Type keyword(s) to search

Artistic Gymnastics: Stick the Landing!

I do wonder if it was a male athlete with the same facial expressions and attitude, if there would even be an issue.  Would this be just brushed off as competitiveness and it would not even be reported.   But women are held to a different standard.  We are not allowed to be competitive and its looked down on if we show it overtly.  We are required to be supportive of our competitors when men aren't.  Just a thought.  To me there is obviously something going on with Gabby and even if there wasn't i have no issue with the things people on the interweb are complaining about

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

If anything I feel like there should be pressure with whoever takes over after Marta to make the decision making more democratic and less about one person (Marta). It's not fair that Gabby is being blamed because of Marta's decisions. If there's one thing that makes me cringe it's how all the girls always talk about "impressing Marta" as if that was the only thing that mattered to them. In that sense I won't miss Marta even though I respect her dedication to the sport. 

I agree sometimes I think Aly is part of a cult. At lest Simone spoke out against Martha at worlds. I understand why they don't.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:

I do wonder if it was a male athlete with the same facial expressions and attitude, if there would even be an issue.

Commentators sometimes make comments about the (Russian, Japanese, Chinese) male gymnasts being sour faced or being unsupportive of their teammates but nothing compared to the social media storm that blow up around Gabby.

It's not quite the same, but people did complain about Danell Leyva's behavior during quals and the team event. Hiding under a towel isn't very supportive looking. I'll take Gabby's faces over the ridiculous yelling the US men's team does any day.

• Love 5

Didn't the Soviet and then post-Soviet men used to kiss each other on the lips after each performance? That seems pretty supportive! I remember thinking it was sweet, but soooo different from how American men would act.

3 hours ago, sab85 said:

The men still wear the stirrup pants for everything but floor and vault where they wear the shorts. 

And as an essentially Olympics-only gymnastics watcher, it's been that way as long as I can remember (back into the 1990s)

1 minute ago, Cherpumple said:

Didn't the Soviet and then post-Soviet men used to kiss each other on the lips after each performance? That seems pretty supportive! I remember thinking it was sweet, but soooo different from how American men would act.

I remember some Russian kisses :)

China is up now on the rings

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gabby on DWTS next season.  Her sponsors are speaking out in support of her and she has been trending on Twitter and yahoo when others on the team are winning medals.  It may not be the win she expected, but she can use the experience to work in her favor.

I am beyond nervous for beam.  There are too many people that I want to see on the podium.  I am rooting for Simone and Laurie.  I also want Ponor to get a medal for Romania, Flavia to smash it for Brazil, and for Sanne to hit her routine and take it all.  Why are there only three medal spots?

• Love 1

the Greek gynmast got 
16.0 WOW.

1 minute ago, IdleBrook said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gabby on DWTS next season.  Her sponsors are speaking out in support of her and she has been trending on Twitter and yahoo when others on the team are winning medals.  It may not be the win she expected, but she can use the experience to work in her favor.

I am beyond nervous for beam.  There are too many people that I want to see on the podium.  I am rooting for Simone and Laurie.  I also want Ponor to get a medal for Romania, Flavia to smash it for Brazil, and for Sanne to hit her routine and take it all.  Why are there only three medal spots?

Me too. Beam is gonna be STRESSFUL. 

• Love 2

Big step back on the landing, and he had some wobbles on the rings, I don't think he's a factor.

15.233 for France. 

Igor Radilov is on (ooh this is the guy replacing the Dutch Gymnast who got drunk). 

his score is...
15.466 - no medals for him

Petrounias
Ablizain 
Liu is your leaders. 

some people make rings look so easy, the guy from Brazil looks like his head is going to explode.

OH.. he stepped back on the landing that might cost him a medal, but I think Petrounias is winning Gold. 

2 minutes ago, Daisy said:

his score is...
15.466 - no medals for him

Petrounias
Ablizain 
Liu is your leaders. 

No medals for China! Wow. Their last hope is Parallel Bars. Who would have thought they would show up with no finalists on Pommels and no medals on Rings.

• Love 3

Yeah, Zanetti's was medal-worthy, but not Gold-worthy in this group (and nice that the very vocal hometown crowd seemed to see the justice of that too). The GRE-BRA-RUS ranking seems right to me.

Edited by Rinaldo
1 minute ago, DawnDavenport said:

No medals for China! Wow. Their last hope is Parallel Bars. Who would have thought they would show up with no finalists on Pommels and no medals on Rings.

Not me. 
so... Tokyo is gonna be interesting. 
Japan was defending MAG Team/AA, and China demanding MEDALS...

Woohoo Greece for the Gold.  Good to see Brazil competing well in event finals.

And yeah I would not have expected Tears of Nothing on RINGS.  But then again a US man medalled on Pommels, I can't predict anything anymore.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, DawnDavenport said:

Can the gym gods give us #TearsofNothing on Parallel Bars?

Could you imagine?

1 minute ago, DawnDavenport said:

Now on to vault. This can either be a hot mess of near death or close to perfection. I like how there generally isn't an in between with men's vault.

geeze i hope it's clean.. at least no broken bones. (France's legs still haunt me).

1 minute ago, BlackberryJam said:

I kind of enjoy the hot messes, legs flailing in the air, arms pinwheeling, ass first landings, so much fun.

Unless there is an injury. *shudder* NO injuries!

I'm loving Tears of Nothing.

OMG, your description is perfect! Almost like a Looney Tunes cartoon.

For all the talk of how much the US sucks on pommels (and they do), at least they actually qualify someone for that event final every now and then. The last time the US had a finalist in rings was Blaine Wilson in 1996.

• Love 2

Agree on the Creepy Cult of Marta. I still remember when some former Romanian gymnasts accused her and Bela of beating them. Never knew if anything came of it, it just says on her Wikipedia page that Marta responded by calling the complainants "trash" (lovely response.) 

I thought it was weird when they came up with their team nickname in reference to her, rather than in reference to themselves.

• Love 1
Just now, greendog78 said:

Team Toe Point vs. Team Tears of Nothing

Or #TeamToePoint vs. #TeamCodeWhore.

Cause you know China will show up with 2 strong events, maybe it will be Parallel Bars and Pommel Horse in Tokyo, be mediocre on others, and luck their way to a team medal.

• Love 1
Just now, DawnDavenport said:

Horton just said "buckle your seat belts folks". Not something you want hear before the Men's Vault final.

(laugh) right? 
I don't know if i want to watch with my fingers over my eyes. 

Do the mean get to warm up before they complete or are they required to just go out there and chuck it and hope they don't end up in the hospital?

Cause you know the warm up gym vault, lighting, and reference frames are identical.

Edited by DawnDavenport
  • Love 1
Just now, DawnDavenport said:

Do the mean get to warm up before they complete or are they required to just go out there and chuck it and hope they don't end up in the hospital?

There is a practice gym in the back area of the arena where the athletes warm up before competing.