Type keyword(s) to search

Where do YOU get Beauty info & help?

• Start Topic

Where YOU get Beauty info/gossip/inspiration/tips/shade?   POLL OPEN

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I tend to look at blogs like Temptalia and Chicprofile (and others) for news on new collections/photos of what's coming, etc. I also like seeing the swatches.

Since I work downtown and close to a couple of department stores and a major drugstore, I tend to go once a week or two weeks to check out the new arrivals, etc. Some of the makeup lines counters get new sales reps regularly (some come and go) and I don't really form any sort of relationship to them to get any news of what is coming in terms of GWPs or anything that I might be interested in buying. I might buy something and then two months later, there is a new person at the counter. Other counters have managers that have been at that counter for a few years and I am more likely to get a sample of X (i.e. I got a couple of the new Estee Lauder Advance Night Repair ampoules when I bought some eyeshadow base on the weekend) or get a piece of paper in fall with upcoming holiday promotions.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Anyone follow the throw down between Kat Von D and Jeffree Starr?!? It was pretty juicy 

Yes.  I think they're both idjits.  I can't stand to look at or listen to Jeffree, though.  I watched a couple old YouTubes of his and he really does not seem like a nice person, at all.  That said, Team KVD is blowing up every.little.word. he says into something more, imo.  They're a pretty rabid bunch.

His business has got to be suffering.  Beauty bloggers everywhere are trashing him so bad.  Literally throwing piles of his products that they own into garbage cans.  It's funny because in the big scheme of things, it's make-up.

Edited by ryebread
  • Love 1
(edited)

I like Kat Von Ds products and wear them but am not a Stan. That said she came out looking correct and brought receipts plus I DO like when someone stands up for what is right even if it's controversial or will cost them popularity.  

I've been in that situation where I wasn't paid for work by a millionaire and it's a shitty feeling. Jeffree didn't keep his story straight and sounded very reversed, when she spoke off the cuff and less performative. Also wtf was he talking about in his response video,saying she was so aggressive and vicious, in her video she was ultra calm and sedate and chill af. 

Edited by Petunia13
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

I tend to look at blogs like Temptalia and Chicprofile (and others) for news on new collections/photos of what's coming, etc. I also like seeing the swatches.

I like Temptalia.   My favorite beauty blogger is Lisa Eldridge.  Her philosophy, and mine, about make-up, application and skin care are the same.  Less is more but do it really well.  Her voice is like butter to me.  Where some of the others are so young and loud and "YASSSSSS".

• Love 1

I like Temptalia as well. I really like Kate at The Small Things Blog. She has some great hair tutorials too. I would have to say one of my favorite YouTube make-up personalities is Wayne Goss. I like that a majority of his videos get to the point quickly. 

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

I had no idea about this.  What were they fighting about?

It's all in Twitter and YouTube. She made a Twitter post about him. Then posted a YouTube video. Then he did a YouTube video response. 

Do a search in YouTube and watch Kat Von D video first. I have to say she convinced me. I kinda found her personality funny in the video too. I like her makeup and think she's a talented tattoo artist, in fact I have a tattoo on my back from one of her protégés on la ink and it has a lot detail and shading. 

I had been in the situation she is upset about. I did a shit load of grooming for a very wealthy man who owns pet stores and dog boarding facilties. And he stiffed me on my paycheck (after i did this project during the holidays! ) and kept the tips. It's like "really asshole? You drive a Bentley but can't cough up a grand?" The entitlement is gross. 

• Love 1

There's been a lot of fighting and accusations going on with the drama channels (which talk about gurus). They are turning on each other and getting ugly. 

I still watch and love my main gurus! There are ones I kinda like and they have merit as well. I tried Chloe Morello's nose contour tutorial where she takes it in more than most gurus and curves it slightly. I mean it works but a lot of these things maybe are fine for pictures or videos not walking around. 

(edited)

I like Makeup Alley for its mostly impartial* reviews. When I look at product reviews on places like Sephora and ULTA, I go to the lowest reviews first -- I'd rather know if there's an offensive fragrance or poor outcome than read 100 squeeeeees!

*Every now and then someone will post a bunch of reviews for a single product line and each item is amazing!faboo!awesome! I think those are from product reps who are trying to promote the line, as most people won't buy every eye shadow color, 3 types of foundation for oily and dry skin etc. 

YouTube:

Have any of you watched Zabrena's tutorials on how to recreate looks from different eras? They are great.

Also, have any of you seen the big filter/no filter scandal brought to light by the aforementioned Wayne Goss (I like him, too, Misslindsey)? 

The vloggers I avoid with are the ones who ramble incessantly. I watched one recently (why, SCS, why?) of an Aussie (can't recall her name) who had gone to some beauty extravaganza and felt she'd been ignored by fellow vloggers. Just babbled on...and on...

Edited by steelcitysister
Typo needed strobing and sunblock :D
  • Love 2