wins in the Battle of the 1-year-old Birthday Parties.  I liked the games and the laid-back vibe of this party.  And I think they kept it smaller than some of the other parties.

Michaela seems to visit on her own quite a bit.  It must be cheap to fly from Chicago to Tennessee.

Edited by IndianPaintbrush

I know the Bates are just as Fundy crazy as the "other family", but the seem so much more normal. Teasing siblings, pushing/shoving siblings, teen girls being dramatic, loud and annoying. Teen boys trying to be tough, Dad making corny dad jokes. cheating at backyard games. I also loved Carson just snuggling into kellyJo's chest.  

Almost seemed like my own sinful family!

• Love 4
10 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

Michaela seems to visit on her own quite a bit.  It must be cheap to fly from Chicago to Tennessee.

Thanks to the TV money, Michaela can come home frequently.  Otherwise, I think she would be stuck in the teeny apartment all the time.  I can't imagine what she does all day besides Bible study.  I wonder if they have a television?

• Love 1

Those younger kids are just so happy to see Michael every time she comes home.  It's adorable.  "What can I do to help?" Always seem to be they first words out of her mouth.  Where does Michael fit in the lineup?  Is she the oldest girl?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, flyingdi said:

Where does Michael fit in the lineup?  Is she the oldest girl?

Yes, Zach is the oldest, followed by Michael, then Erin.  Actually, I just copied and pasted this from Wikipedia:

1 - Zachary Gilvin; December 30, 1988 (age 27); Married to Whitney Perkins; two children
2 - Michael Christian "Michaella";  January 23, 1990 (age 26); Married to Brandon Keilen
3 - Erin Elise; May 2, 1991 (age 25); Married to Chad Paine; two children 
4 - William Lawson "Lawson"; July 27, 1992 (age 24)
5 - Kenneth Nathaniel "Nathan"; August 29, 1993 (age 22)
6 - Alyssa Joy; November 9, 1994 (age 21); Married to John Webster; with one child
7 - Tori Layne; December 20, 1995 (age 20); Courting Bobby Smith
8 - Trace Whitfield; February 1, 1997 (age 19)
9 - Carlin Brianne; April 11, 1998 (age 18)
10 - Josie Kellyn; August 4, 1999 (age 17)
11 - Katie Grace; October 5, 2000 (age 15)
12 - Jackson Ezekiel; February 17, 2002 (age 14)
13 - Warden Justice; May 19, 2003 (age 13)
14 - Isaiah Courage; October 16, 2004 (age 11)
15 - Addallee Hope; February 17, 2006 (age 10)
16 - Ellie Bridget; April 28, 2007 (age 9)
17 - Callie-Anna Rose; August 2, 2009 (age 7)
18 - Judson Wyatt; September 15, 2010 (age 5)
19 - Jeb Colton; February 1, 2012 (age 4)

I guess Josie delayed getting her learner's (driving) permit....she's currently 17 and Katie's only 15.   Josie definitely seemed to be taking it a whole lot more seriously than Katie.   

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Patricia07 said:

They couldn't even give Michael a feminine middle name??

Apparently not, which is kind of odd since most of the other daughters' names are very feminine.  

I think it's interesting that they sometimes used a virtue for a middle name (Joy, Grace, Justice, Courage, Hope), but weren't really consistent.  And that for Lawson and Nathan, neither one is actually called by their first name.  But only for those two (I wonder why they named them William and Kenneth in the first place?). 

Also surprised that Jeb is four -- he seems......younger.

• Love 2

Carson's birthday seemed like a lot of fun..   Do all the girls call their mothers in law Mrs (Last name)?   It just seems so formal.   

Easy to mock a first time driver but when  was learning to drive stick about 6 months after I got my license I totally finally got the car going without stalling out enough that my brother let me out on the road and I was so stoked that I didn't stall and then my brother very calmly says, "yes, that was great now if you'd like to consider moving into the right lane".   Oops.   And that is why you go out to the boondocks for early driving.   I was working so hard on the new stuff the every day stuff?  Snuffed it.  So humiliating.  But at least it wasn't on TV.

• Love 2

Michael has the same exact birthday as my husband (random fact). It's sometimes hard to believe that we are the same age because they live so differently from us. In her circle she got married old while my husband and I are the first of our 1990 peers to get married.

On 8/26/2016 at 11:30 AM, MMLEsq said:

1 - Zachary Gilvin; December 30, 1988 (age 27); Married to Whitney Perkins; two children

2 - Michael Christian "Michaella";  January 23, 1990 (age 26); Married to Brandon Keilen

3 - Erin Elise; May 2, 1991 (age 25); Married to Chad Paine; two children 
4 - William Lawson "Lawson"; July 27, 1992 (age 24)
5 - Kenneth Nathaniel "Nathan"; August 29, 1993 (age 22)
6 - Alyssa Joy; November 9, 1994 (age 21); Married to John Webster; with one child
7 - Tori Layne; December 20, 1995 (age 20); Courting Bobby Smith
8 - Trace Whitfield; February 1, 1997 (age 19)
9 - Carlin Brianne; April 11, 1998 (age 18)
10 - Josie Kellyn; August 4, 1999 (age 17)
11 - Katie Grace; October 5, 2000 (age 15)
12 - Jackson Ezekiel; February 17, 2002 (age 14)
13 - Warden Justice; May 19, 2003 (age 13)
14 - Isaiah Courage; October 16, 2004 (age 11)
15 - Addallee Hope; February 17, 2006 (age 10)
16 - Ellie Bridget; April 28, 2007 (age 9)
17 - Callie-Anna Rose; August 2, 2009 (age 7)
18 - Judson Wyatt; September 15, 2010 (age 5)
19 - Jeb Colton; February 1, 2012 (age 4)

I didn't realize until seeing this just HOW close the early ones are together.  Zach/Michael, Lawson/Nathan, Alyssa/Tori, Josie/Katie, and even Callie/Judson are all just about 13 months apart!!  When Tori was born she had 7 under 7 (for only 10 days, but still...). And even with super sister-mom Michael, she wasn't even 6 yet, so how much help could she really have been getting from siblings?  I am equal parts impressed by Kelly and sad that so many kids in so little time meant the ability to really focus on any individual was probably lost.

• Love 1

Wikipedia hasn't updated Nate's age. He just turned 23 last week.

eta: Tori/Trace are also just over 13 months apart.Mechelle Duggar had some that close, but not as many, or for such a sustained period. The gaps between Smuggar/twins and Hannie/Jenni/Jordyn puts her average up to something around 16-18 months. Kelly's average is obviously well below that.

Edited by Sew Sumi