Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E05: 16 Chefs Compete

• Start Topic

The teams must pair side dishes with four different types of protein; while the losing team makes honey taffy from scratch, the winners spend a day at Laguna Beach; the teams prepare a breakfast reception for a wedding.

Anyone else think that wedding was totally staged? The whole thing seemed fake to me, like the bride and groom are hired actors. Who honestly would get married in HK?

Wow um. Pretty hard to screw up EGGS. I wonder if producers were tampering with the stoves. 

Didn't the previews show someone making something "so shockingly disgusting", yet we didn't see it? I feel like the "disgusting" thing they were referring to that showed people gagging was that shake they were forced to drink. Man this show is so bad when it comes to previews. 

I could see why Demarco was cut but I don't know if he should have gone home just yet- the eggs were not really his fault. I feel like Gabriel should have been cut instead but neither one of them is gonna win anyway, so it didn't really matter which one went first.

• Love 1
Who honestly would get married in HK?

Not even if my only other option was a meth lab.   At least in a meth lab, someone will know their way around a kitchen.

Yeah, that whole thing had to be staged.  There's no way an actual wedding was going on and Ramsey just happened to be able to get his insane contestants to quietly come downstairs, fully dressed in their chef jackets,  just in time for it to start.  

Most reality shows run psychological tests on the contestants before signing them on, don't they?  Why doesn't this show?  It was a bit disturbing thinking that Demarco (?) was pretty much shopping for a father in Ramsey.

Eggs.  I've heard that the perfectly-cooked egg is the true test of a chef, but a decently-cooked egg is... not that difficult.

• Love 1

I was "stunned!" that they all managed to get that "amazing!" fruit salad out to the guests in time....Seriously, I was really worried about that, since that's an "incredible!" and difficult test of a chef's cheffiness.  

This show becomes more of a parody every episode.  

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that the contestants don't know the difference between a croque monsieur and a croque madame, but I was STUNNED by the SHOCKING revelation that Ramsay apparently doesn't know the difference either.

• Love 3

Not even if my only other option was a meth lab.   At least in a meth lab, someone will know their way around a kitchen

Heh! Very nice. So tired of every "challenge" going to commercial on a tie. This show has mostly become background noise while i'm surfing. 

• Love 1

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 'real' wedding in that the bride groom and party are actual people with an actual marriage happening. But having it right then and there in Hell's Kitchen? That's pure Hollywood fakery. 

As for who can't cook an egg? Look at last night's Canadian Chopped Canada (or next week's US airing of it) for someone else who can't cook an egg. :) 

Missed a chunk of eps due to PVR scheduling snafus and didn't miss the show at all. I've heard people suggest they cast it 1 true contestant for every 2 or 3 crazies, and that does seem right for the most part. The trick is figuring out the real contestants and hoping they can stay sane till the end.

• Love 1

I am not surprised that they couldn't cook eggs. They have to choose specific Chefs to go on stations and I swear that is done to ensure screw ups. Overall an ok episode but I can't wait until they get to the good Chefs and I can start to care.

Oh yeah I hate that every challenge goes into a tie… SO. PREDICTABLE.

Standouts for me continue to be Joy, Rochelle, and Melanie from the women and Anton, Scott, and maybe Chris from the men. And those are probably our Top 6.

Weird pacing in this episode. It jumped straight from "Nobody can cook an egg" to "Both teams are one dish away from completing service."

They have to choose specific Chefs to go on stations and I swear that is done to ensure screw ups.

Absolutely. Early in the season, the chefs that have a chance of winning tend to get stuck on the dessert station or doing tableside service so the dum-dums can screw up the appetizers.

• Love 1

My husband thought I was nuts but Gordon Ramsey was WRONG!!!!  A Croque-monsieur is a grilled ham and cheese sandwich with a cream sauce ladled over top then broiled.  A croque-madame is a croque-monsieur with an egg on top.  They were not making croquet-monsier.